Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202

Wolfman1966

Got given one for free...so I can't complain about the price.
Just wanting ya'lls opinions on it.
Also, I'm looking at getting a pinpointer, seems like a good one can be brought for around $20 at harbor freight...anyone know if thats a good one?

Got given one for free...so I can't complain about the price.
Just wanting ya'lls opinions on it.
Also, I'm looking at getting a pinpointer, seems like a good one can be brought for around $20 at harbor freight...anyone know if thats a good one?

Many started with the lower end Bounty Hunters and used them to learn the basics and found stuff.
Most upgraded to others with more features and abilities if they liked and stayed in the hobby.

Many of us used the HF pinpointer at first too...I did and it made a big difference for me for my first 3 months in the hobby.
Most of us upgrade to a much better one eventually also.
A huge difference between that one and the more expensive ones which is logical.
Both kinds do help to zero in on metal, just different quality and ease of use levels between them.

If you get the HF unit you will probably need to replace the switch eventually.
Mine started to act up on the second hunt using it.
Most of us had to because this is the weak link in the system but it is pretty easy to do.

Starting out in this hobby some start with the very best tools, some aim for the middle and many start out with the low end stuff.
They all seem to find metal and do basically what they are supposed to do so they all seem to do the job, they get you involved in the hobby.
As you learn and progress if you choose to stay in the hobby you will eventually have a much better idea of the features and benefits of different brands, quality and ability levels of all the tools available by the time you think you are ready for an upgrade...if ever.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

I used a Bounty Hunter Prospector for almost a year - got it in a trade on Craigslist. I found some cool stuff with it, silver coins and a gold ring even. Gotta spend time learning your machine no matter the make.

On the pinpointer, I didn't use one for nearly three years and did fine. Bought a Garrett carrot and it's a fun tool.

On the HF pinpointer I gave them a earnest shot but unlike a lot of folks I found them to not be worth that effort.

Happy hunting.

I used a bount hunter pioneer 202 for about 7 years before I got my ATPro. It put over $1000 in my pocket during that time. I hit mostly swimming beaches for clad and jewelry. Take time to learn it and it will pay.

Back
Top Bottom