Does This Count As My Third Large Cent???

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I got out to hunt a farm field that used to be an old home site today - not a new site for me, I've hunted it several times before. The hunting there is always slow - the site is riddled with iron, but with patience, the site grudgingly gives up a good find or two each time I go there. It's a convenient site: close to home, plus the soil is very sandy so it drains great - never a sloppy mess even after heavy rains...or a thaw ;)

Anyway, about halfway through the hunt, I got over a nice sounding tone showing mid-20s on the VDI - pretty consistent all the way around the target. I was almost salivating, because this kind of signal is always something interesting at this site. I dug the plug, and after a brief search, I spotted the very edge of what had to be a coin sticking out of a clod of dirt. I grabbed the edge with my fingers and pulled...and that's all there was!! Just the barest sliver of a copper coin!! I re-scanned the hole and it was clean - the tiny piece of a coin was all that was there. Once I got it home and cleaned the dirt a bit, it was evident almost right away that it was a bit of a large cent - the curve of the coin, the "A" and part of the "M", and the stars match up nicely with another Largie that I've found. Coulda been my 3rd US Large Cent - now I just have to get out there and track down the other 98% of the cent!!

The really neat find from the hunt is the suspender ID badge from the Massachusetts Accident Company - apparently, if you were wealthy enough to have personal accident insurance, these were worn on your suspenders in the days prior to having a government issued ID so folks could identify you in case something went horribly wrong once you left the house. I absolutely love that it instructs the finder to "telegraph" to "identify me"...where's a Western Union when I need one!! Anyway, the badge rang up fairly low - I got the solid low tone while walking back to my car to find warmer gloves, and to be honest, I almost walked away from it. Looking at the VDI, it was a consistent 8-9. In this field, that's usually a no doubt "dig it"...but as I circled the target, in one direction it started to warble and drift up briefly to 12, and it was clearly right near the surface. There is some trash in the field from nearby road traffic, so I started to think "trash" and nearly resumed my trek to the car - but something about that tone quality just sounded too good...boy am I glad I decided to dig! Once I got it out of the ground, the warbling made sense - I'm sure the bent up attachment arms are what skewed the signal in the one direction. Included below is a picture of a prettier version of a similar item I found online - apparently they were somewhat common?? So far all I've dredged up is that the Massachusetts Accident Company was founded in 1883 by George E. McNeill, the "father of the 8-hour work day". They originally provided an early form of Workers Compensation Insurance to subscribers. The company was bought out in 1940, but I suspect the suspender clip is very early 1900s at the latest.

Another interesting find was a button marked "JWG&S N.Y." I found a similiar, but smaller button at the same site in December. Today's find didn't clean up quite as well as the smaller one - it almost looks like something iron was inserted through two of the buttonholes and corroded there? Anyway, I wasn't any more successful trying to find info on JWG&S than I was when I tried to research it in December!

Other finds included a decimated Wheatie that defied cleaning - I suspect it was in a fire. This one was pitted and corroded beyond belief, and started looking horrible as I unsuccessfully tried to get a date off of it. A modern shotshell headstamp, bits of copper, brass, & lead, etc. Pics below show the good and the bad... virtually everything that was dug (except the big iron, which were all surface finds).

Attachments

• IMG_2489.jpg
    IMG_2489.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 380
  • LargeCentSmall.jpg
    LargeCentSmall.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 381
  • LargeCentFront.jpg
    LargeCentFront.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 376
  • LargeCentBack.jpg
    LargeCentBack.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 356
  • Identification-Metal-ID-Tag-Brotherhood-Accident-Co-Boston.jpg
    Identification-Metal-ID-Tag-Brotherhood-Accident-Co-Boston.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 352
  • ButtonSmall.jpg
    ButtonSmall.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 349
  • ButtonsCompareCollageSmall.jpg
    ButtonsCompareCollageSmall.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_20190312_160040906_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190312_160040906_HDR.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 308
Very cool finds! That tag is pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing some background info on it. Hopefully you can find the rest of that largie out there somewhere!

Smallest Large cent I've seen. Wonder what happened to it and hope you find the other 0.98 cents.

Nice finds and great pictures.

Weather here has warmed and the snow is mostly gone. Planning on getting out this weekend but need to stay on higher ground that has hopefully drained and not too muddy.

Isn't it nice to be out digging in the mud. I love the buttons and nice job on identifying that small piece of large cent. I do not know if that qualifies as your third large cent but it definitely is a cut coin. A cut piece of one.:lol:

Those are some very interesting finds! I enjoyed your explanations of the history behind them. :waytogo:

Some very nice hunting Ben. Yes that does count as a coin. But there is a drawback to this, as when you locate the rest of that Large Cent those parts already are in that count. I do hope you will locate and recover the rest of this puzzle coin.:yes: Congrats! Trapper

I read somewhere that ID badges like that were also issued to soldiers at one time. Cool find for sure.

Very cool finds! That tag is pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing some background info on it. Hopefully you can find the rest of that largie out there somewhere!

Thanks Waveoff! At first I thought the tag was a chauffeur's badge which would have been pretty cool, too - but I love that it turned out to be something I'd never heard of before!

Smallest Large cent I've seen. Wonder what happened to it and hope you find the other 0.98 cents.

Nice finds and great pictures.

Weather here has warmed and the snow is mostly gone. Planning on getting out this weekend but need to stay on higher ground that has hopefully drained and not too muddy.

Thanks waltr! I can't imagine how it happened - almost seems like it had to be intentionally cut. I doubt a plow would break it so cleanly and completely, but I can't imagine why someone would slice one up, either! However it happened, it certainly happened a long time ago - the patina on the "cut" edges looks the same as the rest of the coin.

Hopefully you'll get the chance to get out this weekend. It really has been a catch 22 around here - it's finally warming up and the ground is thawing, but there hasn't been a lot of sun. That's keeping the ground a bit soupy in most of the farm fields and some other spots. I'm lucky to have one or two nicely draining sandy fields!

Isn't it nice to be out digging in the mud. I love the buttons and nice job on identifying that small piece of large cent. I do not know if that qualifies as your third large cent but it definitely is a cut coin. A cut piece of one.:lol:

Thanks Dan! I'm actually finding that it's still at least partially frozen about 3-4" down in a lot of spots. Some parts of the fields have that silty soil, and that's the worst when it's still frozen - it's like trying to push my shovel through concrete!

I'd say count it!!

(Just my 0.02 cents)

I think I'm going to list it in my finds count as .02 of a Largie :lol: :yes: It'll surely lead to a fun story whenever anyone asks how the heck I've found 3.02 Large Cents!! :cool3:

Those are some very interesting finds! I enjoyed your explanations of the history behind them. :waytogo:

Thanks Princess! I'm glad you enjoyed the story behind them. That's at least half of the fun for me - researching and learning a little about the items, and what it might tell me about the person who lost it.

Some very nice hunting Ben. Yes that does count as a coin. But there is a drawback to this, as when you locate the rest of that Large Cent those parts already are in that count. I do hope you will locate and recover the rest of this puzzle coin.:yes: Congrats! Trapper

Thanks Trapper! I'm putting it in my finds count as 0.02 of a Largie - it'll be a nice conversation starter, and solves that drawback :cool3: I've got the spot marked - you better believe I'll be out there again to see if I can track down the rest of it!

Well THAT is one cool suspender buckle... Nice!

Thanks, teotw! I really love when this kind of stuff comes out of the ground! It just oozes with the allure of a by-gone age!

I read somewhere that ID badges like that were also issued to soldiers at one time. Cool find for sure.

Interesting - thanks for sharing that, Estima8tor! I'll keep my eyes peeled for that possibility as I continue research on it!

I guess you call that "LC...some assembly required", It's still a neat piece of history.

Back
Top Bottom