New old house, renovation, and detecting is on the back burner...

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
Well, all of a sudden I got busier than a one armed paper hanger. Last winter we bought an old house on 12 acres and the house was in dire shape. I spent the spring working on it while BB was out working to bring home the bacon, but had to stop for the summer as it was too hot to work in there with no A/C...

Fast forward to last week... My brother came down to help us get the rest of the renovation done, there's still a ton of work before we can get moved into the thing. It will be fantastic when it's finished, but for the next couple of months there will be no time for detecting for me!

If you don't see me around for the next few weeks that's where I'll be, working my tail off by day and falling down asleep exhausted by nights. :yes:

Home comes first, I hope to get a few acre cottage next summer had enough of the city life. Hope near a lake to fish/hike etc. oh and detect of course

oj/bc

Hope all goes well with the renovation, and I'm sure there's at least some of that 12 acres you haven't detected yet so you'll have that to look forward to after the renovation is done :lol:

Well, all of a sudden I got busier than a one armed paper hanger. Last winter we bought an old house on 12 acres and the house was in dire shape. I spent the spring working on it while BB was out working to bring home the bacon, but had to stop for the summer as it was too hot to work in there with no A/C...

Fast forward to last week... My brother came down to help us get the rest of the renovation done, there's still a ton of work before we can get moved into the thing. It will be fantastic when it's finished, but for the next couple of months there will be no time for detecting for me!

If you don't see me around for the next few weeks that's where I'll be, working my tail off by day and falling down asleep exhausted by nights. :yes:

Hard work but when everything is said and done the fruits of your labor will be worth it. Pride in ownership and knowing that you did it. Good luck.

Take some Before, During, and After pictures....Thats the one thing me and Mrs Mud regret on some of our restos...going too fast to stop and document...'course that was back when you had to have an actual camera and not as easy to do as it is now a days...:laughing: Have fun and make it happen!

Take some Before, During, and After pictures....Thats the one thing me and Mrs Mud regret on some of our restos...going too fast to stop and document...'course that was back when you had to have an actual camera and not as easy to do as it is now a days...:laughing: Have fun and make it happen!

Mud has a good idea, and as an additional thing to try there are apps that can let you do time lapse video where you can watch hours of activity in a few minutes, it will make you wish you could actually work that fast :laughing:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ui.LapseItPro&hl=en

"Old house on 12 acres" Hope you took some practice swings around the place before purchasing or a least the realtor listed "never been metal detected on historic lot" :D I moved into a repo about 10 years back that sat empty for a few years as well. Did pretty much all the work myself and was at it for weeks before ready to move in and then months after we had moved in on stuff that was functional but could wait and could be tackled in what little free time I had. Alot of work but rewarding once done, not that it's ever done. Good luck with it.

I know how it is , I can count on one hand the number of times Ive been detecting this year because of a house I bought last year. I want to get out there and hunt with the detector but man am I busy ( and sometimes having fun ) with this new ( to me ) house. The benefit we get from this though is it gives a break , so you can eventually get back into hunting with a fresh set of eyes and perspective. A break now and then has always proved to be a good thing in this hobby for me.

Tell me about it! I've been working on a place since January, moved in yesterday and now living in it, so close to being done but dusty everywhere, and worst of all i have not been detecting in probably months!

Home comes first, I hope to get a few acre cottage next summer had enough of the city life. Hope near a lake to fish/hike etc. oh and detect of course

oj/bc

Sounds like a nice plan, hope you find something you like!

Hope all goes well with the renovation, and I'm sure there's at least some of that 12 acres you haven't detected yet so you'll have that to look forward to after the renovation is done :lol:

Thanks, I've actually only detected a tiny bit in the front yard. The house was set in place (moved in) in 1972, the older homestead is just south of our property line, and the whole shebang was part of a 200 acre farm. I found the old garden spot while clearing out junk & brush this week, that'll be my first place to try when I run out of work :lol:

Hard work but when everything is said and done the fruits of your labor will be worth it. Pride in ownership and knowing that you did it. Good luck.

I agree, there's nothing like working hard to fix up your own home!

:lol: Funny you say that, this is my 4th remodel in 10 years, or actually 17 years, and the first one in Colorado took me 7 years to do. I didn't take any before pics as digital cameras were just kind of new, and film too expensive. Wish I had though, that place started out a dump and ended up super nice.

Mud has a good idea, and as an additional thing to try there are apps that can let you do time lapse video where you can watch hours of activity in a few minutes, it will make you wish you could actually work that fast :laughing:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ui.LapseItPro&hl=en

Haha, I can just imagine! :lol: I'll have to check that out

"Old house on 12 acres" Hope you took some practice swings around the place before purchasing or a least the realtor listed "never been metal detected on historic lot" :D I moved into a repo about 10 years back that sat empty for a few years as well. Did pretty much all the work myself and was at it for weeks before ready to move in and then months after we had moved in on stuff that was functional but could wait and could be tackled in what little free time I had. Alot of work but rewarding once done, not that it's ever done. Good luck with it.

I did not do any detecting before the sale, it was a hurry up and buy the dang thing at the price it came on the market, as high as land is getting around here, so I have to hope and cross my fingers there will be something good in the ground :lol:

I lived in the middle of a construction zone on the Colorado house for years, don't want to do that ever again so this one has to be turnkey before I'm moving anything in! No half-done stuff on this job, I'm getting too old to do that :lol:

I know how it is , I can count on one hand the number of times Ive been detecting this year because of a house I bought last year. I want to get out there and hunt with the detector but man am I busy ( and sometimes having fun ) with this new ( to me ) house. The benefit we get from this though is it gives a break , so you can eventually get back into hunting with a fresh set of eyes and perspective. A break now and then has always proved to be a good thing in this hobby for me.

Yep, remodeling is a real time eater, but I agree, it's good to take a break from hunting once in a while and kinda reset.

Tell me about it! I've been working on a place since January, moved in yesterday and now living in it, so close to being done but dusty everywhere, and worst of all i have not been detecting in probably months!

Ha, exactly why I'm not moving in until it's done, been there, done that, didn't want the t-shirt cause it was full of drywall dust :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom