Teen finds 7.44 ct diamond in State Park

The diamonds in this park are not gem stone grade, they're more like industrial grade. They are yellow to brown in color and not nearly so valuable as gem grade diamonds. That being said, the park is still a neat place to visit. Been there, done that, didn't find a diamond. :(

There are some gem quality stones there. The one I found is white and decent clarity. The Kahn Canary diamond is known stone from there. Some of the larger stones have been cut into quality jewelry. Collectors like them due to the rarity of US diamonds. Mine is only 15pt. So maybe $150-200 stone to a collector. But valuble to me in my collection. I'll probbaly donate it to a mineral musuem when I die so people can see one. I tried loaning it to one. The museum was very excited to display a US diamond. Then director out of the blue said we don't take loan items any more, only donated. Needless to say they are not displaying the diamond. Their loss
The diamonds in this park are not gem stone grade, they're more like industrial grade. They are yellow to brown in color and not nearly so valuable as gem grade diamonds. That being said, the park is still a neat place to visit. Been there, done that, didn't find a diamond. :(

There are some gem quality stones there. The one I found is white and decent clarity. The Kahn Canary diamond is known stone from there. Some of the larger stones have been cut into quality jewelry. Collectors like them due to the rarity of US diamonds. Mine is only 15pt. So maybe $150-200 stone to a collector. But valuble to me in my collection. I'll probbaly donate it to a mineral musuem when I die so people can see one. I tried loaning it to one. The museum was very excited to display a US diamond. Then director out of the blue said we don't take loan items any more, only donated. Needless to say they are not displaying the diamond. Their loss

I sit corrected! :wow:

My wife and I almost went camping near this park last fall. Instead we went to the Eden Falls area near the buffalo river, Northern Arkansas closer to home. Hmm that could of been one of my 4 children scoring that diamond... For sure gonna make a trip there someday only about a 7 hour drive for us. Arkansas is a beautiful state.

MetalHead

That's cool, but I'm surprised they let him keep it, being a state park.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

It is crater of diamonds state park. One pays to hunt for diamonds. There have been quite a few diamonds found in that old crater.

We've been over yonder twice now, didn't find anything but had fun watching people searching. It looked like the night of the living dead, folks all walking around looking at the ground like a bunch of zombies and there we were right in there with them doing the same...

Up in the mountains north of there is my favorite crystal mine, we drive in, pay the $20 or whatever it is, park, then go dig through piles and piles of diggings from the mine. I bring home gigantic yard crystals from there... I usually load the entire truck bed with rocks since we have no rocks here where I'm at. Well worth the time and effort!

That's cool, but I'm surprised they let him keep it, being a state park.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

That park is FOR people coming out, sifting for diamonds etc.

Every year people find diamonds here....

Wonder what makes you an expert on this site??? KT, in his former profession, was the State Expert on the diamonds from this location, and most 1+ carat stones from this location are gem quality! Go to the Arkansas Geological Survey and look up the pamphlets on the Educational tab of their entry page to find the one KT wrote entitled...Finding Diamonds in Arkansas! :lol::lol::lol:

If you only been there once, then the odds are against you...takes about 100 hours of searching for a diamond to be recovered...according to Park statistics.

Wonder what makes you an expert on this site??? KT, in his former profession, was the State Expert on the diamonds from this location, and most 1+ carat stones from this location are gem quality! Go to the Arkansas Geological Survey and look up the pamphlets on the Educational tab of their entry page to find the one KT wrote entitled...Finding Diamonds in Arkansas! :lol::lol::lol:

If you only been there once, then the odds are against you...takes about 100 hours of searching for a diamond to be recovered...according to Park statistics.

Yep, plenty of nice stones found there. Most aren't, but there are some good ones, with nice clarity. Yellow, white and brown stones are found there. All would be wicked fun to walk over and pick up! LOL

Cheers,

Skippy

Yeah... out of the blue. In otherwords, "ooh, lemme have it, instead!" Bet they thought they were going to get it, too. LOL

Way to hold on to it. Museums shouldn't get to "keep" the stuff they display, if it's willing to be loaned!

Back
Top Bottom