Fisher F4 Frustration

mike_i

I've been putting writing this off for years now but it's finally gotten to me. I have an F4, it's the only detector I've owned or used so I don't have anything to compare it to. I hunt in dry sand at the beach. One problem I've had from day one is at times my detector is useless due to inference, it beeps so much it sounds like someone is in cardiac arrest. I'm not near any power lines, transmitter sites or other know sources of interference. It happens at almost all locations. I have found things but most of the time the beeps are false and really annoying. It's not the batteries, gain control, ground balance doesn't help, it happens with both stock coils. I've even covered the box with metal tape to block stray RF, nothing made a difference. It happens with the coil disconnected but is worse with the coil connected, I've also cleaned the plug contacts with electrical cleaner. Is this a common problem with the F4 or all detectors? I'm tempted to upgrade to another unit but I don't want to buy a new toy if I'm going to spend most of the time mad at it.

Have you talked to Fisher about this problem?
A phone call is free...ask for Felix if you call because not all the reps there are as well versed and logical as he is....some of them have been known to tell people some strange things.

My F2 could be chatty sometimes, lots of times but I always hunted with the sense turned all the way up.
Still it was never super bad, didn't happen all the time and if I turned the gain down it always got quiet.

Could be something going on at that one beach, have you hunted in other areas, other beaches or parks with the same problem to make sure it isn't the detector?
A 5 year warranty on this thing if you bought it new, hopefully you didn't wait too long and this is an issue that can be fixed if it is the machine and Fisher says they can fix it.

Try this also...it seemed to have worked on and corrected several wonky acting F2's over the years for a lot of us even though it is not supposed to do anything and according to the factory there is no factory reset on these models at all.
We don't care, we did it anyway and most of us were glad we did.

Hit the power button and leave your finger on the button pressed down for about 10 seconds after it powers up.
You won't see anything on the screen or hear any thing different and don't ask me why this sometimes works...it just does.

Are you hunting dry or wet sand? Every beach I got to in CA VLF goes nuts in wet sand.

If it's dry sand and you still have a problem, one call, thats all :)

GL~!

I had a f4 and it was real sensitive to emi. It would just go crazy like a machine gun. That being said I don't think that would be a issue with your coil unplugged. Sounds to me like it's time to send it in.

I've been on some beaches that are just iron rich, pita noisy. Black sand and lots of iron trash like square nails galore. Black sand can be a problem! And also sometimes the dry sand has salt wet sand under it, depending on how close to the water you are. Good luck.

I have a f4 and have had that problem a handful of times. no beaches near in WI!!! I took out the batteries for a few minutes, it seemed to work for me. I will try holding the power button as someone suggested if it happens again.

Fisher F4

Had a similar problem a few years back , sent it in to be checked out it had a defective circit baord and a defective coil , they replaced both ,with no problems since.

Back
Top Bottom