Colonial Coins and More...

ollievon

Elite Member
I haven't posted lately and thought I would show you guys some good finds I made in this recent new farm permission I recently acquired. The farmer doubted I would find anything, but regardless told me to "knock myself out" and go anywhere I wanted any time, sweet!

The field boarded a small stream and from the old maps I did see I house had been there in 1862, but signs of it were gone and I figured it was worth a try, maybe I would find some Wheaties at best...boy was I surprised! Within the first 5 minutes and about 25 feet from where I parked I nailed a strong hit at 6" down...so I dug and out pops a nice green coin (although I was expecting a flat button since I've been skunked a zillion times thinking it was a coin, ha!), but low and behold...it was a copper, and a King George III!!!! My mind was blown and I was hooked for the rest of the morning as you would imagine.

Below are the hits I got that morning: 1845(Braided) Large Cent, 1827 (Matron) Large Cent, 1757 King George II farthing, 1787 King George III 1/2 penny, 1802 Draped Bust. I also hit a 1783 Nova Constellatio and a 1782 1/2 Reale...which I will post tomorrow.

Needless to say, I cleaned up that field, but there are more...I just know it and will be back. I only found 2 flat buttons (will post pictures of those tomorrow with the other coins), one button is small and oval shaped, it has an image of an anchor with a rope, any ideas of what it is out there???

Attachments

• IMG_3102.JPG
    IMG_3102.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_3164.JPG
    IMG_3164.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_3162.JPG
    IMG_3162.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_3165.JPG
    IMG_3165.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_3166.JPG
    IMG_3166.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_3167.JPG
    IMG_3167.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_3168.JPG
    IMG_3168.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_3169.JPG
    IMG_3169.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_3170.JPG
    IMG_3170.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_3171.JPG
    IMG_3171.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_3172.JPG
    IMG_3172.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 232
You east coast guys make me sick. Sick sick sick :frustrated:

I get it! But man, when you flash those gold coins it makes me want to bang my head against the wall over on this coast, ha-ha! For all the copper colonial coins we find here, rarely do we ever find silver or gold, it's always copper...and often pretty toasted. Interestingly though, this year specifically I've found two Reale's...one in NJ, and the other at this farm, so it was a surprise among all the coppers.

The crazy thing is that the 1/2 Reale is incredible thin...much thinner than a modern dime, so at first when I hit it I thought it was a button, or some type of jewelry, but once I saw the inside rim markings and then the reverse of the coin, I knew instantly what it was...crazy.

Still hunting for that elusive first gold....(sigh).

I get it! But man, when you flash those gold coins it makes me want to bang my head against the wall over on this coast, ha-ha! .....

That is true. The most hard-core east coast hunters, who's fames we all know, will often have scores of colonial coppers, LC's, busts, reales, etc... Yet AT MOST might have *one* gold coin. Eh ?

Contrast that to the west coast, and if you were to pin down the top 10 most hardcore relic-type hunters, and you'd find that they have 2, 3, 5, 10, or more gold coins each. I even know some beginners who've bagged a gold coin over here, yet have scarcely found many seateds or whatever.

I am green with envy as usual! Congrats on the amazing old coins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for sharing those awesome finds and congrats on finding them and a place you have unlimited access to. I hope they keep coming for you!

Great finds

I haven't posted lately and thought I would show you guys some good finds I made in this recent new farm permission I recently acquired. The farmer doubted I would find anything, but regardless told me to "knock myself out" and go anywhere I wanted any time, sweet!

The field boarded a small stream and from the old maps I did see I house had been there in 1862, but signs of it were gone and I figured it was worth a try, maybe I would find some Wheaties at best...boy was I surprised! Within the first 5 minutes and about 25 feet from where I parked I nailed a strong hit at 6" down...so I dug and out pops a nice green coin (although I was expecting a flat button since I've been skunked a zillion times thinking it was a coin, ha!), but low and behold...it was a copper, and a King George III!!!! My mind was blown and I was hooked for the rest of the morning as you would imagine.

Below are the hits I got that morning: 1845(Braided) Large Cent, 1827 (Matron) Large Cent, 1757 King George II farthing, 1787 King George III 1/2 penny, 1802 Draped Bust. I also hit a 1783 Nova Constellatio and a 1782 1/2 Reale...which I will post tomorrow.

Needless to say, I cleaned up that field, but there are more...I just know it and will be back. I only found 2 flat buttons (will post pictures of those tomorrow with the other coins), one button is small and oval shaped, it has an image of an anchor with a rope, any ideas of what it is out there???

Happy Treasure Hunting
dennis

I got a recent permission to a property that dated to the 1600's. The existing building was built in the early 1700's. I spent 4 hours in terrible heat there on Saturday and not even a wheat ! At least now I know where all the coins went.....New York ! Good to know a fellow "Friendly" found them.

I got a recent permission to a property that dated to the 1600's. The existing building was built in the early 1700's. I spent 4 hours in terrible heat there on Saturday and not even a wheat ! At least now I know where all the coins went.....New York ! Good to know a fellow "Friendly" found them.

Colonial sites can be really weird, this one was totally random and the coins were all found in about a 100 x 100 area, but scattered about. The remainder of the field has zilch for tones, so don't give up at an old site, there is a "sweet spot" somewhere, you just need to keep that coil swinging.

I found it was smarter to just follow the corn rows up and down, rather than just getting "coin fever" and walking randomly in circles swinging wherever. Going down the rows, if the corn is low enough, you can swing 3 rows at a time. I only when up and down the rows, not across - and we all know you can get no hits one way, and nail a target on a second pass the other way, so always be patient and take your time...also if it's that quiet, CRANK UP the SENS - you have nothing to lose and your chances of getting a faint hit are far better.

You guys have your share of some pretty amazing coins in Penn. seems like Bucks County is still loaded if you know where to go, so jealous.

Back
Top Bottom