Equinox book

RWJR13

Forum Supporter
...I see there is a book from Beginner to Advanced....So did the writer have an 800, 4 or 5, 6 months back to learn all this information?..
.....Any Nox users here have it?.....Units only been out around 2 months...:?:..Ive got books from same writer on other detectors..good info..

Last edited:
I haven't seen this book, but I figure there's at least two guys on this forum who could do a book that is at least as good (and probably better) than this one.

...I see there is a book from Beginner to Advanced....So did the writer have an 800, 4 or 5, 6 months back to learn all this information?..
.....Any Nox users here have it?.....Units only been out around 2 months...:?:..Ive got books from same writer on other detectors..good info..

Lots of good info posted on this forum. And quite a few folks who I think can give good advice..Even with their limited time on it since its release.

Soil mineral levels where you use Equinox is a driver for operating Equinox.

Lots of good info posted on this forum. And quite a few folks who I think can give good advice..Even with their limited time on it since its release.

I agree, user's here could be helpful. Just seems too quick to write a "know all" book.

I have the book. It's very informative and covers a lot of topics on the controls and how to adjust it on beaches and inland to find gold and coins. Definitely worth reading.

Can you provide any info about the book? Where is it available? What's the title? Who's the author? I'd like to check it out and see if it's worth a look.

Can you provide any info about the book? Where is it available? What's the title? Who's the author? I'd like to check it out and see if it's worth a look.

I have the book too. Clive Clynick is the author and has authored detecting books for something like 25 years. He also offers group classes and one-on-one training too. He is a subject matter expert so when a new detector comes to market, it doesn't take that long for him to discern controls and share how to make the most out of its settings.

Think of it like this. Mario Andretti is famed Formula 1 driver, and drove for many different mfg's. Recently, Chevy asked him to drive and review their new ZR1 Corvette. He didn't need to own it for 6 months to tell you the pro's and con's. A wheel is a wheel, an engine an engine. Controls are a bit different, but the driver adapts after a few laps around the course. Similar for a new detector.

Order the book. Here is the link: http://www.clivesgoldpage.com/new-book-minelab-equinox-beginner-advanced/

I have the book. It's very informative and covers a lot of topics on the controls and how to adjust it on beaches and inland to find gold and coins. Definitely worth reading.

I have the book too. Clive Clynick is the author and has authored detecting books for something like 25 years. He also offers group classes and one-on-one training too. He is a subject matter expert so when a new detector comes to market, it doesn't take that long for him to discern controls and share how to make the most out of its settings.

Think of it like this. Mario Andretti is famed Formula 1 driver, and drove for many different mfg's. Recently, Chevy asked him to drive and review their new ZR1 Corvette. He didn't need to own it for 6 months to tell you the pro's and con's. A wheel is a wheel, an engine an engine. Controls are a bit different, but the driver adapts after a few laps around the course. Similar for a new detector.

Order the book. Here is the link: http://www.clivesgoldpage.com/new-book-minelab-equinox-beginner-advanced/

I agree Clive's book is an excellent way to get up to speed. I sell it in my shop and online. How did he become advanced so fast?

http://www.myersdepot.com/products/equinox-series-from-beginner-to-advanced/

:)

Well I happen to be a nay-sayer and I don't recommend books. I BELIEVE a person can get enough experience and knowledge from the forums and from just getting out and swinging the machine.

Some of us give all our advice and knowledge free. Some see a way to make money off of folks in the same hobby.

BUT to each their own. Some learn by doing, some by reading.

I wondered the same thing Robert. ;-)

Well I happen to be a nay-sayer and I don't recommend books. I BELIEVE a person can get enough experience and knowledge from the forums and from just getting out and swinging the machine.

Some of us give all our advice and knowledge free. Some see a way to make money off of folks in the same hobby.

Metal detecting is not an easy hobby. All the getting up/down and digging can wear a person out. On a personal note, I have 2 screws in my left ankle, 11 screws and 2 plates in my right ankle and it is fused. Plus 4 screws and titanium in my back with one less rib on my left side. A hard day of detecting and I feel it for a few days after. So for me to justify the aches and pains that comes from detecting, I need to have a high treasure to trash ratio. I will get just as sore digging 50 tabs as I will digging 50 coins. So I have to detect smarter, not harder. I have to learn my detector well so as to be more proficient with it. So I will read a lot about detecting and detectors. The forums are a great resource and I learn a lot from them. But forums also contain inaccurate info that can be mislead someone. A person needs to filter the info. Books are a great resource as well and contain accurate and reliable info. Learning your detector can greatly reduce the learning curve. It helps a person gain quality experience in a shorter time.

I really have no choice but to catch on quickly and gain as much knowledge as I can so I don't beat myself up for nothing. My options are limited. I learn to detect smarter not harder. I take advantage of as many resources as possible. The forums, books an videos. The Clive Clynick Equinox book is a solid book with useful and easy to understand info. It is well worth reading.

A person who has been using a metal detector for 20 years either has 20 years of experience or 1 year of experience 20 times.

Got the book and my nox 800

I agree, take the time and search the forum for the topic you are interested. When I first started metal detecting in 1988 you had a manual and maybe some very general books and of course the best was magazine articles on metl detecting.

The author of the mentioned book is experienced and with self-publishing, he can turn out a decent book in a matter of a few weeks.

my Nox 800 is coming in two days. Cannot hardly wait.

update: I have had my Nox 800 for about 2 months now. No problem using the presets, eg park 1&2 etc. But setting the advanced options was somewhat of a challenge compared to my AT Pro. The book helped a lot in this aspect. It gave me a better understanding what all the extra options were for especially on the tone break settings. Did not have this ability on the AT Pro.

The book is very good that it is so Equinox specific, and more so on the 800 settings. Once you have read this book and really understood what you have read then you need to take your Equinox out at areas you normally hunt or have hunted and put in some hours so you will be able to put your learning to actual use. The best 800 feature in my opinion for me is the tone breaks. I have mine set so bullets 16 thru 19 will sing out loud and clear on the wireless headphones.

Last edited:

I take this approach to learning almost anything now days. I used to buy books to learn new subjects, but now I read forums and watch youtube videos. I found that too many authors sell books with 50 pages of information and 150 pages of filler. I guess they figure most people won't shell out money for a 50 page how to, but if they add enough pages, readers think they are getting their money's worth.

I'm not saying this book isn't worth it, but my approach with most detectors has been to read for a while, then detect for a while. Rinse, repeat. Each time you apply the knowledge, you become able to build upon that skill. So wherever you are doing your reading, you may find it helpful to reread some of that info that may have been above your pay grade the last time you read it. You may be surprised at some of the details that stand out once you have more hours of experience under your belt.

I'm not saying this book isn't worth it, but my approach with most detectors has been to read for a while, then detect for a while. Rinse, repeat. Each time you apply the knowledge, you become able to build upon that skill. So wherever you are doing your reading, you may find it helpful to reread some of that info that may have been above your pay grade the last time you read it. You may be surprised at some of the details that stand out once you have more hours of experience under your belt.

Read, hunt, read, hunt......... I like using all the tools available and as I get older, I've found my reading comprehension is not what it used to be, so I'm always amazed at how much better I comprehend reading something the 2nd time around after I've used the product.

The problem you face today is that a metal detector is part detector and part computer. In times past, you just had a metal detector and the knobs just dealt within the perimeters of the detector. But with the advent of adding processors to detectors, the complexity of the settings have become something that may require some extra learning.

This poses a problem to newcomers who has to learn both the basics of metal detectors and then learn the user programing. This can be overwhelming. Even though more complex detectors like the CTX 3030 and to a lessor extent, the equinox 800 or White's spectra V3I, and others all have a push and go detect mode so that anyone from a beginner to advanced can use them, it still requires a lot of learning to be able get full use out of the detector. The instruction manual of these detectors are more like books than manuals and are essential to learning the detector.

No matter how advanced detector technology gets, it still must be usable for an average person. But even at that, it still requires a little or a lot of learning.

If you pay upwards of $1000 or more on a detector and never learn to utilize the settings, you could have saved yourself a lot of money. Those who have a lot of experience with detectors can learn the setting a lot faster and easier than those who are new to the hobby. You already understand basics of detectors. The settings is all you have to learn. But the settings can be extensive even to an experienced detectorists.

So it is becoming more of a necessity to buy and read books, join forums and read comments, watch videos and find experienced detectorists to help you. So books are a great resource that can give the beginner and experienced a lot of valuable info and save them a lot of time.

My advice is to USE EVERY AVAILABLE RESOURCE AT YOUR DISPOSAL.

Clive Equinox book

I have the eq600. Unlike EQ manual, author did not take the time to notate
paragraphs/sections that are unique to 800 (i.e. asterisks or other notation).

Its still worth the price.

Since I'm an audiophile, think of the book as a review of an integrated amp or preamp.
It plays just fine out of the box, just use the volume control. But if you want to learn how / when / why to use high and low filters (think discrimination), a balance control, loudness circuits (think sensitivity), turnover frequencies, pass-through, (think all-metal mode), overload protection circuits, etc., etc., then the book is a joy. It's not going to instantly make you a recording engineer. But it will give you a better insight into what it takes to be one.

And somewhere early on, he apologizes for not separating the 600 / 800 features.

Still a good read for any 600 / 800 owner.

AND there you have it folks. You have the answer.

Some recommend a book, others do not. Who is right??

NOBODY!!

If you feel it will help you, by all means drop the cash and get it. If you feel you can learn on your own and through the forums by all means go that route.

BUT no matter what, EVERYONE needs to buy one of them their Equinoxes so they are not considered inferior detectorists among their friends and acquaintances. if you are not on the bandwagon you will be shunned and considered an outcast. Your posts will probably be ignored and soon you won't be able to show your face on any detecting forum. Even if you found a hoard of gold coins with your outdated and inferior detector, your credibility will be nil. Terrible situation to be in.

Back
Top Bottom