• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Can anyone beat my internet speed?

It's too bad you can't get wireline ATT Uverse, I install 50/10 service almost daily and the cost is reasonable. You can't get ATT wireline services in a Verizon area because they have their own service district networks, and they normally don't overlap.

We have the unlimited ATT cellular data service and get about 15/15 mbps. After 22 Gigs of data usage they may slow the speeds, but I haven't seen any difference. We use about 150 Gigs per month on average.

GKL- I have a 760 (I think) air card, but they no longer make it. It has a jack for an external antenna, to which is connected to a Wilson Trucker antenna.

I can't go back to Verizon site, it won't even load. I have no cap, I just pay extra for anything over 5GB. I was told today if I ran-over by 1GB, it would cost me an additional $51. Needless to say the $20/mo was a no-brainer for an additional 5GB.

They did however just email me with Tracking Numbers :lol:

I replied telling them someone should really answer my first email before shipping anything, otherwise they'll be paying to get it back, because I'm not paying for it.

Since you can't load the Verizon site here is a pic of part of the following page https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/upgrade-fee-faqs/

verizonfee.jpg

Here at work I'm on 12mbs (8 bonded T1's) so my upload is nowhere close to my download which isn't nothing special. Now, I do have a 100mbs fiber but I use it for sending images to outside radiologist.

Attachments

• netspeed.jpg
    netspeed.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 121
Internet service has always been a huge challenge here in the sticks. When we first got here, we realized there was no cable tv, nothing but old and failing ATT phone lines. We got Wildblue satellite first and put up with it for a few years. It was painfully slow and at the first cloud or raindrop it went out and stayed out for days at a time.

After that we went over to a hotspot with US Cellular. That was faster but expensive as all get out. We didn't use that very long at all.

The third try we got what used to be called Rhino Internet. It's radio wave internet and it's the best we've had here. Unfortunately they were bought out by Rise Broadband and the customer service is not what Rhino had, but at least we have decent internet. Our speeds are not fast by metro area standards, but are pretty dang good after suffering through satellite misery for years. I think we're at just under 5.0mbps for download. Upload is less than 1. Still... except for momentary lapses (it tends to go out and pop back in often) it's better than what we had before.

Just off the phone with Verizon, she said nothing they could do about the $40 Update Fee, but she "was sorry" I wasn't told about it. I told her to cancel my order, and restore my account to what it was prior to yesterday, and I'd be calling to cancel as soon as I found another provider.

She told me to hold, talked to someone else, and said they'd knock it down to $20, I still said no, even $1 was more than I was informed I'd be charged, and to go ahead with the cancellation process. She put me on hold again, came back, and said they'd waive the entire $40.

She also asked me if I was informed of the $35 "restocking fee" in the event I returned the equipment because it wouldn't work any better than what I currently have :roll: :laughing: "Noooooo" I told her, and ask why they thought I'd pay an extra charge because their product wouldn't perform? So, she waived that too, in the event it didn't work any better, as long as I called them 1st if there were any issues, which I agreed.

So, I'll know more after it's delivered, and I run another speed test. Hopefully it's a little better than the one I posted yesterday.

Just off the phone with Verizon, she said nothing they could do about the $40 Update Fee, but she "was sorry" I wasn't told about it. I told her to cancel my order, and restore my account to what it was prior to yesterday, and I'd be calling to cancel as soon as I found another provider.

She told me to hold, talked to someone else, and said they'd knock it down to $20, I still said no, even $1 was more than I was informed I'd be charged, and to go ahead with the cancellation process. She put me on hold again, came back, and said they'd waive the entire $40.

She also asked me if I was informed of the $35 "restocking fee" in the event I returned the equipment because it wouldn't work any better than what I currently have :roll: :laughing: "Noooooo" I told her, and ask why they thought I'd pay an extra charge because their product wouldn't perform? So, she waived that too, in the event it didn't work any better, as long as I called them 1st if there were any issues, which I agreed.

So, I'll know more after it's delivered, and I run another speed test. Hopefully it's a little better than the one I posted yesterday.

:whoohoo::hat3:
Way to go !!!! I'm proud of you for how you stood your ground, many companies will only make such concessions IF they think they might lose you as a customer.

They figure having an ongoing monthly customer is more important than any one time fees.

......now, hoping that internet speed improves big time !!!!

If it doesn't at first, it could be some settings need tweaked so give them a chance to figure it out if the speed isn't up to par at first.

Internet service has always been a huge challenge here in the sticks. When we first got here, we realized there was no cable tv, nothing but old and failing ATT phone lines. We got Wildblue satellite first and put up with it for a few years. It was painfully slow and at the first cloud or raindrop it went out and stayed out for days at a time.

After that we went over to a hotspot with US Cellular. That was faster but expensive as all get out. We didn't use that very long at all.

The third try we got what used to be called Rhino Internet. It's radio wave internet and it's the best we've had here. Unfortunately they were bought out by Rise Broadband and the customer service is not what Rhino had, but at least we have decent internet. Our speeds are not fast by metro area standards, but are pretty dang good after suffering through satellite misery for years. I think we're at just under 5.0mbps for download. Upload is less than 1. Still... except for momentary lapses (it tends to go out and pop back in often) it's better than what we had before.

We never had satellite before, had thought about it in the past, but when I heard stuff similar to what you posted we shied away from it, fortunately our cable internet has been very dependable !

This country, compared to most of the rest of the world, has the worst quality internet services...period.
It doesn't have to be that way, the cable companies control everything and keep everything throttled down and expensive...because they can.

Watch S1 EP 24 of Adam Ruins Everything. Adam Ruins the Internet.
Or don't if you would prefer not to get real mad.

If it doesn't at first, it could be some settings need tweaked so give them a chance to figure it out if the speed isn't up to par at first.

That's probably all they needed to do anyway, they just wanted to sell me some new stuff, and try and "Fee" me to death.

Great show, i just watched that episode the other day, streaming of course.
This country, compared to most of the rest of the world, has the worst quality internet services...period.
It doesn't have to be that way, the cable companies control everything and keep everything throttled down and expensive...because they can.

Watch S1 EP 24 of Adam Ruins Everything. Adam Ruins the Internet.
Or don't if you would prefer not to get real mad.

Okay, I was wondering what the slowest home internet speeds some people might have and found this article from 2015 -

Do you think your Internet is slow? That's nothing compared to what these folks are going through.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/25/technology/slow-internet/

quoted from the above link -

If you live in Chicago, and try to connect via AT&T (T, Tech30) from 4 p.m to 11 p.m., speeds for certain websites and Internet services are basically like dial-up in the 1990s.

There are a handful of other examples from researchers at M-Lab, which provides tools to assess Internet performance.
In some cases, Internet speeds can be as slow as 0.5 Megabits per second.

Take Seattle, where CenturyLink (CTL) customers trying to access particular sites from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. will have unbearably slow speeds. New York's Time Warner Cable (TWC) customers from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Verizon customers from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. speeds are so slow that they can't access certain sites and services.

The same goes for Verizon (VZ, Tech30) customers in Washington trying to access particular sites at either 7 p.m. or 10 p.m.

Related: The Web is getting slower

Why is this happening?

Internet service providers (the companies we buy Internet access from) have interconnection deals with so-called tier-1 networks that serve the Internet's content to the world. But when the broadband companies feel that the tier-1s are using up too much bandwidth, particularly during peak Internet usage hours, Internet service providers often ask tier-1 networks to pay a toll for all the traffic they're sending.

When they're unable to reach an agreement, broadband companies will often refuse to broaden the pipe for tier-1s, resulting in extremely slow speeds during peak hours.

Time Warner Cable said its interconnection practices are "just and reasonable," per the FCC's guidelines. "A source with knowledge of the negotiations said that AT&T and GTT agreed to a deal last week." Verizon, CenturyLink and Tata did not offer comment.

The good news: it's very isolated. The biggest problem seems to be with a tier-1 network called GTT (GTT). Though it's unclear which sites and services GTT serves up, it's just one of nearly a dozen similar companies -- so it's not happening for every site, in every city and on every broadband company.

And the Internet overall is actually getting faster for most Americans. The FCC found that in 2014, broadband companies provided even greater speeds than advertised on average during peak hours. That's up from offering 97% of their advertised speeds during peak traffic times in 2013.

CNNMoney (New York)
First published June 25, 2015: 8:35 AM ET (end quote)

Many folks in wireline rural areas have to settle for 0.5 mbps (768kbps) because of copper attenuation. More than you know. It's been that way for years.

Many folks in wireline rural areas have to settle for 0.5 mbps (768kbps) because of copper attenuation. More than you know. It's been that way for years.

Wow, as undependable (in bad weather) as I heard satellite internet can be I'd think I'd have to try that if there was no other option than 0.5 mbps copper wireline.

Back
Top Bottom