Minelab X-Terra 705 review

Surfchunker

Elite Member
wow there is quite the difference from the Old BH compared to the ML ... Did manage to find a wheat, two Zincoln's and a little brass screw on cap ... only managed about a hour with it but I can say I think the Ole BH has the Honey hole picked pretty clean but sure there is a couple goodies left

Questions
1. should there be a low hum at all times
2. when pinpointing and say your getting a 32 and get it centered and then the screen says -8 ... is that normal ... or is it just picking up then on the strongest signal

I'm sure I'm gonna like it a lot better after I spend some quality time with it but the silver wasn't jumping out of the holes

had another thing in my pocket and first thought it was the end of a spoon kids had played with and hammered it flat ... got it cleaning it and saw a penny in the center ... a wheat penny ... a little more cleaning and it's a German Beer Good luck Token ... haven't got a date on the penny yet but it's a Wheat and from a local brewery

the front side looks just like this but not in as good shape but the penny is in better shape ...
cn0027a.jpg

Kinda cool. Never seen one of those before. My new 705 will be here today. Can't wait.

Congrats on the new machine!
Yes, there is supposed to be a low level hum. It's called the threshold, and you need to read up on it as it is important.
As for your question about ID.....it depends.....what was the target?

The best advice I can give is, to download and read Randy Horton's free e-book, and s-l-o-w d-o-w-n! Your new unit is capable of delivering so much more information and finding deeper targets than your old one, it takes time.

I thought that was probably what it was ... Thanks LH ... I have the booklet saved and read it once and reread parts several times so far and also Youtube it too

I also found an awesome little cap from something and after cleaning it up it is very ornate ... outside measures 1/2"

had it back out this afternoon to a spot I had went over before with the BH and found 3 wheats, 18, 37 and 41, an All Quality Mints 5 cent vending machine token and an old lipstick tube top Kissable

Slowly getting the hang of it

Congrats on getting a great machine. Like a lot of minelabs you will need to swing it fairly slow, 2ft per second-ish...

[/QUOTE]
Questions
1. should there be a low hum at all times
Yes, that is called the threshold. When it disappears (nulls, called nulling) this means that you are over something that is discrimated, but based on #2 it sounds like you are in all metal, which is fine on the 705. The threshold should be adjusted so that you can just hear it enough to know it is there. Most high end VLF detectors have a threshold.

2. when pinpointing and say your getting a 32 and get it centered and then the screen says -8 ... is that normal ... or is it just picking up then on the strongest signal

This sounds like what the e-trac when it falses on rusty nails, due to the halo effect.

I've been running it in coin mode and #1 setting ... I get lots of wrap around ... and yes I'm learning to have to swing it much slower than the old Bounty Hunter ... Thanks Ryan

nest question, today I was over top of a lot of old slag (hot rocks) and it was driving it crazy, I ended up turning the Sens. down from 22 to 16 to get it to quiet down some is the right way to deal with it ? Thanks I'm starting to get the hang of it

Just for kicks, try GB'ing over one to see where it GB's at compared to "normal". If it's within 5 or so, and it quiets it down, then you can play with the tracking offset to help manage them.

thanks I'll have to read about that ... it's loaded anywhere you dig from 6-8" down in that one spot I was at ... guess back in the day people just used it for fill or just checked it out the door ... I did get over a good hot spot and auto Gb it

update @ 2 weeks

really getting the hang of it now ... last two days I've been running tracking GB and getting better at IDing what's there and whether to dig or not ... had a short hour hunt today and found 5 quarters, 63 nickel, 65 dime and a 1919 wheat, but still no silver. somebody had been in there very recently, and I know it was hit by a friend several years ago. guess I need some new spots, getting much better at moving along and not digging trash and learning a good signal from a bad one. I've hunted with it on average 2-3 hours a day.

New Coil

Just called Bart and ordered a new coil for it. 9" concentric 3kHz coil ... Got a great deal. Bart's the Man

Back
Top Bottom