Looks like California State Parks are getting Nasty

The dude was detecting on Reclamation Land that doesn't allow detecting... that's pretty clear cut. Lots of beaches don't have regulations against detecting, why go to one that does? :?:

The only reason this happened, is because the news media made a big hoopala on the exposed foundations of a colorful little burg under that lake. Well you can guess this brought out every single beginner with a radio shack detector! There was even a youtube video (perhaps it's still there?) of someone walking around showing the viewer the various exposed foundations. And guess what's in the back-ground?? METAL DETECTORISTS doing their thing. Yup, several just walking around through the other lookie-lous, and no one was paying them a bit of attention. Is that to say it's "right" ? No, of course not. But just saying, that it took a lot of "front and center" news blitz and all sorts of clowns trying it, before someone got made an example of (in your link).

There were some others who posted on some forums who said they just got a warning (while others went unbothered and never heard "boo"). And even your link, talking about how they face possible jail time, I'll bet you money that won't happen. They'll get let off with a small fine and told don't do it again.

If it had been any other state park here, and assuming you weren't parading yourself at obvious historic sensitive monuments, you'd be hard-pressed to ever get more than a scram (and most likely be ignored).

Thus, no, "state of CA parks" aren't "getting nasty". It's just this one place d/t a particular sensitive thing. Now I grant you: Perhaps other rangers, in other sectors, at non-sensitive spots (regular campgrounds, etc..) might read that, and ...... then later on .... if they see md'rs, might think "aha! there's one of THEM", but ......

And here's another factoid: The state parks dept here that oversees the land parks (like this Folsom reservoir), is the EXACT SAME PARKS DEPT. that oversees the state of CA's beaches. Yup, same exact entity. And there's no reason therefore, why whatever rules they morphed in your link, couldn't therefore also be made to apply to the beaches too (afterall, you *might* find an old coin, eh?? Oh heaven forbid). But the odd thing is, you can detect state of CA beaches till you're blue in the face, and never hear "boo". In fact, over the last couple of days, we've scored a bonanza on one particular one (after storm erosion). And humorously, the state of CA jeep goes right past us (I think they were checking out erosion damage to their stairways, etc...). They never said a word to us.

And best to be left that way. Therefore, I would not get "all up in arms" or think all CA state land is off-limits, by a single scary link like that. That was an isolated incident, for a particular eye-sore that brought out archies and people making a nuisance of themselves.

I tried to look up the Order Number 690-001-2014, the rule for metal detectors, and nothing seems to come up, it must be so new it hasn't made it to they're site yet.

The dude was detecting on Reclamation Land that doesn't allow detecting... that's pretty clear cut. Lots of beaches don't have regulations against detecting, why go to one that does? :?:

If you look at the video, that rule was made & effective Jan 2014, so it must never been it the books before.

What's funny is I was out there in January. Saw about 15 others with detectors also. I spent about 5 hrs there and had many rangers drive past me and nothing was ever said. I bet these this couple was heading down to the Mormon island area whereas I was on the northern end by Dotons Point

Sandy

What's funny is I was out there in January. Saw about 15 others with detectors also. I spent about 5 hrs there and had many rangers drive past me and nothing was ever said. I bet these this couple was heading down to the Mormon island area whereas I was on the northern end by Dotons Point

Sandy

Say it isn't so ?? !! You didn't get a ticket and face jail time? That's funny, because several state-of-ca rangers drove past my buddies at I at a state beach storm erosion hunting on Sunday and Monday ....... and they paid us no mind.

I guess what I should do, is take this supposed new law, print it out, and show it to them, eh? Then follow it up with a question like "so can I metal detect ? huh ? huh ?"

Say it isn't so ?? !! You didn't get a ticket and face jail time? That's funny, because several state-of-ca rangers drove past my buddies at I at a state beach storm erosion hunting on Sunday and Monday ....... and they paid us no mind.

I guess what I should do, is take this supposed new law, print it out, and show it to them, eh? Then follow it up with a question like "so can I metal detect ? huh ? huh ?"

Maybe I should go again this weekend :?::?: I've never seen the inside of the jail:laughing::laughing:

Maybe I should go again this weekend :?::?: I've never seen the inside of the jail:laughing::laughing:

Ok, and if a ranger passes you by and pays you no mind, be sure to flag him down, show him a copy of whatever is in their verbage. Then generously drop words like "cultural heritage" , "arpa", "indian bone" "treasure", "dig", etc.... Now hurry, go do the right thing! haha

Lakes

Hey Sandy my buddy got a ticket at Lake Oroville...like 400.00 and something...AHHH.......will be out today somewhere?

Hey Sandy my buddy got a ticket at Lake Oroville...like 400.00 and something...AHHH.......will be out today somewhere?

Can you shed some light on this "ticket" mascard? I mean, like was he just at regular park, campground, or beach type thing? Or was there something historic down there, revealed now by drought, like this Folsom flap ?

SRA Parks / Lakes

Most of the Rangera are more worried that you paid the entry / day use fees around here.. They even gave us a list of parks to go detecting on..

ticket

Hey I will be out later to sandy..213-4669.............He told me he was on a beach(nothing Historic)....and one watched him?....didn't say or do anything....then another drove up...first one left...and then bam...came down and gave ticket...but it does not say metal detecting on it...something else ...like disturbing...the ground or something....I don''t think he was to happy..I know I would be upset!

I tried to look up the Order Number 690-001-2014, the rule for metal detectors, and nothing seems to come up, it must be so new it hasn't made it to they're site yet.

It appears the above mentioned Order only applies to Folsom Lake.

....He told me he was on a beach(nothing Historic)....and one watched him?....didn't say or do anything....then another drove up...first one left...and then bam...came down and gave ticket...but it does not say metal detecting on it...something else ...like disturbing...the ground or something....I don''t think he was to happy..I know I would be upset!

Well, then I have a few things to say about this then:

a) since this was an in-land park and lake (as opposed to the beach on the ocean), then ..... fine then: just don't go to state-of-Ca land parks. But the beaches aren't having, nor have ever had that happen here. (although I DID hear of a single run-in with an archie and an md'r on a state of CA beach, but nothing ever became of it, and .... thankfully .... no one went and sought "clarification")

b) Yet it strikes me as odd though that even though it's an inland park, yet it was a beach within the park. And as you say, not historical, not posted, and only relying on ancillary things like "disturbing" and "altering", etc.... Was this guy leaving craters or something :?:

c) If he was not leaving any marks, not finding anything historic, not in a sensitive area, and yet all this happened to him, I'd say either 1) ok, avoid land-locked state parks here, or 2) that was an extreme example. Ie.: an isolated incident.

What I mean by c-2 above, is this: SO TOO can you probably find examples of someone roughed up by an over-zealous cop (yup, fined, jailed, etc...) for nothing but a tail-light out. There are examples of over-use and over-zealous cops afterall. But does this mean we all fear driving now? No. We look at those things as "exceptions" and not the norm. But sure, if anyone's in doubt or worried, fine then: avoid in-land state-of-Ca parks.

Back
Top Bottom