definitely in my top three of all time finds! ★war of 1812 plate★

Wow!!!! That is a museum piece right there. You don't see that everyday. I would avoid trying to straighten it out as well, I've messed up more than 1 find trying to fix it. Congrats.

Thank you. Ive decided to have it professionally straightened. No restoration needed! The applied bar on the back that is gone was iron.so im going2 leave that as is. Once its straight I think you are right about being museum quality. Its details on the front are absolutely perfect! Not a ding or flaw anywhere.
I dont think the average person knows how rare&great of a find this is. Its hard for me to think about people wanting to search for clad and fresh dropped junk jewelry over the old stuff. But thats just me.
And standing out in the field where I found it, it was so quiet. I stood there trying to imagine walking in this mans shoes. Born in the late 1700s, working the farm, going to war and coming back here. I Imagined he too, took a moment to enjoy the quietness of HIS field. (THEN LOST HIS BUCKLE) HAHAHA.
THANKS

:shock: What an incredible find!! Congrats!! But are you sure it's not just a brass heating element from a toaster?? :lol:

In all seriousness though, it's definitely worth the professional restoration, not a DIY job in my opinion!

yuk yuk yuk!!! :lol:

Milton founded in 1802. I'm up in Conway, founded in 1765. I need one of THOSE fields, dangit! Incredible finds!

Thank you. Ive decided to have it professionally straightened. No restoration needed! The applied bar on the back that is gone was iron.so im going2 leave that as is. Once its straight I think you are right about being museum quality. Its details on the front are absolutely perfect! Not a ding or flaw anywhere.
I dont think the average person knows how rare&great of a find this is. Its hard for me to think about people wanting to search for clad and fresh dropped junk jewelry over the old stuff. But thats just me.
And standing out in the field where I found it, it was so quiet. I stood there trying to imagine walking in this mans shoes. Born in the late 1700s, working the farm, going to war and coming back here. I Imagined he too, took a moment to enjoy the quietness of HIS field. (THEN LOST HIS BUCKLE) HAHAHA.
THANKS

The buckle is a great piece of history and one I've been wanting to find to match my hatplate . The buckle is old but not war of 1812 its listed in the military book of plates as a patterned 1818-1835 militia era . The "great star" variety is a bit more uncommon than the usual common eagle variety , the bar on the back was brass but it had iron (two) prong teeth .congratulations on a fine piece , there are a few guys that do great restoration on these .

Google this guy---- Restoration by Leonard Short -i believe he can fix any thing- Tony

Yes you are spot on. Thats the man I contacted to have it fixed

I am considering having the other belt plate I found there, restored. Just because of all the military items I found at this one site. Think it will make a great display.

Attachments

• 20150927_173211.jpg
    20150927_173211.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 20150927_202950-1.jpg
    20150927_202950-1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 175
Back
Top Bottom