Finally Made a Coin Star Find!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I’ve been glancing into the Coin Star reject tray at the local supermarket on the way out the door for the the past couple of years but never found even a Zincoln. But as my daughter and I cruised past today, I finally spotted a coin - and I was amazed that my 10 year old was just as excited as me to go check it out as I was! I know, I know...just give it about 2 or 3 years, and she’ll be scurrying out of the store, pretending she doesn’t know me :laughing:

Anyway, nothing super special - an Italian minted 5 euro cent, and a super shiny 5 cent piece from the Bahamas. But I did learn a valuable lesson: that reject tray is pretty deep! I never would have seen the Bahamas coin just walking by if it were by itself - it was the coppery euro cent that caught my eye despite the Bahama having a shine like a mirror. It was sitting in front of the euro cent in the deep tray, out of view. I never knew it was there until I reached my hand in to scoop out the euro, and I felt the second coin.

Makes me wonder how many times I missed interesting stuff because I was just eyeballing the tray...I guess I gotta reach in every time!

Attachments

• 30B37A4B-80C9-44E6-B6B8-38540230626B.jpg
    30B37A4B-80C9-44E6-B6B8-38540230626B.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 473
  • 390FB9E8-9E5F-441B-BF2D-69406F03DC6D.jpg
    390FB9E8-9E5F-441B-BF2D-69406F03DC6D.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 417
Neat looking coins, congrats !!!!

I usually reach in just to be sure, it's right by the exit of our grocery store so even though most times I find nothing at least I don't have to go out of my way to check :lol:

I check every one of those coin counters I encounter and in six years I have found One 2017 clad dime. Still wondering why it was rejected.

Glad to hear that you and your daughter was able to have found Coinstar treasure. You are lucky that the sharks that are employed there at the store did not get there first. I have observed employees at both Coinstars at each end of town circle around them anytime there's someone using it. As soon as the person walks away the Sharks plow each other over to get there first.

I found a couple of coins a few weeks ago for the first time, including a shiny Canadian coin that got my hopes up for a brief moment.

What you want is a large chain food store like Kroger, Publix, Ingles or what ever that that is in shopping range with lots of apartments nearby.

Over the years I have found probably at least 10 silver dimes, lots of foreign coins and even some times a whole reject tray full of clad.

I find more silver in Coinstar than detecting in the northern Atlanta suburbs.

Hey, that shiny pineapple nickel is the same coin I found in a coin machine a couple weeks ago! I know what you mean about hard to see coins in the reject tray. I thought one was empty, but as I shifted my view a bit, it looked like a dark penny tucked in the corner. Turned out to be a silver rosie! I think eyeballing is good enough if you are thorough about it. Always look around the upper coin deck too.

Congrats on the foreign coinage! Nice score, and it's great that your daughter enjoyed it, too. :clapping:

Glad to hear that you and your daughter was able to have found Coinstar treasure. You are lucky that the sharks that are employed there at the store did not get there first. I have observed employees at both Coinstars at each end of town circle around them anytime there's someone using it. As soon as the person walks away the Sharks plow each other over to get there first.

Yeah I've mentioned on similar threads that checking Coinstars for me anyway, seems best when the stores are busy and the employees are also too busy to go to check them, which is usually in the afternoons and especially Saturdays and Sundays. There is so much going on that nobody notices if you just walk up and look in the tray.

In two or three years she will act like she does not know you when you are in the same store. In 5 or 6 years she will not even go to the store with you unless she thinks there might be a boy she likes there. But in 20 years she will be back as daddy's girl bringing a grandchild or two with her if you are lucky.

Back
Top Bottom