• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Removing batteries from detectors using AA batteries

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
A lot of detectors use springs to hold tension on AA battery contacts.

When you remove your batteries for whatever reason,,a tip.

Try to remove from the non spring end exerting a little pressure to compress spring a small amount to relieve tension.

If you just reach in and pull the batteries out,,,,the spring tension applied,,,,you can actually bend or break your springs.

Same goes with trying to grab from the spring end-- bent or broken spring.

Some detectors do come with a woven cloth like thingy to pull on to get your batteries out,,,I don't recommend using.

Remove batteries one at a time,,,take your time.

Can prevent downtime and headaches.

+1 :thumbsup:

Alkaline batteries leak very easily and I know from experience, having lost a tesoro stingray to leaky batteries just from leaving them in :dash2: over the winter.

I now use NMH rechargeable batteries whenever possible as they do not have a leaking problem, in addition to being reusable (up to a thousand times for eneloops) :mder:

Great PSA there Sharp! An ATP/G note if I will: That little battery clip is fragile and attention to detail is important when working with it on a battery change out.

You sort of want to go easy and support the ends when installing the new batts...Even then, everytime I still shudder about how easy it would be to break off one end or the other.....About 4yrs ago, there were a few posts of it breaking when being dropped or on the changeout......

I ordered a spare from a Forum Sponsor here when I was getting some other things...I keep it in the car along with all the rest of my gear just in case..cheap insurance from being completely shut down and ruining a week waiting for a back-up in Prime season..
Mud

Great PSA there Sharp! An ATP/G note if I will: That little battery clip is fragile and attention to detail is important when working with it on a battery change out.

You sort of want to go easy and support the ends when installing the new batts...Even then, everytime I still shudder about how easy it would be to break off one end or the other.....About 4yrs ago, there were a few posts of it breaking when being dropped or on the changeout......

I ordered a spare from a Forum Sponsor here when I was getting some other things...I keep it in the car along with all the rest of my gear just in case..cheap insurance from being completely shut down and ruining a week waiting for a back-up in Prime season..
Mud

I can speak from experience on the ATP battery holder. Was swapping the batteries last year and dropped it on the basement floor. It didn't make it... Quick email to Garrett got me 2 more in the mail free of charge but I do take extra special care when changing now.

So you are saying using this tool I bought to help remove the batteries from my detectors is not the best way to do it?
Good to know.

Attachments

• mark-williamson-man-breaking-concrete-with-a-jack-hammer.jpg
    mark-williamson-man-breaking-concrete-with-a-jack-hammer.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 367
So simple yet very vital piece of advice! I've always had a bad habit of leaving the batteries in "just in case." May need to change that habit!

Yep, I made myself a little tool, to assist with removing those batteries, because it just makes things easier and quicker. There's less chance of slips and drops, which can of course result in a broken battery holder, and all it actually amounts to, is a small wedge, made from some non-metallic material. I keep two around now, one in my "spare battery" pouch, and one that stays on the work bench in my shop, where I usually charge my batteries. Nothing fancy - just functional ! :yes:

the clothes-pin is just for size comparison
&
:shock: maybe a hint, as to a good place to start :shock:
(should you want to make one)
IMG_0500.jpg

I pop out the top battery first (the one that doesn't touch the spring), and the second one is a breeze !
IMG_0503.jpg

After my wooden prototype worked so well, I made myself a couple more out of some scrap nylon
(actually a piece of a cutting board)
IMG_0506.jpg
Both work great !​

Last edited:
Yep, I made myself a little tool, to assist with removing the batteries from the AT Pro battery pack, simply because it makes it much easier, quicker, and there's less chance of breakage. All it actually amounts to is a small wedge, one which I keep in my spare battery pouch, and one that stays on my shop work bench where I charge batteries. :yes:

You could also attach a piece of ribbon to the side and attach the batteries over it, they all you have to do is lift the ribbon and the battery pops out. Pretty standard in battery operated electronics.

A lot of detectors use springs to hold tension on AA battery contacts.

When you remove your batteries for whatever reason,,a tip.

Try to remove from the non spring end exerting a little pressure to compress spring a small amount to relieve tension.

If you just reach in and pull the batteries out,,,,the spring tension applied,,,,you can actually bend or break your springs.

Same goes with trying to grab from the spring end-- bent or broken spring.

Some detectors do come with a woven cloth like thingy to pull on to get your batteries out,,,I don't recommend using.

Remove batteries one at a time,,,take your time.

Can prevent downtime and headaches.

Good post David,we don't really give this any thought until it happens. If you have the AA on your XS and yours is anything like mine,those things are in there pretty tight! My IDXPro also has a AA pack as I sold the rechargeable one with another unit but that's fairly tight as well. The seemingly little things can really save one huge SOB of a headache.

Good post David,we don't really give this any thought until it happens. If you have the AA on your XS and yours is anything like mine,those things are in there pretty tight! My IDXPro also has a AA pack as I sold the rechargeable one with another unit but that's fairly tight as well. The seemingly little things can really save one huge SOB of a headache.

Sometimes it is the simplest things we as humans overlook,,,take for granted,etc

Then when we have a problem associated with,,,,we scratch our heads and or blame the device for problems.

I sure don't want to see folks have problems,,,when they can be avoided with some foresight,,,,not happen,,or happen as often.

I may do another post concerning coil cable routing,,,this too can bring problems.

Thanks to you all for the great advice. Things that are simple, yet we tend to disregard or forget to do them... until it's too late.

Back
Top Bottom