Nox 600 VS Nokta Fors Core + VDI Chart

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
I have been doing some testing comparing my Nokta Fors Core and the Equinox 600. These are all air tests. My purpose is primarily to understand the NOX VDI system better, but I have also included the max depth for each target. I compare the Fors Core to help me understand the VDI's I'm used to VS what the NOX is telling me.

Once I have performed the ground testing I will post those results. I have found some very interesting info which I will share after my ground testing is complete.

**Note that the Nokta has 11X7 coil and operates on single 15khz while the Nox has the 11x11 coil and was tested on Multi.** These are my results so far:

Attachments

• Air Test 1.jpg
    Air Test 1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 13,501
  • Air Test 2.jpg
    Air Test 2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3,172
The Nox is a dig more trash detector. That's compared to the Max, F75 and the Multi Kruzer as well as your Nokta detectors.

I would like to know the same thing about your Nox quarter IDs. Mine don't read with variances like that.
29 to 31 depending on composition.

IDK? equinox I do not like the battery and where it is located besides that speaker in the back filled with sand idk? I think its going to be a warranty thing after years then people going to be confronted with fixing it or buying the next new gadget. much like the throw away cars. if it costs more to fix than its worth why should I thing...:?::hornetsnest::signals::dumb::hmmm::research::gettinmoney::coffeetable::goodpost::my2cents::foottap:

All my nox ID's are within 2 digits rock solid, something is wrong with your machine.

It never occured to me that the mighty Nox might be faulty, seeing that it's so new. I figured everyone had this problem. This would solve so many problems and headaches if it meant getting repaired or replaced. I wonder what Minelab would actually say if I tell them "the numbers are too jumpy". They would probably laugh and hang up. What do the rest of you Nox users think, do you have really jumpy numbers? This has been an issue for me since day 1.

It never occured to me that the mighty Nox might be faulty, seeing that it's so new. I figured everyone had this problem. This would solve so many problems and headaches if it meant getting repaired or replaced. I wonder what Minelab would actually say if I tell them "the numbers are too jumpy". They would probably laugh and hang up. What do the rest of you Nox users think, do you have really jumpy numbers? This has been an issue for me since day 1.

Yes, you're numbers have a huge variation especially on coins and rings. For an airtest they should be bouncing maybe one digit if that. But, I noticed your recovery speed is set at one for your test. Maybe just try resetting park 2 to factory default and see what happens. Also try a complete factory reset by holding the on off button for eight seconds.

All detectors will be fooled sometimes.
An Equinox tip here for folks.

Use of 5khz single freq to check targets, especially in sites with lots of modern trash.

See this pic.
33m1s88.jpg

In mulit freq using small coil on Nox, the beaver tail will yield nickel like ID and pretty steady. Emulates a nickel really (close).
Switch. To 5khz and then sweep.
Watch the ID on beaver tail compared to nickel.
Nickel still more stable, beaver tail definitley starts spreading out with ID.

Folks can try this experiment with gold ring and see what happens too.
Don’t forget about your depth meter. Use it.
Deeper indicated target, things may be a little different.

If you are digging bottlecaps using Nox, you need to employ 5khz and you’ll notice a noticeable higher ID vs using multi.

A forum member and myself hunted a trash ridden park last week.
I sure didn’t dig a bunch of junk. Oh yeah it was there alright.

Now if I were after gold rings, I would,definitely have to dig all the junk.
But this would go,for every VLF detector made I know of.
Folks after copper and silver, leave the 22 and lower reporting alone unless you love digging aluminum twist caps. The IH coins can read a bit lower in the 19-20 range. Again use your depth meter. Shallower would tell me likelyntwist cap odds wise.

I would be inclined heavily to dig any target reporting in the 7-15 range using mulit freq that wouldn’t sound off period using 5khz. That target might be a good one. I would me more inclined to dig a dodgy ID target if when sweeping using horseshoe button and I heard iron tone cutting in fast on edges. This may indeed be a compromised nonferrous target giving faulty ID.

In a nutshell, use all the tools Equinox gives you.
If you are on a search and destroy mission just digin mainly all signals have at it.
I got better things to do with my time.
There are no absolutes, any time you pass on a target for whatever reason, could a good target be missed?? Yep.
But I like to play the odds game.

I'm just curious because I almost think reading your reply that you posted on the wrong thread. Are you implying that looking at his crazy VDI readings, that somehow his detector is getting fooled in the air test?

I just gave a tip to folks.
A free tip.
Based on actual use of Equinox.
Btw, Makro Mukti Kruzer, Impact users can also benefit from the tip too.
There will be another detector released soon this will apply to too.

OK, so you’re just posting random tips off topic in threads, cool.

Lol. Thanks for trying to get this thread back on track. We can all use free tips. Brian4brian reminded us that sand could get in the speaker and the location of the battery is not his preference. Two cents? Or too many beers :cheers:

Im going to perform the ground tests and go from there. If the ranges are still way off, which I suspect they will be, Ill be calling Minelab. Ill post the results here first to double check.

Im going to perform the ground tests and go from there. If the ranges are still way off, which I suspect they will be, Ill be calling Minelab. Ill post the results here first to double check.

If you can, I would re-install your software update.
I presume you are running an updated machine.
If not, more than likely Minelab will ask you to do this.

If you can, I would re-install your software update.
I presume you are running an updated machine.
If not, more than likely Minelab will ask you to do this.

Wanted to share an update, I reset the 600 to factory settings and then un-installed my 1.75 update back to 1.5. I then re-installed to 1.75 and guess what? IT"S A NEW MACHINE! lol. Pinpointing actually makes sense now, it's actually discriminating iron in the ground (before it was hitting hard on iron in the ground but for some reason did discriminate in the air test????), and I'm getting target size based on volume which it never did before. Really strange.

And I'm actually picking out targets before I dig them. Quarters 28-30, dime 24-26, Penny 20-24. So whatever happened, I'm much happier with the machine. I'm still digging a lot of trash but I have better information to decide if I should dig or not. Anyone else struggling with their machine may want to take the previous advice, Factory reset, roll back up date, and install new update.

Wanted to share an update, I reset the 600 to factory settings and then un-installed my 1.75 update back to 1.5. I then re-installed to 1.75 and guess what? IT"S A NEW MACHINE! lol. Pinpointing actually makes sense now, it's actually discriminating iron in the ground (before it was hitting hard on iron in the ground but for some reason did discriminate in the air test????), and I'm getting target size based on volume which it never did before. Really strange.

And I'm actually picking out targets before I dig them. Quarters 28-30, dime 24-26, Penny 20-24. So whatever happened, I'm much happier with the machine. I'm still digging a lot of trash but I have better information to decide if I should dig or not. Anyone else struggling with their machine may want to take the previous advice, Factory reset, roll back up date, and install new update.
Now those are legit numbers!

When I first read your chart, I thought that it looked rather legit and normal, especially after the tests I did after the update with Canadian coins.. various coins bounce the numbers like crazy, which now helps me decide to dig or not dig.. Gent suggested that depth will help decide as well but I've found many tabs and caps shallow and deep..

I think I too shall redo my update and see if that helps... Is the reverted backwards in firmware complicated? Any links to how it's done?

Thanks for the tip TNSHARPSHOOTER, I'll be looking at the 5mhz again as well.

Cheers

Good for you !
I've heard of others having problems .. the fix is just what you did. There should be zero reasons for not running the latest software, unless a blatant issue is present, and verified by an ample sample size (few hundred machines? or more?).

Anyone having issues of wavering TID's on US coinage, and / or reading low numbers with the Equinox series, should definitely re-install the update. In my book, that should be a 'sticky."

When I first read your chart, I thought that it looked rather legit and normal, especially after the tests I did after the update with Canadian coins.. various coins bounce the numbers like crazy, which now helps me decide to dig or not dig.. Gent suggested that depth will help decide as well but I've found many tabs and caps shallow and deep..

I think I too shall redo my update and see if that helps... Is the reverted backwards in firmware complicated? Any links to how it's done?

Thanks for the tip TNSHARPSHOOTER, I'll be looking at the 5mhz again as well.

Cheers

It's easy to do. Go here and download correct update for your computer. When you open it, it will tell your version, 1.5.0 is the old and 1.7.5 is the new. On this screen, in the bottom right hand corner, there are three dots ... It took me a minute to find it but its there. Click that and it will allow you to go back to 1.5.0 Before you do that, I recommend doing a factory reset (Hold power down for 8 seconds and wait for high tone), then revert to 1.5.0 and then go to 1.7.5 :)

https://www.minelab.com/anz/metal-detectors/treasure-detectors/equinox-800?view=downloads

It's easy to do. Go here and download correct update for your computer. When you open it, it will tell your version, 1.5.0 is the old and 1.7.5 is the new. On this screen, in the bottom right hand corner, there are three dots ... It took me a minute to find it but its there. Click that and it will allow you to go back to 1.5.0 Before you do that, I recommend doing a factory reset (Hold power down for 8 seconds and wait for high tone), then revert to 1.5.0 and then go to 1.7.5 :)

https://www.minelab.com/anz/metal-detectors/treasure-detectors/equinox-800?view=downloads

Well THANK you very much for that nugget.. three dots ;) missed that all together.. when things are simple some of us (me) tend to overthink.. sigh.

Got the back and forth update completed, will be going out soon to see if that settles down the coin bouncing numbers... then again it could just be a Canuck Coins thing.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom