• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

River Raisin National Park

.... I had read it in newspaper article

Maybe I'm confused on what you're saying. You read *what* in a newspaper article ? That someone was detecting private land, with permission, and STILL got his chops busted ? Or was detecting public land, where no prohibitions existed, and still got his chops busted ? Can you clarify what "it" is ?

.... " You need to be have writing permission with you or something that clearly states that it is public property when every they are out at that area" ....

Why does someone need to have permission , in writing, when detecting on public land ? Assuming, for sake of discussion, that md'ing is not prohibited. And if you have any story where someone got his chops busted for detecting public land, where not prohibited, I would very much like to see it. I have a suspicion that something else was amiss. Ie.: someone being obnoxious in some way. Or someone sneaking an obvious sensitive monument. Or someone who cant' take a warning (because perhaps someone thought he was about to leave holes) etc...

I have no doubt that "newspaper clippings" can be found, where, sure : Someone got his chops busted for md'ing an inncous sandbox @ a city park where no rules existed. Sure. Flukes happen.

So too can I show you a newspaper clipping where a guy got a ticket for eating a hamburger while driving . (No joke !) Obviously such a clipping is a fluke by an over-zealous cop (he called it "distracted driving"). And obviously no one is going to stop driving when they read such an article. And obviously we don't go seeking permission to eat hamburgers and drive now. And obviously we write such flukes off, for exactly what they are : "Flukes".

Unless I'm mis-understanding what you say we need written permission for. Because unless there is some sort of specific/explicit dis-allowance of md'ing on public land, then .... no ... No permission is needed . And same for private land. If someone says "go ahead", then verbal is fine. In the same way that if you invite a guest to your house for a party, they don't need to "carry around written permission" while in-your-house.

Tom,

Ray Ray Ray, let's get this straight: You heard of people who were detecting on private property, with permission , yet WENT TO COURT, and "HAD EQUIPMENT CONFISCATED", blah blah .

Ok, got a link ? Who did you hear this from ? I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it's just "something they heard" too :roll:

The "IT" you are asking about is for the response to you, when you asked where I had heard about the person being arrested and I told you in the newspaper.

I don't see what is so hard to understand about having something on you that proves you can detect in this case when somebody said they were going to cause trouble for Collin. You can do what ever you want but on this situation I would try and have my ducks in a row before I went.

I think we are getting off track.

Collin, hope you can get back out before the park takes over the land.

Ray

... The "IT" you are asking about is for the response to you, when you asked where I had heard about the person being arrested ....

But this isn't answering what he got arrested for. That is the "it" that I am trying to get defined. Was he arrested for detecting on public land, that had no specific rule/law forbidding ? Was he arrested on private land, for which he had permission to be on ?

JUMP THE FENCE BRO IF IT DOESN'T SAY NO METAL DETECTING BY MEMBERS OF THE FRIENDLY METAL DETECTING FORUM WHO'S REGISTERED USERNAME STARTS WITH C GO FOR IT!! WOOOOOOOOO

right tom in CA?

.... right tom in CA?

Ha :roll: All I'm trying to say is that : If someone gets a scram, or the stink-eye, etc.... does not mean the "solution to prevent this in the future", is to carry around written permission.

Yes I know it might *seem* like that is the perfect antidote to such un-pleasant encounters, eh ? But then the devil becomes in the details : The moment you start asking public entities to "put permission in writing", is the moment that they're going to dream up "no". Ie.: Permission in writing just conjurs up images of legal hassles, danger, etc.... Whether it be asking the property owner to "put that in writing" or a public desk jockey "put that in writing".

I get permission all the time, on private land, with nothing more than a verbal . Because if you, a total stranger, shows up at someone's doorstep with a contract for them to sign, is the FASTEST way to get a "no". And I hunt public land all the time , and have never had the need for written permission . Unless, of course, there were some sort of express dis-allowance. Then ... sure ... you'd need permission.

Back
Top Bottom