Wheats, Buff Nickel and Hall of Fame Ring

FLOOD

Forum Supporter
Another scorcher day today, mid 90's, so I needed a spot with some shade. Went back to a permission property that is an old members only club. Had a nice wheat day, with 2 1944's, 2-45's, a 51, 53 and 55D. Had a signal on the Simplex that was ringing up like it was going to be a dime. Signal was down in some tree roots. When I got it out, I was surprised that it wasn't a dime, but instead, an undated Buffalo Nickel. The front and back images look pretty good, but the date is completely gone. The other really cool find is a Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame Ring. It's in decent shape. I found a single image of one of these on a subscription antiques website, which indicated that the ring is made of copper, with adjustable sizing, and it possibly came from a vending machine at the Hall of Fame. The auction price or date of the ring were not provided, but I would estimate, based on the looks of it, that it is 1950's vintage. I used Google for a reverse image ID of this ring, and there were no matches out of several billion images online...I don't think it's worth a ton, but it appears to be a somewhat unique ring. Had a great 2 hours finding these items, despite the heat.

Attachments

• Buffalo Nickel on Tool 04 Aug 22.jpg
    Buffalo Nickel on Tool 04 Aug 22.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 339
  • Buffalo Nickel Front 04 Aug 22.jpg
    Buffalo Nickel Front 04 Aug 22.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 337
  • Buffalo Nickel Back 04 Aug 22.jpg
    Buffalo Nickel Back 04 Aug 22.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 329
  • Baseball Hall of Fame Ring 04 Aug 22.jpg
    Baseball Hall of Fame Ring 04 Aug 22.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 331
  • Baseball Hall of Fame Ring Closeup 04 Aug 22.jpg
    Baseball Hall of Fame Ring Closeup 04 Aug 22.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 340
  • Wheats and Buffalo Nickel 04 Aug 22.jpg
    Wheats and Buffalo Nickel 04 Aug 22.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 330
  • Baseball HOF Ring 04 Aug 22.jpg
    Baseball HOF Ring 04 Aug 22.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 332
Congrats on the Buff and wheats. That ring is awesome, nice save. Although not precious metal its still a great piece of sports memorabilia. Good luck. Mark

Buffalo nickel sounded like a dime? I hope you double checked that hole :yes: Nice finds

Buffalo nickel sounded like a dime? I hope you double checked that hole :yes: Nice finds

I did, it was very odd, but I’ve noticed that metals in and around root clusters often ring up differently. I believe part of it is micro reflections of the signal, and some signal transference through the roots. Varies with moisture around the roots as well. Wood can be used as a signal transmitter. For example, a field expedient antenna can be made by using a tree. I remember my old Army Field manual included this in case an HF radio antenna was damaged. I’ve also experienced signal bounce in root systems when I used to locate underground cabling when I worked as a lineman. I would have liked a silver dime, but I was more than happy with the Buff nickel.

Great Finds Flood. Nice info on tree roots and the effect it has on the signal.

I have not tried researching the tree root effect on object signaling, but I suspect that multiple metal objects in close proximity to roots, especially when there is moisture to further promote conductivity, interact with the detector signal, and can produce an effect similar to an electronics mixer, whereby composite signals, and possibly harmonics of varying frequencies, can be generated, which might cause a return signal to the detector with a tone and reading that is not what was expected. That's the basic way a mixer works, and it's my unresearched supposition as to why I sometimes get readings around tree roots that are not what I expect them to be...

Back
Top Bottom