Votes: 81 7.7%
  • BH Discovery 1100, 2200, 3300

Votes: 22 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 98 9.4%

• Total voters
metal detector

Used to have a white 600. What would be a good replacement?/

I personally think you should get the best one you can afford. Otherwise you will be changing up and have a new learning curve with each change. Just a thought.

The Teknetics Alpha 2000 could be described as a decent starter detector, they are less than $200.00 brand new.

Yeah, but it ain't yeller. :D

For under $200, it's an excellent choice for those who want a screen ID.

On the other hand, a Tesoro Silver µMax is an excellent detector for the beginner, but it's also a great detector for the veteran user.

beephead

Bounty Hunter VS. XP Deus!!.???

From 6 years old to 48 years old I love MD'ing. Started up again recently. Bought an M6. Then traded it for a V3I. Just traded that for an XP Deus. With high end detectors I found some pretty cool stuff. HOWEVER, my girlfriend has a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2. She finds just as many cool finds as I do AND sometimes I'll pass over a signal and then have her try it as well. At times I get what I think is a crappy signal with my $2000.00 Deus but she gets a good signal with her Bounty Hunter and vise vers. Moral of the story: Whether it's a $165 Bounty Hunger or a $2000 XP Deus, the driver of the detector is the key to success to finding treasures. Also, I'm not totally convinced that the best detector necessarily is ruled by cost. The most expensive is not the best. I think there's a happy medium and I wouldn't run out and by top end thinking your going to get something light years ahead of a good basic detector. More features, maybe a tad more sensitive but not definitively much better. Garrett AT Pro. Whites M6, Teknetics 4000 with DD coil. Fisher F4, Bounty Hunter 3300, can't go wrong.

I hit the XTerra as its a bomb proof learners unit. Tight vote along a Compadre or Silver though.

Wow...I couldn't believe the high score for the Ace Series. I'd rate them as the worst detector for begginers I've ever used.

I hit the XTerra as its a bomb proof learners unit. Tight vote along a Compadre or Silver though.

Wow...I couldn't believe the high score for the Ace Series. I'd rate them as the worst detector for begginers I've ever used.

:umno: That's odd:?: I haven't found gold yet (have found gold plated earring in the dry sand), but have found silver and it did fine with me:yes: I guess, opinions can be given and are "open". I don't know, I guess to each his own:D I'd have to say with my personal experiences thus far with the ACE series is that it is VERY GOOD with the coins although I will ADMIT that the bottle caps can be a bit too much, but USUALLY you can tell when the signal "breaks up" if you 90 your search on the target in question... I have a tendency to "circle" around the target. Other than that, I've seen/heard people STILL dig the target in question either way as you will NEVER know WHAT is beneath you unless you DIG!!! Also, during my work lunch break today, I went to my usual local park and found a small object 6in down just like the screen told me... wasn't anything other than junk (i.e. was coming up as a nickel closer to foil)... BUT... the point being is that the detector was telling me 1) there's an object here 2) toning in as nickel/closer to foil and 3) it is about 6inches deep. Sure enough, it was a BB sized object of some sorts AND it was pretty darn close to 6inches deep. For the most part, all of my finds thus far the detector's IDing has been pretty darn close and the extra info (i.e. depth, ID type, etc) has been pretty accurate as well. Pinpointing is EASY with the ACE250 as well. NOT pushing the ACE, just giving a FAIR honest response to actual finds and NOT just bashing a detector without going into detail on WHY ".... I'd rate them as the worst detector for begginers I've ever used." At my job, I NEED to come up with actual DATA and not just heresay, or else I get my as_ handed to me by the Senior Engineer. If a module is NOT performing like it should then I NEED to break out the Tektronix MSO 4ch digital o'scope and start probing the pwb and find out WHY and present the data found. Anyways, again, a fair honest answer about the ACE. Sometime down the road another detector is in the works and more than likely a Fisher, but the ACE will definitely still be used. Either way... HH \_ to all and just have FUN with the hobby.

And yes, it is a more than capable/easy to learn beginners detector. The Fisher F2 would be the "other" choice (i.e. VDI MD'r) and hear GREAT things about it as it is in the price range of the ACE250. I will leave that "data" to the F2 guys/gals out there as I cannot give a fair comment comparing the two. But thus far, I am happy with the results of the ACE series for what it is.

HH \_ people

I personally think you should get the best one you can afford. Otherwise you will be changing up and have a new learning curve with each change. Just a thought.

I feel that a beginer should start with something simple and easy to use. You don't want to put a lot of money into something that you may find later that you don't enjoy as much as you thought you would. As for the F2 and the Ace 250, I have both. I bought the Ace first but after using both, I would have bought the F2 instead.

:umno: That's odd:?: I haven't found gold yet (have found gold plated earring in the dry sand), but have found silver and it did fine with me:yes: I guess, opinions can be given and are "open". I don't know, I guess to each his own:D I'd have to say with my personal experiences thus far with the ACE series is that it is VERY GOOD with the coins although I will ADMIT that the bottle caps can be a bit too much, but USUALLY you can tell when the signal "breaks up" if you 90 your search on the target in question... I have a tendency to "circle" around the target. Other than that, I've seen/heard people STILL dig the target in question either way as you will NEVER know WHAT is beneath you unless you DIG!!! Also, during my work lunch break today, I went to my usual local park and found a small object 6in down just like the screen told me... wasn't anything other than junk (i.e. was coming up as a nickel closer to foil)... BUT... the point being is that the detector was telling me 1) there's an object here 2) toning in as nickel/closer to foil and 3) it is about 6inches deep. Sure enough, it was a BB sized object of some sorts AND it was pretty darn close to 6inches deep. For the most part, all of my finds thus far the detector's IDing has been pretty darn close and the extra info (i.e. depth, ID type, etc) has been pretty accurate as well. Pinpointing is EASY with the ACE250 as well. NOT pushing the ACE, just giving a FAIR honest response to actual finds and NOT just bashing a detector without going into detail on WHY ".... I'd rate them as the worst detector for begginers I've ever used." At my job, I NEED to come up with actual DATA and not just heresay, or else I get my as_ handed to me by the Senior Engineer. If a module is NOT performing like it should then I NEED to break out the Tektronix MSO 4ch digital o'scope and start probing the pwb and find out WHY and present the data found. Anyways, again, a fair honest answer about the ACE. Sometime down the road another detector is in the works and more than likely a Fisher, but the ACE will definitely still be used. Either way... HH \_ to all and just have FUN with the hobby.

And yes, it is a more than capable/easy to learn beginners detector. The Fisher F2 would be the "other" choice (i.e. VDI MD'r) and hear GREAT things about it as it is in the price range of the ACE250. I will leave that "data" to the F2 guys/gals out there as I cannot give a fair comment comparing the two. But thus far, I am happy with the results of the ACE series for what it is.

HH \_ people

I do not bash any detetector. What I will do however, is rate every detector I've owned.

The Ace, is that all you have used? I doubt at this time that you could handle the truth about them.

If you would like me to go into the details why I think they are the worst detector for a learner. And if you'd like me to "present the data" on to you, feel free to ask.

But be forewarned....I'll be handing you're Ace's as_ back to you on a plate.

I own an Original Tesoro Bandido (not the II) and an Ace 250.
Both have been fun detectors to own.
I have never had the opportunity to try, or observe others using the detectors in this poll and I have limited experience in the hobby.
I will say that I like the 250 and it has made a real nice detector to start out with.

I do not bash any detetector. What I will do however, is rate every detector I've owned.

The Ace, is that all you have used? I doubt at this time that you could handle the truth about them.

What truth??? I like it, I'm NOT gonna hit it with a bat!!! I have also used an F2 as well just to let you know. And YES, you ARE "bashing" the ACE. You have your opinions and I have mine, but I'm NOT gonna just tell someone that the ACE, "... I'd rate them as the worst detector for begginers I've ever used." That, I'm sorry, is "bashing" a detector. They all have strong points and weak points. AND NOT everyone likes a tone only machine as well. People have different likes about how certain things are built and/or function. I was NOT "hating" on you for saying it that way, just my humble opinion that it is NOT THAT BAD!!! I respect your opinion just as much as anyone else should, but don't disrespect someone elses in return:no:

For what it is worth, I didn't NOT mean it that way. Me personally, I like VDI's more over than tone only machines, but I STILL listen to the tones and break-up of the tones and THEN look at the screen for extra information. To each his own, it was only a matter of a view point. Thus, going back to your comment, "truth"??? If you HATE the ACE THAT MUCH then so be it... I bought the thing with MY money and I like what I have thus far. IF I bought a Tesoro... probably like that one to, but still not bash other detectors. Gonna leave it on this note, I ABSOLUTELY HATE HARLEY's!!! BUT, with that said, if I'm stuck out in the middle of B.F.E. and a Harley was my ONLY chance out of there then I'm ON THAT HARLEY!!! I'm NOT gonna complain about the tools that I have available to me and just work with what I have. Thus, to each his own and HH \_ fellow MD'r...

p.s. NOT here to make enemies as life is too short for kcrap like that... again, JUST a humble opinion of mine about the ACE...

:beers:

If you would like me to go into the details why I think they are the worst detector for a learner. And if you'd like me to "present the data" on to you, feel free to ask.

:wow: DUDE, you NEED to take a chill pill... was JUST giving an opinion of MY own to your response. IF you can't take that then you are NOT a friendly MD'r... just an opinion man... relax because it is ONLY a hobby man... W.T.?.

riddle me this, can I AT LEAST say "hi" on the forum or do you hate "friendly people"??? You're taking someone else's opinion too seriously man... seriously, RELAX!!! There ARE worse things out in the world to worry about than someone else's opinion that counter acts yours.

HH \_

Why don't you just keep that info to yourself... there are many very happy Ace users out there.

Just a suggestion, I am going to subscribe to this thread for when a newbie will join and I can copy and paste this thread when they ask our opinions on which detector to purchase as a first and they can see the poll for themselves and hopefully they ask questions pertaining to the MD that they are contemplating on getting. I know that I am still a newbie, but I sure did appreciate, and still do, the advice that I get from you seasoned veterans.

If it's your fault newbies are able to see this without voting, THANKS ... :)

The only other option we have, if we have no clue, is to pick one or choose 'other'. Each of those choices skews the result. This access saves us a lot of time in reading all of the posts carefully.

I'm sure everybody who posts has a good reason for their pick. Reading them all is long and not as helpful as one might think. What might be useful (and might be here, but I haven't stumpled upon it yet) would be a 'cautions' sticky thread, based on personal experience, not rumor.

As of now I'm going to take the top five and research them to see what I will start off with. Then, I will probably ask for a sanity check somewhere on these forums, when I find out where to best do that. Your input, in that way, is important.

Thanks for the help all have given me (us) already.

Started off with a Fisher f-4. Then a whites mxt and on to the Etrac. I still have my mxt and use it for a back up to the Etrac. If I was going to buy a beginners model. It would be the fisher f-2 or a whites coin master. If that person decided metal detecting was not for him or her. That individual would not be out a lot of money.

BH Platinum?

I'm a newbie; joined this forum today. I do not yet own a metal detector, but am enthralled with the idea of finding things people have dropped on the ground. . . including me (have tools and parts of tools that I've lost on my lot that I know are somewhere on it, but can't find them). I started looking into getting a detector a year ago, but the shear volume of what's available + the cryptic 'jargon' from those with experience + the gnormous diversity of opinions on "what's best" dissuaded me from pursuing the matter :?:.

But the urge won't go away, so I'm back looking into it again, partly because of an ad that came into my e-mailbox from MetalDetector.com advertising the Bounty Hunter Platinum for $300, free shipping. Reviews I've read about it are quite positive, but it's not on the list in this thread (why?). So even though I run the risk of getting 20 responses each telling me a different detector is the best, I'm asking "What models do you think I should consider and why?" I'm not very interested in spending more than $300 until I gain some experience. However, I also don't cotton to the idea of having to continually upgrade what I initially buy/would rather get a good one that I can live with a very long time. So, what should I get?

Back
Top Bottom