Under rated detectors

longbow62

Forum Supporter
My vote for a under rated detector is the Nokta Impact especially with the 7.5"x4" football shaped coil attached. I have done quite well with it in heavy trash. Even iron mixed with modern. It's not super deep but really doesn't need to be in heavy trash. There is some magic in that combo running 14khz. Also it's an absolute joy to swing with that coil.

My #1 detector is no doubt the Equinox 800, but I while using the Impact today I pulled an IHP, Wheat, and musket ball. I had been over this area pretty good with the Nox. It definitely impressed me.

I have been seeing used ones going pretty cheap lately. I am not getting rid of mine anytime soon.

That sounds like a winning combo. I don't have enough experience to offer a candidate but am looking forward to the replies here.

My vote for a under rated detector is the Nokta Impact especially with the 7.5"x4" football shaped coil attached. I have done quite well with it in heavy trash. Even iron mixed with modern. It's not super deep but really doesn't need to be in heavy trash. There is some magic in that combo running 14khz. Also it's an absolute joy to swing with that coil.

My #1 detector is no doubt the Equinox 800, but I while using the Impact today I pulled an IHP, Wheat, and musket ball. I had been over this area pretty good with the Nox. It definitely impressed me.

I have been seeing used ones going pretty cheap lately. I am not getting rid of mine anytime soon.

I really liked that machine and i never took that coil off. I have found some good deep targets with it. I recovered several old coins at 8 inches to 10 inches with that little coil. I worked slowly and methodically though, cannot be whipped around like a Deus. I agree great machine. I ran 14kz as well.

Racer 2 would be my pick for the most under rated/ left behind machine.. I mean,that thing has every option and then some. Just picks coins out of trash and iron with the oor coil.

Good topic! I agree, it seems that some detectors are at times looked down upon, despite what capabilities they have. When I first started detecting, I used a Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior, and was thrilled to uncover with it my first wheat penny. Later, operating a Harbor Freight 9-Function, I dug my first special ring find. Now my go-to machine is the Ace 250, which I applaud & enjoy for its easy-to-use, practical functions.

While it's definitely true that advanced technology offers a more vast array of options, I think it's also noteworthy that, as I've learned here on FMDF, it's sometimes of equal or greater importance to really get to know, learn, and understand your detector than it is to possess a super high-end, extraordinarily capable machine. :grin:

Last edited:
And the most underated detector yet---Your Eyeballs!
A guy in the news here in Ct this morning sees a stone wash up along the beach and surf. Turns out to be a spear head 2000-3000 and maybe 6000 years old according to experts. And we spend how much,, to find a wheat penny and a bobby pin. :lol:

Good topic! I agree, it seems that some detectors are at times looked down upon, despite what capabilities they have. When I first started detecting, I used a Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior, and was thrilled to uncover with it my first wheat penny. Later, operating a Harbor Freight 9-Function, I dug my first special ring find. Now my go-to machine is the Ace 250, which I applaud & enjoy for its easy-to-use, practical functions.

While it's definitely true that advanced technology offers a more vast array of options, I think it's also noteworthy that, as I've learned here on FMDF, it's sometimes of equal or greater importance to really get to know, learn, and understand your detector than it is to possess a super high-end, extraordinarily capable machine. :grin:

this is "dead nuts" accurate princess!.."beware the man who owns only "one"
instrument, and knows it well, for he is a formidable adversary indeed!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

whites m6.. for years in whites line up!..passed over in favor of the m x t.
one of the most under rated detectors of all time!..a true "sleeper" one hell of a 'coin and jewelry sniper! was dumped, and then "brought back" because everyone knew how really good it is! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

one of the most under rated detectors of all time!..a true "sleeper" one hell of a 'coin and jewelry sniper! was dumped, and then "brought back" because everyone knew how really good it is! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I am proud to say that I own 2, M6 machines. A buddy of mine using the MXT thought I was nuts to not put my money into an MXT, but buying another duplicate M6 instead. I couldn't resist for $300, knowing how great the M6 detectors are in coin hunting.

It will be fun if I can take both M6 machine to loan one to a family or friend with a new interest in trying metal detecting and hunt together. Compare a few signals since I'd have the other M6...and I'd gamble that we had another tector joining us. It really is turn on and go with minimal tweaks. Jmho

Fisher 1235. Designed for the competition hunter but great beep and dig machine for all kinds of hunting.

I am proud to say that I own 2, M6 machines. A buddy of mine using the MXT thought I was nuts to not put my money into an MXT, but buying another duplicate M6 instead. I couldn't resist for $300, knowing how great the M6 detectors are in coin hunting.

It will be fun if I can take both M6 machine to loan one to a family or friend with a new interest in trying metal detecting and hunt together. Compare a few signals since I'd have the other M6...and I'd gamble that we had another tector joining us. It really is turn on and go with minimal tweaks. Jmho

detector is truly amazing!..great jewelry 'hound" some say it's an mxt 'stuck" in coin mode.simply awesome at gobbling up coins.a pleasure to use, especially with the 5.3 eclipse coil on board.what is really special is whitey dropped it from the line after it had been in the lineup for 10 years!..it's un heard of for a detector to be reinserted in the line up.once they are gone, they are gone, but the m6 has stood the test of time, and remains a testament to an excellent detector design
it is still selling, because it just works, and works well!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I would not think many would agree the Nokta Impact as an "underrated" metal detector

I believe it is one of their most powerful metal detectors -

I would regard the Makro CF77 as "underrated" however ... very

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I totally agree. I love my M6 and will never get rid of it. A fantastic machine!

I would not think many would agree the Nokta Impact as an "underrated" metal detector

I believe it is one of their most powerful metal detectors -

I would regard the Makro CF77 as "underrated" however ... very

The only reason I say under rated is because there is not a lot of traffic on forums mentioning it. It's really not that old and has a lot of great features. Namely the ability to run 3 different frequencies like the Anfibio. The Anfibio gets a lot of well deserved praise while the Impact did not seem to be near as popular.

Back
Top Bottom