ZIPPO-de-DOO-DA!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Different kind of cache find, I guess.

I was in Walgreens and I see on the back wall behind the checkout area where all the smoking stuff is they have basic, brushed, full sized zippos in blister packs on a super sale.
Obviously closing them out because their regular price is $21.95 but they are marked down to like $5.69 or something weird like that.
If you look around you can find these at Walmart and online for about $10-15 so not a great regular price but at $5 I got very tempted.
Now I don't need any, I must have about 8 Zippos around here plus a few broken ones and 2 that I dug up that all should go back to the factory for reconditioning and on top of that I quit smoking and got into vaping so I don't use lighters much anymore but I still carry a lighter around with me because, well, it's fire...you never know when you might need some.

I decide to get one just because it's so cheap so the girl grabs one, scans it and says it is only $2.19!.
That threw me for a loop but I recovered and said if that's the case give me two.
Then a couple of days went by and I kept thinking why didn't I buy more?
Again, don't need em and dont ask me why but at $2 each I just had to get more and I went back and got all that were hanging on the display.
These were only the ones on the display, are still more in boxes under the counter they tell me.

Now, what to do with them.
I have been looking at YouTube vids watching people using Dremel tools to etch the cases on Zippos but I think acid etching might be fun to try.
If I can find a nice stencil of a metal detector and can pull that off that would be cool to carry around, I think.
I have plenty to practice on, that's for sure.

Attachments

• 20190714_064619.jpg
    20190714_064619.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 425
Think about this, the regular price at Walgreens was $21.95, a little high because I see these online for about $14.
I bought these lighters for $2.19 each, that is a ten times markup which is pretty good for retail.
Way good, actually, if you can get that.
They are dumping these so it makes me think...are these a loss leader where they are actually losing money on every one or are they at cost?
Not sure that this company is willing to lose money on these, even if it isn't much in the grand scope of things.
If that is true did they really buy a huge slug of these things at $2.19 per unit?
What the heck is the markup on other higher end models, I wonder?
I think this was probably their cost, remember, the sale price is supposed to be $5.69 but when scanned they come up $2.19.
I bet somebody was supposed to program the scanners to read the higher price but entered the lower price in, instead, which is cost price.
If anyone loves to take advantage of someone's brain fart to get a super deal it's me.

I guess if ya got the buying power you can make all kinds of large, surprisingly disounted purchases...I just happened to come across this closeout sale at the right time to get in on the deal.

Last edited:
Think about this, the regular price at Walgreens was $21.95, a little high because I see these online for about $14.
I bought these lighters for $2.19 each, that is a ten times markup which is pretty good for retail.
Way good, actually, if you can get that.
They are dumping these so it makes me think...are these a loss leader where they are actually losing money on every one or are they at cost?
Not sure that this company is willing to lose money on these, even if it isn't much in the grand scope of things.
If that is true did they really buy a huge slug of these things at $2.19 per unit?
What the heck is the markup on other higher end models, I wonder?
I think this was probably their cost, remember, the sale price is supposed to be $5.69 but when scanned they come up $2.19.
I bet somebody was supposed to program the scanners to read the higher price but entered the lower price in, instead, which is cost price.
If anyone loves to take advantage of someone's brain fart to get a super deal it's me.

I guess if ya got the buying power you can make all kinds of large, surprisingly disounted purchases...I just happened to come across this closeout sale at the right time to get in on the deal.

You smoked it! Wonder what you could get on EBay or some place like that?:cool3:

Dave,

Glad you got the "deal-of-a-lifetime !" on those Zippos, however, I don't imagine they're collector grade so, like sllingshot47 indicated, maybe you could figure a price that e-Bay buyers can't resist and make some easy profit (like dug gold rings.) !
Otherwise, sort of a "white elephant".

ToddB64

Last edited:
Ya did good! KT ran across a similar deal on those seen on tv atomic lighters. Normally listed for $19.95, KT found them on sale for $4.99 at an overstock store. His Majesty purchased 5 of them, charged them and has them stored ...1 in each vehicle, 1 in every day carry bag, and one in 3 day survival bag as part of His Royal Firemaking Kit. Went back a week later to purchase more and they had sold out! At least KT does not have to add fluid periodically to them like is necessary with zippos. Also have a few cheap bics stashed away just in case! Ha ha!

Love Zippos. Made in America, to the same standard they were made 50 years ago. Don't see that anymore. Not good for bong hits though.

Back
Top Bottom