electrolysis of old CW-era military buttons?

steveg

Elite Member
Hi, all...

Quick question -- I am BRAND NEW to electrolysis; I had a friend show me how he set up his electrolysis "rig," and so I did the same (an old much with a little salt water, old bent spoon dipped in the water, with one alligator clip connected to the spoon and the other to the object you are cleaning -- fed by a 9V transformer).

I tested it on a couple of old, crusty wheaties, just to see how it would work, and it did OK (though I found they are "crusty" in part due to some concrete that is adhered to them, and won't come off).

ANYWAY, it only takes a minute or two for the coins to clean; they bubble like crazy while "cooking" and then they are done.

So, I tried it on an old military button, and there was much less bubbling; still, after a minute or so, it was a little better looking, but I stopped right there, not wanting to damage it.

Do any of you clean your old military buttons this way, and if so -- how long do you let them "cook?"

Thanks!

Steve

I have only used electrolysis on iron with great success. You will need to be very careful with other metals and you and pit and ruin them. You can be very successful with it though.

There is an online detecting radio show that I listen to when I get a chance and on evening they were talking about this. The amperage (I believe) and the "salt" content are very important to not destroy coins and relics.

Many of the relic hunters on this forum use the olive oil, lemon juice or hot peroxide methods on buttons.

Doug

Doug --

Thanks for the info. Yes, I recognize that you will "pit" the things you are trying to clean, if you let them "cook" too long. In my very limited experience, a mild salt solution, and being very careful with the time, is necessary.

The idea of hot peroxide (which I have used on a few old coins) is also a good one. I will try that on a button or two, and see how it works also.

Thanks!

Steve

Do any of you clean your old military buttons this way, and if so -- how long do you let them "cook?"

.....no, never, because you don't have to, and there's almost always a better way unless you are talking about shipwreck condition. Total bad idea.

I do electrolysis on iron artifacts with good results. I have tried an Indianhead and a flat button and the results were terrible. I'm glad I didn't use it on any good items. Some of you may get good results, but I wouldn't risk ruining a good find. The green patina, to me, gives character to the piece.

SevenOneSix -- thanks for the link to the post, and the pics. Very interesting.

Iron Patch -- what would you suggest as being a better way...that's what I'd like to find out, what is the best way. I'm pretty new to the "relic" thing...

Seven -- I hear you on the "green patina." I have no problem with that; the button I tried it on was pretty crusty; it had a crust of some sort that hindered seeing much of the detail. I zapped it for just about 1-2 minutes, and some of that crust came off, revealing some better detail. I stopped right there, as I'm concerned about messing it up.

How long do you do your iron artifacts?

Steve

Like IP says, DO NOT do it.

I've never done the electrolysis thing, but my feeling is NEVER use it UNLESS the object is totally iron.

My best way to clean my buttons:

IF NO GILT: Hot soapy water & toothbrush. Once clean I use a brass wire brush & then coat with olive oil.

WITH GILT: Hot soapy water & toothbrush. Once clean I coat with olive oil.

Like IP says, DO NOT do it. I've never done the electrolysis thing, but my feeling is NEVER use it UNLESS the object is totally iron.

My best way to clean my buttons:

IF NO GILT: Hot soapy water & toothbrush. Once clean I use a brass wire brush & then coat with olive oil.

WITH GILT: Hot soapy water & toothbrush. Once clean I coat with olive oil.

Iron Patch -- what would you suggest as being a better way...that's what I'd like to find out, what is the best way. I'm pretty new to the "relic" thing...

Seven -- I hear you on the "green patina." I have no problem with that; the button I tried it on was pretty crusty; it had a crust of some sort that hindered seeing much of the detail. I zapped it for just about 1-2 minutes, and some of that crust came off, revealing some better detail. I stopped right there, as I'm concerned about messing it up.

Steve

It's always a case by case basis so there is not just one answer. Peroxide or lemon juice will clean the vast majority of those that need cleaning.

Now picture this one if I would have let you guys and your electrodes at it. :D

wvy3nm.jpg

Steve

Steve, it depends on how big and how bad the iron is crusted. I have left some for I know 48 hours. My power source is a 10.5V 200mA wall charger so it takes it a while.

OK, guys, I got it...if it's not IRON, don't do it.

Peroxide, lemon juice, olive oil to preserve after a little brass brushing...but NO electrolysis! Got it ;)

Thanks, Seven, for the info on the iron electrolysis. I will try that...

Iron Patch -- is that the SAME BUTTON, dirty, and then clean? If so, WOW!!!

Steve

OK, guys, I got it...if it's not IRON, don't do it.

Peroxide, lemon juice, olive oil to preserve after a little brass brushing...but NO electrolysis! Got it ;)

Thanks, Seven, for the info on the iron electrolysis. I will try that...

Iron Patch -- is that the SAME BUTTON, dirty, and then clean? If so, WOW!!!

Steve

Yes, same button.

I don't see a use for a brass brush unless it's to grind off the crud on pewter. Other metals you don't need it and there is a better way. Olive oil tends to be messy and does a bad job. Wax is better, or Vaseline because it's easier to work with and you can apply in a way to highlight the high points. Olive oil is basically more along the lines of a drowned rat result. Is ok for some coins that are pretty slick to begin with, but as I said I rarely need it and I clean a lot of stuff, most of which I buy so trust me when I say I know what I'm talking about and doing because if I didn't I'd be throwing money away... and I don't have enough to be doing that!

Your button turned out BEAUTIFUL, Patch.

Thanks!

Steve

Thanks. I was more than pleased with the result. I had about 98% of the corrosion off in the first hour, but spent over a week isolating the very small spots to get rid of the rest. It's wasn't too much time every day, but was the longest I spent on any one button.... but once it's done it's done and will be good forever.

Thanks. I was more than pleased with the result. I had about 98% of the corrosion off in the first hour, but spent over a week isolating the very small spots to get rid of the rest. It's wasn't too much time every day, but was the longest I spent on any one button.... but once it's done it's done and will be good forever.

worth every minute! Beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom