after the rain

wescowood

My brother-in-law and i were discussing the weather and M/Ding. He swears the best time to hunt is after it rains. He says its easier to pin point a target and gets a better tone on his machine.
I have heard this before. He has a much older machine than i do. I was wondering if this still holds true.

I'll second the motion. Digging through Wisconsin clay, dry for that matter can be like trying to use a jello hammer to get through concrete. The rain does make a many difference. I'm new at this, but I went out last week and pulled a couple of targets from a hair deeper than I swung over the same area a couple of days earlier.......

HH as always,

Bri-

I have always noticed an average increased depth when the earth is moist. The water being a conductor amplifies the electronic signature of the targets.

hi wescowoood
if poss wait till the top layer of ground is dry after rain then at least your coil
won,t be affected by the surface when wet

I'll agree. After a good rain the moisture seems to magnify the halo around a target making it easier to get a signal. Not to mention it much easier to retrieve a target.

While I believe a good soaking rain won't hurt and maybe even help, I've not really noticed much difference on my machine. I suppose some frequencies are more affected by it than others.

Okie, I've read about the rain theory and one of the MXT experts agrees with you. One thing he pointed out was that even after a heavy rain the ground is only damp an inch or so. The ground conditions around the coin hasn't changed. So unless the moisture reaches 6 or 7" there should be no difference. Rob

I have found this to be true, I like to hunt in the woods, it seems to make a differnce.

The three large cents I got last week were after many good rains this spring/summer. I am fairly sure that I had passed over them last fall/winter after a summer drought, and a dry winter. Nothing scientific, but it makes sense to me. I was also told about the halo effect.

Where are you Brian? :?:

I believe this to be true and it can be explained as to why.

On a VLF technology detector, the received signal is broken down into
two components, a resistive and an inductive component.

The resistive component is in the same phase as the transmit signal, while the inductive component lags the transmit signal by ninety degrees (one quarter of the period of the transmit frequency).

As it turns out, the signal received from the ground matrix is largely resistive, while the signals received from high conductive targets is largely inductive in nature.

When the ground is soaked, the resistive component of the received signal is lowered (the ground matrix has less effect) and the inductive component becomes more dominant, allowing for the target signals to be more easily acquired.

I agree when you used the word soaked. I agree with the halo effect and have no reason to question Rudy's explaination. But in both cases this is if the ground is wet at the depth of the coin. One good rain might reach 2" deep and any detector would work for these shallow coins. Most good detectors with do 6" coins. It would take a lot of rain to get the ground wet 6" or more, especially with the conditions we are having this summer.

I just don't think one rain will make a difference. Rob

What may not be considered is the matrix and density of the soil. I am working a historic farm with the richest crumbly soil I have ever seen. An average 4 hr rain, and it is moist down below 8".

Another situation that comes to mind is a sandy soil that drains well, on top of a clayey soil. The water should percolate fairly quickly till it hits the clay, which is where the deep coins should be, and stands. This was my situation.

Good Huntin
Kevin

I assumed we were talking about a good rain. Of course a sprinkle isn't going to make much, if any, difference.

Another thing I noticed is even after a modest rain my detector seems to be more stable. That is to say the rain seems to mellow out mineralization. And of course the more stability you get the more audible depth you can get. Plus you can crank the power up a bit more.

I assumed we were talking about a good rain. Of course a sprinkle isn't going to make much, if any, difference.

Another thing I noticed is even after a modest rain my detector seems to be more stable. That is to say the rain seems to mellow out mineralization. And of course the more stability you get the more audible depth you can get. Plus you can crank the power up a bit more.

Yes, a good rain. Around here, SW MI, I can ususally hunt at full strength on my ACE 250. Sometimes I am down a notch or two but after a good rain, I rarely have to decrease the sensitivity and get a lot less ground noise.

Back
Top Bottom