Silver coin monkey is finally off my back!

fullbattery

Forum Supporter
For two years I've been hunting old schools, parks, home sites, and farm fields with hopes of finding my first silver coin. Yesterday silver finally appeared!

It was the fourth trip with friends to a 40 acre permission with known history back to 1828. Approximately 50 yards downstream from a spring, the Equinox sounded off a solid 24 just at the edge of the creek. Any solid signal on this property is a welcome sound because of all the grunts and false highs from areas of rusty iron. This signal certainly had my attention because the shotgun shells had been ringing in at 16 to 18. However, silver was the last thing in mind because I always envisioned silver coins as ranging in the 30s on the Equinox.

As I broke apart the plug, a shiny disc about the size of a nickel fell out. It could not have been more than two inches deep. It felt so light I thought it was aluminum. Fortunately, a design was visible, so out came the water bottle for a bath. It looked like Spanish silver! Back at the house I was able to confirm (with the help of a friend), that it is indeed Spanish colonial silver; a 1769 one real minted in Mexico City!

Shout out to waltr for photography tips. They're certainly not perfect, but getting much better.

Attachments

• 9038315D-7E50-4BDC-8921-EA1E8E760A4C.jpg
    9038315D-7E50-4BDC-8921-EA1E8E760A4C.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 586
  • 25849E1E-24D4-43CC-933B-6CF13F4B0A27.jpg
    25849E1E-24D4-43CC-933B-6CF13F4B0A27.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 555
Your first silver coin was a reale ?? You cheated ! You're supposed to "pay your dues " . You were supposed to find roosies, then mercs, then barbers, etc... in date-order. You can't skip straight to the oldest. Tsk tsk. So go put it back and start over. No cheating. :police:

That is a great find. As for the Nox and silver... I have had shallow silver dimes ring up as low as 21-22 on the Nox. Most of my silver finds ring-up in between 25-29 and those silvers that are quarter or larger ring-up at 30+.

Wow, talk about jackpot with the first nickel. That's a tremendous first silver. Congrats on the save and hopefuly that reale had friends in the area.. Good luck, Mark

Your first silver coin was a reale ?? You cheated ! You're supposed to "pay your dues " . You were supposed to find roosies, then mercs, then barbers, etc... in date-order. You can't skip straight to the oldest. Tsk tsk. So go put it back and start over. No cheating. :police:

I’ll bet he pulled a largie before he got a chewed up zinc penny....

Sorry, Tom, this is clearly a misunderstanding. I thought you granted permission over in the flat button thread. My bad! :laughing:

Congratulations on your first silver! And such an awesome one to boot!! I am still trying to get my first, so this keeps me wanting to dig!! LOL

Well if you are going to find your 1st silver, mightaswell go OLD! Super nice job, but as Tom said: "you cheated", the dues to pay are 1 Wheatie....3 months, then 1 Rosie.....4 months, then MAYBE a Merc:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Seriously, CONGRATS!:shock:

Congrats, man thats a beauti first silver. That soil it sat in must be mild or something. That's in great shape. Nice hunting. HH

Back
Top Bottom