old farm houses

tommyb

i just started detecting and i found a 55 wheat penny right behind an old farm house. I searched for a couple more hours and found nothing else but part of an old butter churner and a bunch of aluminum cans and pull tabs. The last time the house was lived in was the eighties and now there is a bunch of tractor supplies lying around. I can't check everywhere i want, but there has to be more. Any suggestions? i have looked all around the perimeter, where the garden used to be and around all the tall trees, but can't find any silver or any old coins. As a matter of fact i can't even find any clads. I was just wondering if it was my detector, my skill level, the location, or because of the snow? thanks, i can use all the help i can get.

Probably a combination but if the snow is very deep your detector wont go as far....kinda like holding your detector 3 inches above the ground and it says the target is 6 inches but that includes air.

yeah i kind of figured that. i guess i'll try again on a warm day or when spring rolls round. Thanks

Not an expect here....but I make grids when I MD a big place so I don't miss any areas and also overlap my swings some due to the cone so as to not miss any deep targets.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Tom...

Sometimes area's with a lot of trash will give you more finds after you have removed all the shallow junky finds, go over same area's again.

If that site gave up 55 wheats that would indicate to me there is more there. Coming back under better weather conditions would be good, removing all trash as you find it would help clear the way to better/deeper finds, and returning to hunt as your skill level improves should also produce more finds. At any rate don't give up on it and hope to hear of many more nice finds in the future.

If this place has trees i would hit them. You know how kids love to climb trees and they always drop money there. Also look to see where an outhouse may have been. If you found a wheat there has to be silver! If you find another coin hit that spot hard because there may be more. Always go back over your plug and check it again.

I too hunt old farm houses. I've had the most luck hunting around the largest trees surrounding the house. Directly in front of the house, and especially the ones behind the house. I've found some really nice relics such as old toys in the rear of the house, and most of the coins come from the front of the house. Remember that if there is wheaties, there is a good chance that there's silver around too. Try turning down your sensitivity especially in the really trashy areas. I hunted yesterday in about 2 inches of snow, I think the snow and cold mix gives alot of distorted signals, I recommend hitting it again in the early spring, and pay close attention to what your detector is doing when you find aluminum tabs/cans, try not to waist time digging garbled signals like that, it will drive you crazy. And also pay attention to the size of the object that is being pinpointed... you'll get the hang of picking out the cans. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom