1741 Coin of unknown origin...

Ace_Digger

I was out detecting last weekend in the historical village of Waterford, Virginia. I was at the school. I came across this coin. There are no letter markings on it, just the head of a guy with a crown and the back has a 3 masted tall ship. Check out the photos. If any one has any idea what or where it came from, I would love to know. I have been researching it for a week now and no clues!!
The date is 1741. I found it about 4-5 inches deep, it read a 38 on the TID of my X-70. It appears to be bronze. The date fits the time period of settlement (1733) of the area I was md'ing. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

Attachments

• Picture 004_edited.jpg
    Picture 004_edited.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 19,722
  • Picture 006_edited.jpg
    Picture 006_edited.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 18,388
Looks more like a medal than a coin.. check a medal forum, neat find... you may have something quite valuable there... RickO

That looks familiar - perhaps someone posted the same thing last year??? Can't remember if it was ever ID'ed, sorry.

You're right! Looks like the same thing.

phooey... I did a search on ebay and there wasn't one. :(

Thanks for looking y'all!

I have been searching for over a week and nothing! The only thing I have seen close to it, was in the link Dutchroots posted. I will keep on looking.

From that earlier link one side of the coin is shown but it's kinda dark to see. So I took the image and changed the contrast and brightness a bit. Here is what it looks like.....

Attachments

• 1741coin.jpg
    1741coin.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 18,203
Thanks!

Dutchroots, that looks exactly like mine. Thanks for a clearer photo.

Doug, I thought Middle East at first also. more specifically Iran/Persia! Nothing has panned out so far!

same two places I had in mind till now. I don't know what it is

Vitus Bering? Discoverer of the Bering Straight?

But... there is a crown on the head.

Vitus Bering? Discoverer of the Bering Straight?

But... there is a crown on the head.

Yeah I see that more clearly now..thought it may have been a helmet or weird cap or something else...hmmmm 1741...ship....had me thinking explorer...

unknown coin

I found an exact copy of the coin ace digger found. and i live in missouri. i was also curious about the coin, i will be looking for more info on the can and we post back if i find anything

I found an exact copy of the coin ace digger found. and i live in missouri. i was also curious about the coin, i will be looking for more info on the can and we post back if i find anything

Good luck, 3-4 other forum members have found same token and so far it's origin is still unknown.

Voriax

Back
Top Bottom