The Courland Pocket (Latvia) - Metal Detecting Relic Hunting

Interesting flare gun. I have a couple of Kar 98k Sauer und Sohn rifles that have the WaA 359 where Walther made parts for Sauer und Sohn.
Seems like the Germans used a lot of flares because you always see people digging them up on the YouTube channels. Some how shooting off flares on a battle field would seem like a good way to make yourself a target.

Hi,
Yes, there are a lot of those flare guns when we are digging up. There was flare gun for each officer to give a signal to his team.

I found very interesting thing. At start i couldnt imagine what is it, but then i realised that it is the Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate). Plate is in very good condition - with its original painting on it.
The Nahverteidigungswaffe was mounted on the Tiger I, Panther, Jagd Panther, Tiger II, Jagdtiger, Sturmtiger, StuG III, Pzkpfw IV and other late war German Armored Fighting Vehicles from March 1944 on.

http://www.oocities.org/desertfox1891/NahVtdgW/artnahvtdgw-Mountings.html

http://www.custermen.net/nahvert/nah2.htm

Attachments

• The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1a.jpg
    The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1a.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 874
  • The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1aa.jpg
    The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1aa.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 812
  • The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1b.jpg
    The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1b.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 790
  • The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1bb.jpg
    The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1bb.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 794
  • The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1d.jpg
    The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1d.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 804
  • The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1dd.jpg
    The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1dd.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 766
Nahverteidigungswaffe
Firing the signal pistol through the close-in defense weapon

Attachments

• The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1cPanther Ausf. G.jpg
    The Nahverteidigungswaffe (armored plate) 1cPanther Ausf. G.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 797
  • nvw_vs_b.jpg
    nvw_vs_b.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 771
  • nvw_vs_c.jpg
    nvw_vs_c.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 771
  • nvw_vs_d.jpg
    nvw_vs_d.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 767
Ammunition

The Nahverteidigungswaffe could use a variety of ammunition types.

The Panther turret manual calls it the "2,6cm Sprenggranatpatrone mit Zeitzünder Lp" (explosive round with time fuze). This was a high explosive round that had a range of 7-10 meters and with the timed fuze of 1 second would normally explode 0.5 to 2 meters above the ground. This round was fired from a normal Leuchtpistole (flare gun) or Kampfpistole (rifled flare gun) using the Nahverteidigungswaffe tube as a large pistol port. It was used to combat close assaulting infantry in the "dead zone" around the tank.

Attachments

• he22.jpg
    he22.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 795
  • frag.jpg
    frag.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 809
  • wurfgr.jpg
    wurfgr.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 815
  • nvw_vs_d.jpg
    nvw_vs_d.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 760
Transit bar Hook from Tiger I gun

Attachments

• coll1.jpg
    coll1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 967
  • coll2.jpg
    coll2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 928
Pzkpfw VI Tiger Track Pin

Attachments

• war-machine-wwii.jpg
    war-machine-wwii.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 884
  • 1 VI Tiger.jpg
    1 VI Tiger.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 834
part from Bosch headlight - Tiger, Panther, Panzer III IV (StuG)
Very good condition!

Attachments

• 2a1.jpg
    2a1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 762
  • 2a2.jpg
    2a2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 753
  • 2a1a.jpg
    2a1a.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 773
  • coll 1C.jpg
    coll 1C.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 763
  • Electronic5.jpg
    Electronic5.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 748
  • 15dryp5.jpg
    15dryp5.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 753
  • _0008a.jpg
    _0008a.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 794
part Notek headlight for Panzer, StuG, Sd.kfz (Sonderkraftfahrzeug) and other vehicles ...

Attachments

• 01a1.jpg
    01a1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 801
  • 01abb.jpg
    01abb.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 771
  • 795748.jpg
    795748.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 752
  • c83e830af_b.jpg
    c83e830af_b.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 744
  • munster-panzer-IV-tank.jpg
    munster-panzer-IV-tank.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 887
  • demag_1_3.jpg
    demag_1_3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 754
3rd SS Panzer Division Totenkopf
The 3rd SS Panzer Division Totenkopf was one of 38 divisions of the Waffen-SS of Nazi Germany during World War II. Prior to achieving division status, the formation was known as Kampfgruppe (battlegroup) "Eicke". Most of the division's initial personnel belonged to the SS-Totenkopfverbände (concentration camp guards), and others were members of German militias that had committed war crimes in Poland. Due to its insignia and name ('Totenkopf' = 'death's head' in German), it was sometimes referred to as the "Death's Head Division".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_SS_Panzer_Division_Totenkopf

SS-Totenkopfverbände
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-Totenkopfverbände

Attachments

• 546px-3rd_SS_Division_Logo.svg.jpg
    546px-3rd_SS_Division_Logo.svg.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 714
  • SS_Totenkopf.jpg
    SS_Totenkopf.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 724
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 760
  • t-34_early_.jpg
    t-34_early_.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 792
11. SS-Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadierdivision ‘Nordland’
1944–1945

Nordland, along with the rest of III. (Germanic) SS Panzer Corps arrived at the front near Leningrad and was put into action against the Red Army attacks aimed at breaking the German encirclement of the city. The Red Army forced the Nordland to withdraw to Oranienbaum. On 14 January 1944, the Soviet Krasnoye Selo–Ropsha Offensive succeeded in collapsing the German front, forcing the Nordland to retreat and fight "rear-guard" actions back to the city of Narva in northeastern Estonia to a new defensive line.

From 27 July 1944, Nordland fought alongside the 20th SS Grenadier Division (1st Estonian) and elements of the Grossdeutschland Division In the Battle of Tannenberg Line. During these battles the commanders of the Norge and Danmark regiments were killed in action. While visiting the front line, Nordland Division's commander, Gruppenführer Fritz von Scholz was caught in an artillery barrage and received a head wound. Scholz died on 28 July 1944. Thereafter, Brigadeführer Joachim Ziegler took over command of the Nordland Division.

Kurland Pocket
From late October to December 1944, the Nordland Division fought fierce defensive battles in the Kurland Pocket. Though the division had been assembled at Priekulė for a breakout to the south, the Red Army had become aware of the German intentions. On 16 October 1944, the battles for Kurland Pocket began when Soviet troops met the division’s attack with full force. Nevertheless, the division was able to hold their positions. During a second attempt to break the German forces in Kurland, the division was able to maintain its lines.
On 23 January 1945, a fourth Red Army attack to clear the Kurland Pocket, focused on Priekulė, was launched. Multiple Red Army assaults succeeded in breaking into the German positions. However, together with 14. Panzerdivision, Nordland was able to retake their positions after counterattacking.

In January 1945, the division was ordered to the Baltic port of Libau, where it was evacuated by sea from late October to December 1944, the Nordland remained in the pocket, by early December the divisional strength was down to 9,000 men. In January 1945, the division was ordered to the Baltic port of Libau, where it was evacuated by sea.

Attachments

• tumblr_o4ngp7.jpg
    tumblr_o4ngp7.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 761
  • 11._SS-Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadier-Division_„Nordland“.svg.jpg
    11._SS-Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadier-Division_„Nordland“.svg.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 736
Hi Lett,
I think you misunderstood what I meant. The black and white photo of the Waffen SS troops in your post #932 are members of the Totenkopf Division. You can clearly see the Deaths Head insignia on the collar of the two men on the left. They are definately not from Nordland.

Hi Lett,
I think you misunderstood what I meant. The black and white photo of the Waffen SS troops in your post #932 are members of the Totenkopf Division. You can clearly see the Deaths Head insignia on the collar of the two men on the left. They are definately not from Nordland.

Hi Simon,
Yes, Yes
SS Panzer Division Totenkopf soldiers

Help me identify this item. I have no idea what is it.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 673
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 676
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 679
Hi all,
In last few times i have been in many battle places where tanks are blown up and i dig up some tank parts.

Soviet IS Heavy Tank - Tracks links

Attachments

• 1de is.jpg
    1de is.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 612
  • 1dd is.jpg
    1dd is.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 656
  • 1d is.jpg
    1d is.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 648
  • 1c is.jpg