Best Detector?

ukaradag

Hi all,
What is the best detector you have ever had? This information is going to help me to buy my first detector. Help needed. Thanks.

Dont buy what works best for everyone else, buy what works for YOU ! What kind of hunting do you plan on doing? Parks, ballfields, ocean, the white house? :laughing: no such thing as a best detector, each has there own strengths. Its like going into the tool shed and asking which screwdriver works best? :lol: welcome to the forum, and enjoy!

Hi all,
What is the best detector you have ever had? This information is going to help me to buy my first detector. Help needed. Thanks.

You first have to figure out if the hobby is for you. Buy something relatively inexpensive new or used from a name brand. Budget for a pinpointer and a good digging tool. If you're just popping shallow coins in a park you might not need a pinpointer or any tool other than a screwdriver. But, the pinpointer and name brand used detector should hold much of its value if you decide not to stick witih the hobby.

Once you have your detector, search online for the best settings for the kind of detecting you want to do. Or, if the detector has default modes for type of hunting, then stick with those. Go dig 500-1000 targets.

After that experience you'll know if you want to stick around, and you'll know better than us what it is you want in a detector. Or, you'll be able to ask more specific questions.

Last edited:
Hi, I am going to work on fields( dry areas). The depth is important for me. The area may contain minerals such as chromium. And I want also iron separation. Thanks.

I am mainly a coin shooter. There are many good detectors but I am doing well with my Equinox 800.
I also like my Garrett At pro.
My Sovereign Elite works well in saltwater.
My beep and dig Tesoro compadre works well.
So does my Ace 250
Had a Fisher f70 that was versatile and sparky but couldn't jell with it.

Field hunting I would buy a tesoro vaquero, cheapest and deepest for the price, and light..i mean you really don't need much else for fields

Woody

Only one problem , they are now out of bussiness, if i were you , i wouldn't recommend a Tesoro to anyone now, the problem is no warrenty and no one to do repair's , this manufacturer might of had good machine's in it's day , but now gone , plain and simple. Simple formula for me, when a manufacturer goes out of business, or sells his business , use causion , or i stop buying , otherwise it open's the door's for :worms::worms::worms::worms::worms::nono:

depending on budget, fisher f5 or f70 may be the way to go. they are super light and great separation.

One of my best/favorites is still the xterra 705. Simple but adjustable and versatile. Deep in my soil with the 3khz coil. IDs deep target well, great tones.

Also as Woodbutcher suggested the vaquero. For the price, great performance and reliability of the vaquero I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of warranty.

And as Skwrly suggested the f70/patriot is great too.

I can not point out my "best detector". Each detector has/had it's specific qualities. For modern coins you need other specifications then for roman or celtic, and for militaria you need again others.
Even my "worst" detector (chinese cheap hardly transcend kid-detector level) did "best" on the job for which i bought it. Better then my "best" detector.

I've hunted next to all the detectors known as "best" and i never found less.
To me "best detector" doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Hi, I am going to work on fields( dry areas). The depth is important for me. The area may contain minerals such as chromium. And I want also iron separation. Thanks.

Love my Nox but I have found way more with my F70 pretty much because I used it way longer.
The Patriot is the same thing but at half the price.
A high end detector with tons of features at a low, midrange price.
Light, fast, superior iron separation compared to many and in the right dirt shockingly deep.
In the decent soil out in Kansas and Missouri I was able to hit the 10-14" depth range easily on coin sized targets.

You first have to figure out if the hobby is for you. Buy something relatively inexpensive new or used from a name brand. Budget for a pinpointer and a good digging tool. If you're just popping shallow coins in a park you might not need a pinpointer or any tool other than a screwdriver. But, the pinpointer and name brand used detector should hold much of its value if you decide not to stick witih the hobby.

Once you have your detector, search online for the best settings for the kind of detecting you want to do. Or, if the detector has default modes for type of hunting, then stick with those. Go dig 500-1000 targets.

After that experience you'll know if you want to stick around, and you'll know better than us what it is you want in a detector. Or, you'll be able to ask more specific questions.

agree with this post. buy an used but good basic detector like Ace 400 or AT pro or similar priced detectors from any major detector manufacture. Buy from a sponsor on this forum or eBay. Either way, you will most likely get a good used detector with recourse if it arrives not as described.

Get experience, find out what type of detecting you like. If you live within an hour from an ocean beach that will make you want a good water proof beach detector. Remember these basic detectors I mentioned above retain their used value pretty good. I sold my AT Pro within a week on eBay.

Jumping into a high end detector can be expensive and frustrating unless you know what you are doing.

One of my best/favorites is still the xterra 705. Simple but adjustable and versatile. Deep in my soil with the 3khz coil. IDs deep target well, great tones.

Also as Woodbutcher suggested the vaquero. For the price, great performance and reliability of the vaquero I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of warranty.

And as Skwrly suggested the f70/patriot is great too.

agree with you muddy on the tesoros...tough ass little detector, with a bullitt proof reputation.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Minelabs (xterra?) are known as heavy. Tesorro's as lightweight.
Minelabs are known for their slow recovery. Tesorro's are known as sharp, and fierce on small objects from mediaval ages and older.
Minelabs are known as very good, as Tesoro's also are.
But you don't need a minelab for modern coins and relics, were f.i. an Ace will do as well or perhaps even better and cheaper.
Which is best??

Again, it's a personal choice about personal preferences. What do you want to find.

The Minelab Xterra models are not heavy or slow like the Explorers. They slow down when using alot of disc but its not necessary as the number of tones and the pleasant sounds of the tones. A new 305 can be had for around $250 and is far superior to an ace in my opinion. I agree it's a personal choice about personal preferences and he's asked for opinions...

ukaradag said:

Hi all,
What is the best detector you have ever had?
This information is going to help me to buy my first detector. Help needed. Thanks.
I have owned some 'best detectors' in the past that were the best I had at that time for the particular task and site challenges I was taking on. Most of those have been replaced with models that I determined were better, or 'best' (for me) based upon:

• their performance for specific tasks
• being lighter-weight
• being better balanced

The 'Best Detector' is a selection made at the time for what you plan to be doing and where you're going to be hunting and the conditions / challenges you're going to deal with. I have models in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit that I'll grab first if I am going to work an urban tot-lot with metal structures and a lot of targets because I want the 'Best' model I own for better results.

If I am going to work a densely iron infested ghost town or urban renovation site, I'll grab one of the models I own that are superior (aka 'Best') for handling ferrous debris, providing a quick-response and fast-recovery to help unmask potentially good targets.

On a different occasion I'll tackle a large, open-area at a park or private yard were I have a greater likelihood to find older-date and higher-conductive targets, and where there's a chance some might be a little deeper, and for that I have a 'best' detector and search coil combination I prefer.

Over half-a-century of detecting has taught me there is no 'perfect' detector, and also that there are some 'cheap' or 'inferior' detectors that lack impressive performance and/or versatility. Those I avoid.

But there are some that have acceptable in-the-field performance and can handle quite a few tough challenges, and, from those, I use them to determine which of them I prefer. The ones that feel better and seem to work better for me and the applications I have for them. Those make up 'The Best' that I own and select from.

In time, and with more experience working a variety of site challenges, you're likely to settle on what YOU feel might be 'Best' for your needs.

Monte

That is a tough question due to a lot of factors. But since you are new to detecting avoid the v3i till you have lots of experience. Look at nokta, garrett, fisher, whites mid level to entry level machines. Should find something to work for you.

Back
Top Bottom