18k Beauty (& her little Platty friend)

Way to go on the yellow and Plat TK :yes: Real nice 18K you got there. :yes:
18K and Plat are easy to polish out any scratches and get them back to like new condition.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=203824
Sorry photobucket has got my pics up for ransom :lol: Use what I said in that thread or get a dremel with a felt polishing wheel.

That 18 is the Japanese ring size. The D010 stands for Diamond carat size 0.10 so that ring has 1/10 of a carat on it. You should see a dot between the 0 and the 10. Your trash to keeper ratio has me drooling :lol:

Arigato Ronin-san! :D Thanks for the polishing advice and the help translating those markings. :yes:

The trash to keeper ratio on that beach is pretty awesome (especially since I'm using a PI) but that beach is a rarity. Lots of others have me working my butt off digging piles of trash, though maybe not as impressive as the epic trash pile in your last post. :lol:

You are getting VERY good at this Sport very quickly! ... Awesome finds and great write up of a rainy dark low tide hunt! Impressive!

Thanks Mud-san! I'm learning well, thanks to the good advices I get from y'all! :D

:dingding: Way to go at it! I for one like hunting in the rain since it keeps me cool from our oppressive heat here. Great hunt!!

Arigato Felix-sensei! Hmm, that's a good point. I guess it's gotten cool enough here at night already that the rain doesn't really help. I've never liked the water much in general. In fact, my friends find it hard to believe that I've taken up a hobby that involves wading for hours at a time, even standing in the rain. I guess my fondness for treasure outweighs my distaste for water.

Way to go! Hopefully that's a Ruby stone. My mom used to love Rubies. Definitely not a melter. Know any jewelry store owners even with small shops? Fixing to display some of mine in a shop for Christmas shoppers. WE agree on a high and low price they sell for. Then its a 70/30 split. My 70 will be way more than melt or I don't sell them.:lol: And they make my jewelry look good and are the one who has to guarantee authenticity of stones, gold and Platinum.

Arigato yo! Yeah! A ruby would be cool! It's a weird stone, for sure-- it looks lighter and slightly too purple to be a ruby (probably) but redder than an amethyst usually is. There are a number of odd synthetic stones it could be, but it seems odd to find a cheapo stone with diamonds and 18k, right? Well, I've got to visit a jeweler soon anyway, so I'll see if I can get it ID'd.

That jewelry store deal is a great idea! I've got a family member who runs an antique store that does sell jewelry. That may be a really good opportunity for selling finds! It would probably take a while for things to sell but I'm not in any particular hurry and if it's a way to get more than melt, I'm game! Thanks for the idea! :grin:

Your persistence paid off with 2 great finds,,, love that 18k! Being a bit of a lunatic myself, I rather enjoy hunting in the rain, keeps the competition to a minimum.

Arigatooou! :D Yeah! The 18k is so cool looking! I was floored when it appeared in my glove!

That's definitely a good side to rainy times! Of course it doesn't factor when it's 4am and all the competition is asleep anyway. But it sure is nice to see a squall move in and completely clear a beach of humans in a matter of minutes. :lol:

That's some very nice treasures!!

Arigato OBN-san! Yep- definitely a surprisingly good hunt! I was super happy with how it turned out.

Yeah you should sell the ring at auction if possible!

Cool! Once I get that magenta stone ID'ed I'll see about figuring out what to ask for it on auction or elsewhere. It certainly seems like it would be a shame to send it to melt.

Great hunt results TK, Congrats on a couple sweet finds.
DL

Arigato DL-san! :D

Very cool ring! My first thought on the reddish stone was amethyst (it comes in shades like that). It's only a hardness of 7, so it could pick up scratches from fossil coral, which is also a 7, which may explain the slightly cloudy look to it.

Skippy

Arigato Skippy-sensei! Good to know amethyst is still a possibility. I haven't seen it in that shade myself, so I wasn't sure. Curiously, the stone doesn't have visible scratching, the way I've seen CZs chipped and scratched from the coral here. The cloudy look could be from the reflection through the open-backed setting. I'll post an update if/when I get it ID'ed if it proves to be interesting.

Ruby. Gotta be. Some very nice finds, and a great story! Definitely not scrap gold! A good polish will help bring top $.

:yes: I sure hope so! Ruby would be really cool! Arigato!

"I rather enjoy hunting in the rain, keeps the competition to a minimum."
Same here! Great story TK! Congrats on going with your instincts and your persistence really paid off. :yes:

Thanks Compass-sensei! I'm so glad I stuck with it! It certainly teaches me not to be tempted to give up early in the future. You really never know what the next swing of the coil will bring!

Now that on would make you change your ways. I mean the way you go home after work. Always go to the beach first. That's right honey, I'll be late for dinner. :lol:

:lol: Hahaha, very true-- there have been more than a few late dinners recently. The husband is fairly patient...for now.

What a GREAT HUNT!! We have a coquina rock beach near here that you can detect and get signals all day long but you dig and hit a massive rock. You're not supposed to move or damage them so I rarely detect there as it's frustrating to not be able to find out what was under the rock :) I just tell myself it was a beer can or fishing weight and that is how I sleep well at night but now you're post makes me wonder! THANKS!! :laughing:

Arigato Kapi-sensei! Oooo, I know what you mean! I have dug and pried and scrapped at rocks here until my gloves have ripped and my fingers are bleeding and not been able to find the elusive metal! It's sooooooo frustrating! I've definitely found several rings that have floated into those tiny crevasses, so I know I could be missing something good! Of course a lot of the time it's a bullet deeply embedded in the rock, since a number of the beaches I hunt were actual beachheads during the invasion. I've pried a few free and they were in amazingly good shape. One time it was a clad coin that had slid into the tiniest crack, another it was a shard of tin can. And sometimes I will never know :(. But I'm so glad I went after this last one! And it's home in the coral rock actually protected it very well from my scoop, which could very easily have mangled that soft 18k.

Outstanding finds. Sure beats my trip to the beach yesterday. Did not sleep well the night before and got up tired. Hit the beach and when I stepped out of the vehicle the heat and humidity was oppressive. I lasted around three hours and then it took me over half an hour to walk one and a half city blocks getting back to my car I have never been as exhausted as I was by the time I got to the car. I had to run the air conditioning for a while before I felt safe to drive

I would much rather detect in a gentle rain as I would the heat and humidity I endured for a while yesterday

If you know a reputable jeweler they can tell you about that stone.

Most jewelers are more than willing to tell you what you have. Unfortunately one broke the bad news to me over a beautiful "Diamond" that I found
turns out it is mossionite. Man made diamond. Not worth much.

Yowch! That sounds like a rough hunt!
Thanks for the advice about jewelers. I know one I think I can ask. I also need to have somebody check out that Chrome Hearts with diamonds that I found a while back. My tester say's it's diamond, but it can't distingish moissanite, so I won't know for sure until I ask a jeweler. I'm hoping I don't hear the same bad news!

awesome hunt! congrats!
Arigato yo! :D

Nice finds! Those Japanese gold rings are awesome! Gonna start hunting before work here soon, modded my rig with a backlight finally!

Arigato! Yeah, they sure make some cool rings here! Hunting before work is definitely interesting. If you have a good hunt it's a great way to start the day! If you get skunked...well it kinda goes downhill from there...

Amazing hunt, wtg!
Thanks Zee-san!

That's a fantastic hunt, congrats! Nice write up too :)
Arigato! Yeah, I think getting a good story out of it is part of the fun of the hunt.

For sure! Super good! Way to persist and Congrats!

Thanks GS!

Dang! Way to go. Good thing you persisted through the rain. That is quite the haul.

Arigato Whirly-san! Yep, if I'd given up earlier I would have gone home damp and disappointed.

Nice stuff there TK....Platty and 18k....doesn't get much better.
Arigatooou! :D I agree-- can't ask for much more than that combo!

Atta girl, great job congrats! :wow: :cool:
Arigato Irons-sensei!

Incredible hunting! You got a good one!

Many thanks and happy hunting!

Nice haul TK! Congrats on the great finds. I swear half this hobby is just plain dumb luck of being in the right place at the right time. Truth be told, I'd rather be lucky than good. Again congrats on some really beautiful scores.

Back
Top Bottom