I have no need for a buddy

I typically hunt alone and am not really looking for a hunting buddy but not opposed to it either. My main issue is that between wife, 3 kids, job and everything that goes with it I'm not a very dependable person to hunt with. I typically only get a quick hour or 2 in when I have the time which isn't nearly as often as I would like to. I just moved recently to a new house, been in it about 3 weeks now and not even turned my detector on yet. I do see Dayton Diggers has a club near me and I may meet up with them sometime and see what kind of crew they got but time is the factor right now. Maybe this winter sometime.

its not the finds. its the camaraderie. found a great friend a few years back on this forum. could care less about the finds actually. sure i like to find stuff, but i like to see stuff found too... by a good friend. in bad areas there is safety in numbers. my friend and i both have health conditions... his can get deadly serious in a flash with allergic reactions and another heart attack, as well as walking issues. again.. safety in numbers... and i also enjoy immensely see other people find stuff on this great forum! . this beats the !!!! tv shows. i try not to watch hollywierd anyway. rather watch a youtube or look at pixs of a coin. boring? not to me... enough for everybody to find!

I'm definitely a loner. Was really raised to be one. I'm sort of a "latch key kid". Was left alone from age 9, when father died, till 12:30 am in a mobile home, trailer park. Mom had to work. Im 60 and still I'm just used to being alone or with my wife so it's natural for me to hunt alone. I definitely agree with the comment " This forum is meeting up with detecting friends ". Maybe some day I'll meet up with another and hunt but no immediate plans to do so.
Some of us have once had friends, and I mean in all aspects of life, but it didn't seem to work out well and that's me anyway. HH

To each their own i guess

That I do agree..

For me....... I don't need or want a hunting partner either. Been there, done that...And why would one think this, Freedom. Nothing against the hunting partners from the past ..but I can go when I want, stop when I want. I can jump beach's, or do a double shift without having to wait for someone else. I find a Hot spot in the water I don't have to worry about them pouching, it's mine. I find what I want ......I leave.

As far as clubs. Most are land hunters and hunt for relics or silver, boring... And the few water hunters there want you to share or take them out. Not going to happen. And don't get me wrong, all good people. It's me, I'm a Pirate and l love my "Freedom" and my "Gold".

As far as the forums, I do enjoy chatting and helping. I guess that's where I get the companionship needed to fill in for the hunting partner.

Gotta love Francis...

am I the only man that does not need a hunting buddy?
I do not need or want a hunting buddy or do I want to join a club!

i GUESS THAT MEANS YOUR ONLY HEAR TO SHOW OFF YOUR FINDS ?
SORRY IF WE ALL OFFEND YOU
iM SURE NO ONE HERE ASKED YOU TO JOIN

but if you would kindly give us all a hint as to why your here if you dont want or need us as you say ???

I'm like you Man! Who needs a Hunting Buddy? They Suck and so do Clubs!

Then, one day out hunting all alone, I ran into this nice Lady trying to figure out how to run an AtPro...It was obvious this was her first time out, so I sauntered on over and started up a conversation in an effort to help the reputation of the Hobby of course...

Well, as we got to looking at her rig and getting it GB'd and all that, we got to talking about things...She told me her Husband just died a few months ago, left her with a massive fortune and no other heirs, and She needed to find something to do to fill in her lonely days...so she got a metal detector which she always wanted since she was a little girl growing up on a Kansas farm...

So yeah, I consoled her, offered her a non filtered smoke which she gladly accepted and totally enjoyed....then, as we relaxed in our company, I recited some poetry, a few lines from "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes, which showed her I was not a completely ignorant drunkin tosspot booboo and had a modicum of class...that set her at ease..chicks dig poetry...We dropped her Sens 3 clicks on the Pro and went Pro Zero mode..

We talked about Music and travel and how Life is one big adventure best experienced out of doors and how big this Planet is etc, how most people suck etc..We talked about the Perseid meteor shower and how it would be cool to view it from Greenland...drinking Coors Light Beer and smoking at night and then having unprotected sects beneath the shooting stars, running around buck wild nakid on top of an ancient glacier?

Did I mention she was a Victorias Secret Model? Also featured on the cover of SI's Swimsuit body paint edition a few years back? So......Even though I dont like hunting buddies, I have made an exception here...We have hunted the Globe as 'Hunting Buddies' for the past few years...flying into Fiji on Her G5 to work the sand, Globe Hopping to the Seychelles in season, theres no way we can ever spend off her inheritance, but we are sure trying! She likes my company on account of I have a very big 'personality' lets just say...

So yeah...dont paint yourself into a corner regarding dismissing the need for a Hunting Buddy...Not all hunting buddies are the same...Did I mention Mine has also been medically diagnosed as a "stage 10 Nymphomaniac with a One Lover obsession"? Yeah, theres some drawbacks, but WTH? She has a helicopter, calls me all the time, lands the damn thing right out here in the parking lot at my Olde Folks Sleepy Tyme neighborhood, and I gotta grab my gear and go!......My Wife of 50yrs dont give a Tinkers Cuss!...WTH is that noise? I just say thats my dmaned old Metal Detecting Buddy wanting to pick me up and go finds some pennies! She says, "tell that damned guy not to make so much noise!" I'm like Yeah, poor old bastard...well, thats a 1996 Mercury Marquis station wagon for you......:laughing:

You think I'm, bullshiddinya? Well, YOU Started it!:laughing:

Last edited:

I agree. Metal detecting is a solo activity. It is also competitive because anything good found can only be found once and either you or someone else finds it. It’s better to hunt by yourself.

Thinking about going to the Classifieds For Sale section of this great website and stating unequivocally "I NEITHER WANT TO BUY OR SELL ANYTHING" .... just so everyone is clear

I'm like you Man! Who needs a Hunting Buddy? They Suck and so do Clubs!

Then, one day out hunting all alone, I ran into this nice Lady trying to figure out how to run an AtPro...It was obvious this was her first time out, so I sauntered on over and started up a conversation in an effort to help the reputation of the Hobby of course...

Well, as we got to looking at her rig and getting it GB'd and all that, we got to talking about things...She told me her Husband just died a few months ago, left her with a massive fortune and no other heirs, and She needed to find something to do to fill in her lonely days...so she got a metal detector which she always wanted since she was a little girl growing up on a Kansas farm...

So yeah, I consoled her, offered her a non filtered smoke which she gladly accepted and totally enjoyed....then, as we relaxed in our company, I recited some poetry, a few lines from "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes, which showed her I was not a completely ignorant drunkin tosspot booboo and had a modicum of class...that set her at ease..chicks dig poetry...We dropped her Sens 3 clicks on the Pro and went Pro Zero mode..

We talked about Music and travel and how Life is one big adventure best experienced out of doors and how big this Planet is etc, how most people suck etc..We talked about the Perseid meteor shower and how it would be cool to view it from Greenland...drinking Coors Light Beer and smoking at night and then having unprotected sects beneath the shooting stars, running around buck wild nakid on top of an ancient glacier?

Did I mention she was a Victorias Secret Model? Also featured on the cover of SI's Swimsuit body paint edition a few years back? So......Even though I dont like hunting buddies, I have made an exception here...We have hunted the Globe as 'Hunting Buddies' for the past few years...flying into Fiji on Her G5 to work the sand, Globe Hopping to the Seychelles in season, theres no way we can ever spend off her inheritance, but we are sure trying! She likes my company on account of I have a very big 'personality' lets just say...

So yeah...dont paint yourself into a corner regarding dismissing the need for a Hunting Buddy...Not all hunting buddies are the same...Did I mention Mine has also been medically diagnosed as a "stage 10 Nymphomaniac with a One Lover obsession"? Yeah, theres some drawbacks, but WTH? She has a helicopter, calls me all the time, lands the damn thing right out here in the parking lot at my Olde Folks Sleepy Tyme neighborhood, and I gotta grab my gear and go!......My Wife of 50yrs dont give a Tinkers Cuss!...WTH is that noise? I just say thats my dmaned old Metal Detecting Buddy wanting to pick me up and go finds some pennies! She says, "tell that damned guy not to make so much noise!" I'm like Yeah, poor old bastard...well, thats a 1996 Mercury Marquis station wagon for you......:laughing:

You think I'm, bullshiddinya? Well, YOU Started it!:laughing:

Have you send this to the Penthouse Forum yet? :heartylaugh:

This might sound crazy, but I have almost the exact OPPOSITE problem. Over here, where I'm at, if a red-hot old-town demolition site starts up, it seems I can get on a megaphone to all the md'rs in the area. And will be lucky if a single one shows up to check it out.

Same for beach erosion : I find a spot that's eroding and turning up scores of targets. I call a bunch of buddies, post it on our local forum ("Come one ! Come all"), yet am lucky if I get a single taker to accompany me.

I can recall only a single time, that I told someone "don't go without me", yet found out that he'd gone on his own despite my wishes. But for all other times (in over 40 yrs. md'ing), have not had the back-stabber experiences that you speak of.

That's crazy that nobody shows up! If I were in your area, I would love these kinds of invitations.

Back
Top Bottom