Lesche and something to compliment it....question.

Skrap

I love that damn little digging tool. I took my grinder out today and really sharpened up the edges and it works even better. Now comes the issue. I try to dig my holes as narrow as possible to get to my target. Somewhere about 4" in diameter give or take........ The problem comes in when I have a deep target the Lesche is useless pulling dirt out of a narrow and deeper hole. Been using my hand to pull out loose dirt if I have to scrape the side of the hole or break up the bottom of the narrow hole to go deeper. If the ground is at all wet it gets my hand quite messy as well as everything else I touch.

I thought about stealing a large serving spoon and bend it a bit from the kitchen drawer but that could get me in hot water. What are you all using to get the loose dirt out.

Maybe a 10" Lesche with a duck-bill tip instead of a pointed tip. Lesche........you hearin' me?

the lesche cuts a great plug but i also never liked how it was like scooping dirt out with a bowie knife, i just cut my plugs a little bigger for deep targets and also use my gloved hands ta scoop it out, a little dirt or mud never hurt anything and thats why they make rags :lol: next time ta have the grinder out you could added a serrated edge to the other side...

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,068
the lesche cuts a great plug but i also never liked how it was like scooping dirt out with a bowie knife, i just cut my plugs a little bigger for deep targets and also use my gloved hands ta scoop it out, a little dirt or mud never hurt anything and thats why they make rags :lol: next time ta have the grinder out you could added a serrated edge to the other side...
i second all said here, and to me its useless with out the additional serrations.

Agree with dogpound. When its that deep I just make my hole a little wider.

Funny. My objective today was to sharpen my Lesche and cut serrations on the other as well. Got it sharpened but then my son and his friend got me side tracked and by the time I wanted to make the cuts the wifey got home and I was out the door to the park to do some MDing. Will do tomorrow for sure.

Digging tools

I use a Fiskars big grip garden knife. It's very similar to a lesche and also lifetime guaranteed, Not near as well made but then its under ten bucks at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. So it can be replaced free the same day it might break! I'm a newbie (early this month) so MD questions I can't answer. On the other hand I have been digging probably 54 of my 56 years. Newbies should be digging everything, and I am. While at Harbor Freight buying my Cen Tech Cheapo pin pointer, I also bought a huge very well made looking Chinese Survival Knife (under $10),Gel knee pads (also under $10), and a 14 inch multi pocketed canvas type tool bag (it cost $10 to$12). When I go out detecting I carry the tool bag with the survival knife caddy corner across the bottom (its longer than 14inch), The Fiskars Big Grip Garden Knife,a fiskars Gel handled 3inch wide curved garden trowel (about $10), and 2 different width Fiskars composite Scoops (.98 cents each @ Home depot). The tool bag has 18 tool sized pockets and holds all my digging tools Handle up and countless other Misc. Items I might need. With the above mentioned digging tools I pretty much have Plug or flap cutting, as well as dirt removal from even a deep hole covered. I also want to mention that I don't think putting any blade to a grinder is very good for it. I also saw in a post recently a guy said he sprays his digger with cooking spray? Does anyone else do that to cut cleaner plugs? I can see how that might work. Sorry I'm so long winded,,, Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!

I use a Fiskars big grip garden knife. It's very similar to a lesche and also lifetime guaranteed, Not near as well made but then its under ten bucks at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. So it can be replaced free the same day it might break! I'm a newbie (early this month) so MD questions I can't answer. On the other hand I have been digging probably 54 of my 56 years. Newbies should be digging everything, and I am. While at Harbor Freight buying my Cen Tech Cheapo pin pointer, I also bought a huge very well made looking Chinese Survival Knife (under $10),Gel knee pads (also under $10), and a 14 inch multi pocketed canvas type tool bag (it cost $10 to$12). When I go out detecting I carry the tool bag with the survival knife caddy corner across the bottom (its longer than 14inch), The Fiskars Big Grip Garden Knife,a fiskars Gel handled 3inch wide curved garden trowel (about $10), and 2 different width Fiskars composite Scoops (.98 cents each @ Home depot). The tool bag has 18 tool sized pockets and holds all my digging tools Handle up and countless other Misc. Items I might need. With the above mentioned digging tools I pretty much have Plug or flap cutting, as well as dirt removal from even a deep hole covered. I also want to mention that I don't think putting any blade to a grinder is very good for it. I also saw in a post recently a guy said he sprays his digger with cooking spray? Does anyone else do that to cut cleaner plugs? I can see how that might work. Sorry I'm so long winded,,, Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!

Sounds like you have things organized well. I am still trying to figure out which way I am going with carrying my digging tools, accessories and finds. As for the grinding of my blade I use a 4" grinder with a 100 grit flapper wheel to sharpen my Lesche. The factory edge on my Lesche is really not any sharper than a butter knife. After I sharpened it cut very very nice plugs. Not razor sharp but sharp enough to be dangerous if my had were to slip. As far as any kind of sprays or oils on the blade to makemit cut easier, no. The first couple of strokes cutting into the ground would wipe the lube off the blade.

I'm sure that the oil on the blade is for the dirt to slide off of the blade. When I use my snow blower I spray lubricant on the chute of the snow blower and trust me, it helps.

if those are the gel knee pads without the plastic cap they won't last very long, those were the first pair i bought and they lasted only a couple months before wearing a flat spot right at the knee cap, not ta mention they would get wet very easily on wet or dew covered grass and soak right thru to my pants. get the pair with the plastic cap and your be much happier

I use a Fiskars big grip garden knife. It's very similar to a lesche and also lifetime guaranteed
You need proof you bought a Fiskars? Asking because another Md'er had it snap at the handle and just tossed it aside. As far as I know it is still lying there.

Maybe check out a trappers trowel and round the end off, they are designed to go narrow and deep, for $19 might be worth a try

After gouging a few coins (luckily not silver, err, too bad) I have got in the habit of cutting a bigger plug and scooping the remaining dirt out with my gloved hand. Works for me.

If you're doing like I am, having to retrieve keepers from 6" or deeper...in whatever kind of soil conditions, try one of these...
IMG_0450-1.jpg
[/IMG]the Raptor, by Predator Tools. Cuts and pries out perfect neat plugs and scoops out the dirt if you didn't cut deep enough. This tool won't break or bend no matter how hard or rocky the ground...

Ding, ding, ding.........Capt Silver is the........Winner! That is exactly what I am lookingnfor to compliment my Lesche. I like the wide duck end that will scoop loose dirt out of the bottom of a hole. Gotta look it up. Thank you.:grin:

Skrap, I'm going out in the foul weather in the morning to attempt to continue my silver run:cool:. I will make sure to take pix of the tool in use.

I never widen the hole. To get deeper in the hole, I jab the fiskars in the bottom of the hole while going along the sides of the plug and twist the digger. It breaks up the dirt in the center and just scoop it out with your hand.

My son has those grips on his honda atv. I dont like making small plugs I find they brown over here in the northeast summers. I also use my hand for the loose dirt seems to work fine. Good job on the teeth I made a few diggers out of steel flat bar couple of years back I put teeth on both sides my friend liked it so much he put them on his lesche aswell.

I love that damn little digging tool. I took my grinder out today and really sharpened up the edges and it works even better. Now comes the issue. I try to dig my holes as narrow as possible to get to my target. Somewhere about 4" in diameter give or take........ The problem comes in when I have a deep target the Lesche is useless pulling dirt out of a narrow and deeper hole. Been using my hand to pull out loose dirt if I have to scrape the side of the hole or break up the bottom of the narrow hole to go deeper. If the ground is at all wet it gets my hand quite messy as well as everything else I touch.

I thought about stealing a large serving spoon and bend it a bit from the kitchen drawer but that could get me in hot water. What are you all using to get the loose dirt out.

Maybe a 10" Lesche with a duck-bill tip instead of a pointed tip. Lesche........you hearin' me?

You got a lot of good answers. I liked the cheap curved stainless trowel that I bought from one of the MD dealers. Once sharpened it worked great for plugs and digging out the dirt in the bottom of the hole. I abused that cheap tool and never even bent it. I like my lesche, but that cheap stainless digger was great once modified. I lost it at one of my hunting sites on the way out...never replaced it because I hate carring extra tools and the Lesche is adequate for my hunting style.

Tools again

I actually got the gel knee pads that are capped with the caps held on with with almost dime sized center-less Brass rivets. They are more like an eyelet than a rivet? I had been using a Cen Tech pin pointer and recently went to a Pro P, Using the Pro P around the top of my hole it kept showing the target back towards me more. I dug towards myself a while before I realized the Pro P was picking up my Knee pads, I felt like a real knucklehead. I wanted to mention a digger I saw today on Amazon its an Ames Jackson, it's pretty good looking for $20 digger...Back to the point, I saw one in a photo and have heard of the Fiskars big grip breaking on the spot welds. I looked at mine and I see they must have gotten complaints and have changed to a full weld. I don't use a digger to pry or a pry bar to dig, so I will never break mine.....:digginahole:

Back
Top Bottom