Picked up new Cz455 American 22lr,,look at how the Gemtech ammo shoots in it

Sweet!
Opening up a barrel channel is a HUGE pain if you don't have the right set of tools for the job. I've got a set of channel rasps that I've had for 40yrs, and I can't imagine doing some of the work I've done without them.

I still haven't convinced myself that I need a chassis for my Axis. It's intended use is as a field piece, so I really don't want to make it any heavier. I've already got enough heavy guns. A Rifle Basix trigger may end up being it's only significant upgrade.

Here is one of my latest projects.

View attachment 389089

Nice!

My go-to nail driver is a Springfield Armory M1a (standard grade), with an ARMS-18 Mount and a Bushnell 3 by 9.

Don't spend the extra cash on a match or super-match model, If you you can shoot, you don't need it.

I reqularly outshot guys with match and super-match grade M1a's at Fort Hood.

They used to have me shoot their rifles to "see if something was wrong"!

I always wanted an M1A, or an M25. Of course I always wanted an FAL too. I might still get one of 'em, because I want a .308 battle rifle to go with my LRR....a Savage FPLE-2A w/Leatherwood M1200 on a Ken Ferrell one piece steel base.
AlphaRifle01e.jpg

Last edited:
After a 12 month wait, I finally got my suppressor. AAC Element II is super quiet with CCI standard ammo. It remains subsonic and no noticeable FRP whatsoever.

Did a few other upgrades to the FV-SR.. Installed an Apachee trigger kit (18oz pull), new Harris bipod, and switched out my old Jacaranda colored Boyd's Evo stock for a Forest Camo version. Scope is a Mueller 4.5-14X40mm.

FVSR-silenced.jpg

2245silenced.jpg

Another thread revival.
Picked up a Ruger Precision Rimfire today. Hoping to get out to shoot it in the next few days.
Pics to follow soon.

Many years ago I was I the market for an accurate bolt action .22 rifle. I had three or four that I was considering.

I happened to be in Savannah Ga to run the trucking company office down there for a few days while my manager of that office was on vacation.

Stopped in a local gun shop and was talking to the owner about .22 rifles. He recommended a new Ruger that had just come on the market. It was the Ruger 77/22. He claimed that with the proper ammo it would stand up with the much higher priced rifles.

So I purchased one and spent a few days visiting every gun shop I could find searching for one box of every different ammo that I could find.

I spent a lot of time at the range just testing ammo to see how it shot out of that particular rifle. I found two brands that the gun liked.

Many a squirrel has visited my and friends dinner table because they exposed their head where I could find it in the scope.

It has been said that only an accurate rifle is interesting. I guess my Ruger could be called Interesting.

I bought a Remington 513 from a friend because he said you couldn't hit anything with it. It had receiver sights and after readjusting them, that was the most accurate rifle that I have ever had. I could outshoot friends who had scopes on their rifles. Using CB caps I had my coiusin convinced that I had a silencer built in. It was quieter than most air rifles but still hit harder than they do. It's only bad point was that as a target rifle it was heavy. I ended up trading it off and now I wish that I hadn't.

Last edited:
I still have my 513T that I bought over 40yrs ago. Globe front sight and rear peep w/adjustable apertures.

I'd probably shoot it more if my peepers were what they once were, but they aren't, and I don't want to scope it. I reworked the trigger to the point where I won't let anyone else shoot it. I have to be careful when I close the bolt, and you don't touch the trigger until you have it pointed at where you want a hole.

I bought a Remington 513 from a friend because he said you couldn't hit anything with it. It had receicer sights and after readjusting them, that was the most accurate rifle that I have ever had. I could outsoot friend who had scopes on their rifles. Using CB caps I had my coiusin convinced that I had a silencer built in. It was quieter than most air rifles but still hit harder than they do. It's only bad point was that as a target rifle it was heavy. I ended up trading it off and now I wish that I hadn't.

That is one model I have never held or had.
Read loads on it though.
Seems like a good one.

Took the baby RPR out on the 100yd range for a bit today.

RPR_1 08-05-18.jpg
RPR_2 08-05-18.jpg

Shot at an 6" gong. It was so easy that I dialed in the 1.6 MIL holdover and started shooting at the hole in the top of the gong, and then at the bolt heads for the chain. The 9-13mph crosswind was the only thing making that a challenge.

RPR_3 08-05-18.jpg

Last edited:
Must be nice to be able to use reactive targets. 'Round these parts, the local county ranges only allow cardboard.

Roger

My 2 cents worth. $125 or so will buy you one of the most accurate rifles for offhand shooting I have ever handled. Remington Model 34. The ultra slim stock makes it a joy to carry. The long barrel provides a beautiful long sight radius. If your old eyes can’t handle the open sights, a Williams WGRS receiver sight and a new higher front sight will fix it. The sight ( or a scope mount of you want to ruin the thing with an ugly tube on top) are easily and securely attached with “Shoe Goo”. Can’t knock it off and if you want to remove it, about 275 degrees of hot air will soften it and peel it off. No muss, no fuss, no marks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_34

Must be nice to be able to use reactive targets. 'Round these parts, the local county ranges only allow cardboard.

Roger
I have my own range at home. I shoot whatever I want to. :D

My 2 cents worth. $125 or so will buy you one of the most accurate rifles for offhand shooting I have ever handled. Remington Model 34. The ultra slim stock makes it a joy to carry. The long barrel provides a beautiful long sight radius. If your old eyes can’t handle the open sights, a Williams WGRS receiver sight and a new higher front sight will fix it. The sight ( or a scope mount of you want to ruin the thing with an ugly tube on top) are easily and securely attached with “Shoe Goo”. Can’t knock it off and if you want to remove it, about 275 degrees of hot air will soften it and peel it off. No muss, no fuss, no marks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_34
Wait until your eyes get old. Then you can tell me all about it.

Besides.....
The long term plan for this little gem is to stretch it's legs out well beyond 200yds. You're not going to do that with irons and "Tennessee windage" or "by guess and by golly". A scope that tracks accurately is required.

LH - I’m 71.

Cataracts from 20 years in Arabian Desert sun left me with new plastic lenses in both eyes - cornea replacement. Perfect focus from about 2.5 feet to infinity - clear as crystal. Receiver sight and a lovely small gold bead on the front make me deadly to 100 yards. since I don’t kill paper targets, it’s all I need.

As far a scopes for nailing ink at a couple of hundreds of yards go - I suspect my lowly - older than me Reminginton would do fine with about $1500 worth of German optics Shoe Gooded to the barrel. You might try it.

LH - I’m 71.

Cataracts from 20 years in Arabian Desert sun left me with new plastic lenses in both eyes - cornea replacement. Perfect focus from about 2.5 feet to infinity - clear as crystal. Receiver sight and a lovely small gold bead on the front make me deadly to 100 yards. since I don’t kill paper targets, it’s all I need.

As far a scopes for nailing ink at a couple of hundreds of yards go - I suspect my lowly - older than me Reminginton would do fine with about $1500 worth of German optics Shoe Gooded to the barrel. You might try it.

So a sharpshooter uh.

Not me. I am just a plinker.. Lol
My general plinkers of choice is a Anschutz model 1710, or a Ravin R20 cross bow, or a savage ruger 204.
All good within just a few feet on my best day.

Now back in the 90s, I had a anschutx model 1416. If I could see a squirrel with leaves on with my naked eye, I could bring it out of a tree. Shooting free handed with a scope. Didn’t matter how far. Naturally I am a bit odler now, and don’t play with my plinkers as much as I use to.
I was holy terror with that particular gun. Paid $760 for it bare gun back in 92. Gun shop owner asked me what I was going to use it for. I told him squirrels. He laughed big time. After shooting the gun when I bought, I then knew why he laughed. A super shooter for me. Dummy me ruined it though not knowing any better. How? The gent who sold me the gun sold me a stainless steel cleaning rod with a guide.
Don’t ever run a stainless steel rod down any rifle barrel you care anything about. I was ignorant back when.
This is why I have a 1710 model now.

The trick with the 1400 series and 1700series anschutz models is to take out the preload trigger sear spring and screw. Trigger instantly goes to around a pound.
I like light triggers.

Had a Sako Finnfire with Lilja barrel that was a shooter too. Stock in back to big for me. Could shoot from bench but not in the wild well as I wanted to. I like small grips in the back. Keeps me from torquing the gun.
I am also a bit unusual when it comes to shooting for a right hander. I hardly ever miss right (which is what most right handers seems do) instead if I miss it will be left. Crossbow the same way too.

I wish I had a dollar for every 22 shell I have fired in my life.
I could buy a bunch of Manta detectors.lol

Last edited:
Old ways can be good. For causal plinking or small game to 100 yards, optimum small bore accuracy was achieved by about 1890 or thereabouts. Of course corrosive priming ruined all those barrels, so the introduction of “Kleanbore” and similar non-mercuric priming in the 20th century fixed that. Here’s good link to the story of how that came about.

https://www.bevfitchett.us/ballistics/priming-compounds-and-primers-introduction.html

Sharpshooter? No, not hardly. The only official qualification I have is with the 2” barrel Smith and Wesson revolver issued as part of our USAF survival kit when I was a young KC-135 pilot back in the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s

The only qual was in OTS and I think it was 18 rounds at 15 feet with 12 hits or something like that on a man sized target. Not many failed, but we had a woman in our flight in Officer Training school and we weren’t so sure that she would qualify. The range was a bit “loose” and after several of us were pretty sure we had qualed, we kind of helped. I think she got something like 24 out of 18 - or something like that.

In any case it was 50 years ago and my grasp of the fine details might be hazy.

In any event, my skinny elegant Remington is my favorite 22 with a Marlin model 56 lever action as runner up. This is after trying about 10 different ones over the last couple of years.

My little anschutz plinker with custom Mcmillan stock.
I’ll likely be buried with this gun here. Only fitting.
They don’t make these guns like this one anymore. Safety has been changed on newer samemodels.
Btw, what you see cost me $2800 back in Sep 2007. $1700for gun, $700 for stock, $400for scope
The gun by itself now with wood stock no scope with different safety cost approx $2300 now.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/779180097

20jmf10.jpg

In the last 10 years approx 10,000 squirrels have fallen victim to this rifle. Out of the approx 10,000 squirrels shot, all headshot except for around 50. And most of this 50 (nonhead shot) were shot when the leaves were off and shots were farther generally like 50 plus yards out to 80 yards. Btw we have 7.5 months out of the year here for squirrel season. The above statistics reflect more the gun, not me the shooter. Some dealers in USA seems have quit dealing Anschutz. I figure it is the price. CZ rifles are very popular and good for the price paid. Still like my plinker above better though.

I may be wrong saying this here. But the match54 Anschutz rifles what the gun is above, Inthink has the fastest locktime ever put on a production gun. When trigger is pulled, minimum delay for cartridge ignition. So even sloppy shots can turn out pretty good. Meaning poor follow through gets covered up somewhat. Especially for a slower moving 22 lr cartridge.
I always shot subsonic rounds out of my gun.

The manufacturer makes the claim here on page 1.
I know I haven ‘t shot another action or model made by another manufacturer with faster locktime.
http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/downloads/Pressespiegel/PR_RodnRifle_2007-12-1_EN.pdf?downloads

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom