Brand new guy

Zeke

I am from central Ontario, Canada, name is John, nickname is Zeke.
Brand new to the hobby, bought a used Fisher detector, just ordered a Garrett pin pointer. Looking forward to finding tons of pull tabs and bobby pins, maybe lucky enough to get some silver coins.
Like I said, I know nothing, have been watching YouTube videos, and browsing the forums here.

Welcome from Western WA! Happy hunting - dig it all! [emoji106]

Oldest dug coins- 1896 IHP, 1907 V-nickel, 1925 Merc, 1918 SLQ, 1929 Canada Large Cent

Brand new to the hobby, bought a used Fisher detector, just ordered a Garrett pin pointer. Looking forward to finding tons of pull tabs and bobby pins, maybe lucky enough to get some silver coins.
Like I said, I know nothing, have been watching YouTube videos, and browsing the forums here.

Welcome Zeke! :)

Welcome from Boston, Zeke.

You'll soon be racking up your face value totals quicker than us down here "south of your border", with all the Loonies and Twoonies to be found. Because there is steel in most of your coins, except the older ones, bronze, silver, etc., be sure to bench test your detector against your modern coinage so you'll recognize what the detector's response is when you see it.

Good luck out there... watch out for the moose and bear !

Jim

Welcome Zeke. Recently lost an old shipmate that we called Zeke. I did not know his real name for many years. Looks like you are already getting some good advice on here.

Welcome from So.Cal Zeke ! Hopefully you will be afflicted and addicted to the detecting virus we all have. You are guaranteed fun ! Oh...and if you hit a dry spell...just log in...you will never get skunked....there are plenty of Loonies here...🤣🤣🤣

Welcome from Boston, Zeke.

You'll soon be racking up your face value totals quicker than us down here "south of your border", with all the Loonies and Twoonies to be found. Because there is steel in most of your coins, except the older ones, bronze, silver, etc., be sure to bench test your detector against your modern coinage so you'll recognize what the detector's response is when you see it.

Good luck out there... watch out for the moose and bear !

Jim

The moose generally aren't a problem, the bear we chase away with hockey sticks, it's the Canada geese, they have attitude, they will hurt you!!

Welcome from Atlanta.

Guess what, most of us knew nothing when we picked up our first detector.

It is fun to learn.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Another pull tab digger like myself? There are plenty of different tabs, see my image of a few types I have. If you find the one in the middle that is the very first one made from 1962-1964, a zip top. So far I have found only one location where I dug any, and I found a few thankfully. I appreciate finding pull tabs as I know I am in a older area that had foot traffic - depending on the tab, even new can tabs from the store can be removed and found. It also tells me I am on the right settings to find as many good targets as possible including jewelry.

Which Fisher detector did you get? Just curious but there isn't really a bad one in the Fisher/Bounty Hunter/Teknetics lot (all First Texas Products), and many here are fans of the BH Tracker IV. I am swinging a Fisher Gold Bug, and my dad had a Fisher F5.

HH

Attachments

• HPIM5491.jpg
    HPIM5491.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 118
Back
Top Bottom