Unknown Metal dug in park

For example:
I remember a newbie in my area who got his first few coins. One of which was a roached zinc penny. So roached that you couldn't even tell what it was. So the guy was turning himself into pretzels with all sorts of cleaning techniques, to try to get some ID detail off of it. I think he thought he had an old coin.

That describes me, and pretty much everyone else when first starting out.

Now? All my pennies go straight into the garbage. Yes, including the large cents.

That was just SO BELOW THE BELT. So So cruel :sissyfight: :nono:

:?: I'm not getting it.

The large cents I find are so corroded and worn, that they aren't even worth keeping. That was all I meant. Hmmm, does Tom have an affinity for large cents or something? Did I make an inadvertent jab? :D

:?: I'm not getting it.

The large cents I find are so corroded and worn, that they aren't even worth keeping. That was all I meant. Hmmm, does Tom have an affinity for large cents or something? Did I make an inadvertent jab? :D

Tom gets peeved at the ease at which Large Cents are found East of the Mississippi! Heck, they are even found back there at tot lots and soccer fields!:lol:

Tom gets peeved at the ease at which Large Cents are found East of the Mississippi! Heck, they are even found back there at tot lots and soccer fields!:lol:

You can pick up large cents right on the surface over there Tom!

Thanks for the explanation LTS!

When he complains about the "Largies", you guys can bring up all the Phoenix Buttons and Gold Coins he has found! ;):p:cool3:

Ok Tom, explain why it is radioactive then? Listening....

I think this is the comment that set me off. Not only was he insulting and demeaning toward me, but he was condescending toward Tom as well. We were both just trying to let the guy down easy and all he could do was make condescending comments toward anyone who disagreed with him.

But remember : YOU TOO were once in those shoes. No need for them to have to cry uncle. I mean, sure, they won't like to have their parade rained on (no one does). So go ahead and let them dream, clean, study, etc.... Just like we did when we first started. It's all in fun.

You are correct, but when I was a newbie, I was never insulting to anyone I disagreed with. They were usually right, so I learned to be humble even when I thought someone was wrong. The OP needs to accept the fact that many of us here have paid our dues and know what we are talking about. No need to get offended when we're just trying to help.

.... condescending comments toward anyone who disagreed with him.....

Here's a thought to consider : When we md'rs exchange our hobbyist pro/con chit-chat , on forums and social media platforms, it would be VERY BORING if everyone was lacking passion. Ie.: If no one stubbornly stood beside their opinion in their matter.

In other words, when you think of it, it is actually healthy to not be wishy-washy about your opinions. For example, when someone comes on claiming their metal detector brand/model is the best, is EXACTLY what fuels the comparisons, debates, etc.... So it is actually beneficial for forum discussions, when we are adamant on our views. Which yes, even includes views that don't agree with our own.

Yours included. I LOVE YOUR PASSION . The OP's too. I LOVE THAT PASSION ! If that is construed as "condescending comments", well, that is nothing more than a measure of passion. So when someone gives me what could be seen as "condescending comments", I realize that : This is the passion that drives the information-exchange-machine.

Oh sure, I wish they'd simply wise up and agree with me on all my views. [After all, I'm right about everything :laughing:] Sure. But I recognize that if I don't convert them to my favorite machine, or my views on beach erosion, etc..., then : That's the very passion that drives the info-exchange.

Any luck on bottle dump? That would be cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that was a fun read on a slow day.
Been skipping over this thread for way too long.
Kinda neat how you could get so many people involved
in the assay process. Around here, a big hammer is the
only process we are capable of understanding.

Back
Top Bottom