Dry media and vibratory cleaner

Birddog1911

Just thought I'd throw this information out, in case someone is looking for a way to clean clad nickels, dimes, etc.

I don't have a rock tumbler, but I do use a vibratory cleaner for my brass cases. I figured I'd give it a shot for cleaning my coins that I've found. With clean dry walnut cases, they came out looking beautiful after a few hours of cleaning.

Great that was what I was going to use awesome to hear it works great

I do have a vibratory cleaner (rock polisher). I'm going to try that with the walnut shells. What grit do you use?

I do have a vibratory cleaner (rock polisher). I'm going to try that with the walnut shells. What grit do you use?

Not at the house, and I'm not sure that there is a specific courseness to them. I just used Lyman walnut media. I did not use the one with the polishing compount.

I have a rock tumbler that works good, but I was also wondering how the dry media cleaner would work. Can you show a few examples of how yours turned out please.;)

I have a rock tumbler that works good, but I was also wondering how the dry media cleaner would work. Can you show a few examples of how yours turned out please.;)

Give me some time, I'm at work right now, and going hunting right after.:D I'll show an example of what they looked like before, and after.

Ok I led a sheltered life, I have never heard of a vibratory cleaner. I was petrified to look that up on Google here at work :laughing:
But it turned out fine. Boy those cleaners are expensive compared to rock tumbler.

Ray

Ok I led a sheltered life, I have never heard of a vibratory cleaner. I was petrified to look that up on Google here at work :laughing:
But it turned out fine. Boy those cleaners are expensive compared to rock tumbler.

Ray

Honestly, I've had mine so long, I don't remember what I paid. It may be more, but it's better for cleaning a few hundred brass cases at a time.

Give me some time, I'm at work right now, and going hunting right after.:D I'll show an example of what they looked like before, and after.
No hurry my friend, when ever you get the time. Right now if you can go hunting..........DOIT!;) Find more goodies.

No hurry my friend, when ever you get the time. Right now if you can go hunting..........DOIT!;) Find more goodies.

Well, it turns out that I was a victim of narrow focus, and a lack of reading glasses. I had only done a quick sift, and found a few that looked good. However, I cleared all of the coins out, and while they were clean, it actually didn't do much at all to return them to proper color.

Sorry all, I implied a good method before actually confirming it. I suppose that they're clean enough for turning into the bank, at least.

Well, it turns out that I was a victim of narrow focus, and a lack of reading glasses. I had only done a quick sift, and found a few that looked good. However, I cleared all of the coins out, and while they were clean, it actually didn't do much at all to return them to proper color.

Sorry all, I implied a good method before actually confirming it. I suppose that they're clean enough for turning into the bank, at least.
No worries. The only time you would clean coins in any kind of tumbler or the vibrating type would be for turning them back into the bank. I know a lot of places get a little owly when you turn in black crud covered coins. Thanks for the reply birddog.;)

Back
Top Bottom