Getting ridiculous in Illinois

I completely agree which is why I haven't gone back. I am goin to ask for permission because right next door is a ski park which is obviously closed during the summer and there property line is right next to the spot we found.

There ya go, that sounds like a great spot, good luck!

They need to know that MDers won't settle for anything less than the ability to practice their hobby on public property. Trying to fly under the radar and not doing anything because it's not in our own back yard this time is how we got into this mess.

They're saying no to cover their butts. Don't ever ask about any public or city grounds. I've found that most don't care as long as you aren't carrying a shovel and leaving craters. Asking permission on schools and public property will almost always get a firm no, mainly because it's a safe answer. Go to the towns you asked about and detect anyways until someone asks you to leave. I bet nothing will happen.

They're saying no to cover their butts. Don't ever ask about any public or city grounds. I've found that most don't care as long as you aren't carrying a shovel and leaving craters. Asking permission on schools and public property will almost always get a firm no, mainly because it's a safe answer. Go to the towns you asked about and detect anyways until someone asks you to leave. I bet nothing will happen.

True Bonesquat.

You could try going south near the Kankakee River, like Grant Park or Momence. I simply just find land after the farmer has turned it, and knock on the door and ask it's alright. 9 out of 10 times they don't mind at all.

They need to know that MDers won 't settle for anything less than the ability to practice their hobby on public property. Trying to fly under the radar and not doing anything because it's not in our own back yard this time is how we got into this mess.

Thanks Mil that's what I was thinking. I went into this thinking that it would be nice to be allowed to metal detect in all areas and to show that we are not a bunch of land destroyers with our pick axes and back hoes. I had no intention of "ruining" anyone's chances.

Thanks Mil that's what I was thinking. I went into this thinking that it would be nice to be allowed to metal detect in all areas and to show that we are not a bunch of land destroyers with our pick axes and back hoes. I had no intention of "ruining" anyone's chances.

Yes, this is true but we need to do this as a group. An individual is too easy to push aside.

That's true to be totally honest with you guys. I have never spoke up for this before I always just detected where I wanted til I got kicked out. I really never did realize that there were a group of us that were ok with this. I figured we all thought it sucks. I never realized that bringing attention to our hobby could be seen as a bad thing, but I kinda see it now. I am going to lay low in some of the towns that said no because they may be looking for it now. Even though I am sure that they said no cause they had no idea. I will let the emails to the county go unless I am contacted. When I am contacted I will post back on here with the answer and we all can decide what the next step we should be. I want the best for all of us. So it should be up to all of us to figure it out together.

As far as I know, all of McHenry County is open season...there are no regulations (other than at State or Federal parks...)

This is the first I've heard of any regulations at all

I haven't heard of any either and the other guys are right I am going until I am told different. I have asked for permission to the the ski hill that butts up to our nice spot since they are private property. I am waiting for my answer if I cant get to my spot Ill get right next to it. According to old maps it was a large campground in the 40's.

Metal Detecting Permint

John, I am so glad that you sent that message to all the Forest Preserves regarding the metal detecting permit. Wish it was that easy. You just don't know how many times I have been told that" You can not dig here." It suck's but what I dont undrstand is that I have talked to Police Officers in Cook County and they dont have a problem with it. But as for the Forest Preserve Officers that's a whole new story.

I live in joliet and hunt alot of parks and have never had anyone say any thing. for the most part I hunt the early mornings when the places are not crowded. I've hunted parks from chicago to joliet with no problems. There are also little parks in the residentail areas that where old home lots that you rarely see people at and are great little honey holes. Just try to stay off the beaten path and not there during peak times. I'am a heating and air guy and drive a lot as I pass a place that looks good I save it as a favorite in my gps and go back another time. Tons of little parks are not on maps. GL & HH!

I live in joliet and hunt alot of parks and have never had anyone say any thing. for the most part I hunt the early mornings when the places are not crowded. I've hunted parks from chicago to joliet with no problems. There are also little parks in the residentail areas that where old home lots that you rarely see people at and are great little honey holes. Just try to stay off the beaten path and not there during peak times. I'am a heating and air guy and drive a lot as I pass a place that looks good I save it as a favorite in my gps and go back another time. Tons of little parks are not on maps. GL & HH!

Ever have any luck at West park? I've found a few things, but you really got to work to find it. I'd imagine there's been hundreds of people there in the past.

Come on!

Please quit calling and asking for permission. You are bringing it to everyone's attention and ruining it for others.

Oh please! You really don't believe by calling you bring unwanted attention do you? That's ridiculous!

I have been lurking on the forums for a long time and decided I just had to reply to this ridiculous comment.

OK, I do work for "a" County Forrest Preserve in Illinois. (name withheld). I do have first hand information that there has been constructive discussions on MD at our preserves. And, mostly due to the many calls, emails and letters we receive.

However, I am willing to bet that the MD issue(s) won't be fully considered at the board level for some time yet, if at all. But, I won't go into certain elected officials and their views.

Again, I wanted to respond to this gentleman's comment trying to tell people not to make phone calls. Do make calls and let yourself be heard. It's a great hobby and those elected by us need to know this!

For the record, I am one of many Preserve Rangers/employees that enjoy the hobby of metal detecting.

Oh please! You really don't believe by calling you bring unwanted attention do you? That's ridiculous!

I have been lurking on the forums for a long time and decided I just had to reply to this ridiculous comment.

OK, I do work for "a" County Forrest Preserve in Illinois. (name withheld). I do have first hand information that there has been constructive discussions on MD at our preserves. And, mostly due to the many calls, emails and letters we receive.

However, I am willing to bet that the MD issue(s) won't be fully considered at the board level for some time yet, if at all. But, I won't go into certain elected officials and their views.

Again, I wanted to respond to this gentleman's comment trying to tell people not to make phone calls. Do make calls and let yourself be heard. It's a great hobby and those elected by us need to know this!

For the record, I am one of many Preserve Rangers/employees that enjoy the hobby of metal detecting.

Wow, what an old thread.

Ok then captn-john, let's read carefully what you yourself have written S-L-O-W-L-Y and see if it self destructs:

a) you say that the amxfred's advice to not ask permission is not a wise idea. Ie.: the fly under the radar and don't make waves or ask dumb questions is "ill-advised". Right?

b) And as proof of this, you give your own entity as an example of where people asked, and "constructive discussions" had/have gone on about "allowing" md'ing, right?

c) yet reading closely, you say that the REASON why these "discussions" have EVEN GONE ON in the first place, is d/t " .... the many calls, emails and letters we receive."

d) And presumably the answer your entity gives might eventually be "no", right? (or on the other hand, it might be "yes", but as of this post, you're not saying which it is).

e) Then it seems to me that it's NOT a "ridiculous" notion that ".... by calling you bring unwanted attention ". Because in the case you site (your own entity), THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING!

Now I don't know the already-existing rules at your particular entity. Perhaps there is a rule that truly and specifically says "no metal detecting". If so, then fine, solidarity to get that over-turned is great. But if your entity is only answering the "numerous inquiries" by morphing other things to apply (disturbing wildlife, harvesting and removing, alterations and defacement, etc...), then all those people asking have merely availed themselves of being the latest victims of "no one cared, till you asked".

And if any passing ranger or personell DID now see an md'r, they merely recall the earlier inquiries, and think "aha! there's one of THEM" and start booting others. Or ask themselves "gee, do we allow this?" and so forth.

Thus I agree with the others in this thread and amxfred: If there's no specific rule that said "no metal detecting", then you do not need to ask "can I metal detect" ANY MORE THAN YOU NEED TO ASK IF YOU CAN FLY FRISBEES.

Back
Top Bottom