CTX headphones, explanation, please.

flyguy784

Elite Member
Ok, so the headphones that came with my unit went caflooey about a year ago. I bought a fairly inexpensive pair of Phillips phones. I've been using them since. About $40 as I recall. They're light weight, have taken quite a bit of abuse and seem to work quite well.
As I'm going on the JD#2 hunt next month, I want to get a backup/replacement pair.
My question is; should I invest in a "better set" like the killer bee's etc. Or, just stick with what has fetched me loads of silver coins, musket balls, buttons etc. over the last year? If so, WHY??? If these Phillips have the frequency response, don't kill my batteries in my WM10 module, what advantage does a "dedicated" set of metal detector headphones give me?
Now, if there's a reason, what set is everyone using that seems to be optimum? I'm willing to put out the bucks if it's justified.
Thanks guys.

I am not familiar with the particular brand of headphones you mention, but I have come to some conclusions about headphones I have used. My Fisher did not come with headphones, but I have about 6 sets from various other pursuits so I use them. I have noticed that different headphones have different qualities. I have a set of Koss Pro 4s that give excellent fidelity but completely cover my ears which does not allow me to hear someone approach from behind. So I use them only when I am off in the woods and not TOO concerned with other folks. I have an inexpensive set of Sonys that came with a portable cassette player which do not cover my ears and they are my choice when I hunt parks and public places where others are a factor.

I think you have to look at what each set of headphones offer and if they meet your needs for the particular type of hunting you do.

The only thing I see that the MD specific phones offer is individual volume controls. A few of the sets I have are quite loud so I bought an extension cord with an inline volume control (Radio Shack) and it works for both the sets that are too loud for me.

with the CTX you have to make sure that the headphones will cut out the external speaker. I believe if you use the wireless module any set will I just havent tried it. I know most of the guys I know use the grey ghosts with the waterproof connector. I personally use a custom made set. You can make your own for about half the price of what the grey ghosts cost. Others use the sunray for the ctx. If you got a pair of headphones that are made for detecting I think you would have better finds that dont produce as high of a sound because of depth.

Headphones

Thanks to the two guys that responded. I contacted Jason via PM and he recommended the Sunray Pro Golds, specifically for CTX. I ordered those from Bart at Big Boys.

Pro Golds are made by the same guy who makes Killer Bee's and most of us Wisconsin boys use the Killer Bee's and Pro Golds, nice choice. I still cant figure out why people want to go cheap on phones or the stock ones. You will increase your finds greatly. Congrats and good luck.

I use grey ghost. Very comfortable after several hours of detecting. I also like the external noise reduction if I am hunting near a farm or a highway. I know the better I hear the more I find.

I use $10 earbuds that I got off amazon. They work great. The only reason I see to change them out is if I am going underwater and I have the GGUW for that purpose. And those earbuds work fine attached to the machine or when using the wireless unit. I actually stopped using the wireless unit because it was just another thing to worry about. I did appreciate it being wireless but it was more trouble than it was worth.

Just received a set of Pro golds. So far I really like them. great volume adjustment.

I sent back the Grey ghost underwater headphones as they were WAY WAY WAY too quite. Completely worthless. btw my at pro versions we great!

As far as the stock go I actually really liked them aside from every pair I have owned the cord has pulled out of the plug end.

Last edited:
I really like the UR30's that come with the CTX3030, that is with the exception of the input jack going bad. I solved this by buying a couple high quality 1/4" jack and replacing the jacks on all my UR30's (have 4 pairs)
I just recently bought a set of the Sunray Pro Golds from Bart at BBH and must say I LOVE the quality of the sound as well as the "feel" of the volume controls. High quality components make a huge difference when you are taking equipment out in the field and really putting it through their paces.

I bought a pair of Killer Bees from a forum member and I heard things my standard headphones could not.
I tried swinging over targets with both and the Killer Bees destroyed those factory headphones:yes:

Well I've had my new Sun Ray's on several hunts. I love them. Don't know that I was missing anything with my old Phillips set but these are really nice. Super comfortable, great fidelity and great extraneous noise attenuation.

Back
Top Bottom