• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Puppy's first hunt

Scooterjim

Elite Member
Yesterdays hunt was more about enjoying a beautiful day than finding anything. Murphy and I hit the park down the street for an hour. This was his first hunt and his first time on a leash. I spent the first 10 minutes convincing him not to attack the coil. Next time we will work on not attacking the pinpointer. When he got over the excitement of the swinging coil and realized he couldn't play with it,he flopped over and I'd drag him to the next target. Target recovery time goes downhill quick when you're trying to hold a puppy back with one hand, dig with one, and pinpoint with the other.
This park was one of my first trips out of the yard and had me ready to quit my job.I have pulled pounds of clad out of it.This trip I was happy to get some trash out of my way and find a dime. I had just made my left turn and was headed to the telephone pole with an outlet that the nearby homeless camp uses to recharge cell phones. It's always good for a handful of clad, mostly pennies. I think they make enough begging they just dump the pennies. My next target was the best signal of the day and I snapped my $20 Ace hardware digger. I have used it all summer and been happy with it until yesterday. I had a backup in the car but an hour of detecting with a puppy is about a half hour too long. I was proud of Murphy walking back to the car at a perfect heel like he knows what he's doing.

20171109_131438.jpg

20171109_125058.jpg

20171109_125740.jpg

Murphy is just adorable! Hope you get a new digger soon and get back and see what that good signal was.

Lol, I don’t think your gonna find much with him.I think if I were in your shoes I’d have just put the machine away and played with him.Congrats to the new addition

Cute pup! You're paying about twice the going rate on those Ames diggers. Go to Lowes, or buy a Fiskars.

You can buy the one below for less than $20, and it's one piece stainless (I use one), you won't break it.

attachment.php

That's an interesting choice for a hunting partner! The first time I hunted with a dog was at a homestead, and after the hunt I realised that I had spent more time throwing sticks than actually detecting! :lol:

Great looking pup, and yea it is a bit hard hunting with our furry friends..they think our detectors are fetch toys like the radio shack models:p

Same thing happened with my digger but after many years..went with a Lesche
now.

Puppy, puppy, dig, dig, puppy puppy ! dig, dig! :laughing:

My 7 in 1 planters buddy is made by the same company but the blade goes all the way to the but(I believe). Hard to find on the shelf anymore but its a great digger.

Attachments

• PICT0230 (2).jpg
    PICT0230 (2).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 146
Awww... so cute! What an adorable pup!

My dog is used to us detecting, and has learned to ignore it; although she will occasionally stick her nose in the hole, like she wants to beat me to the treasure. :lol: Other times she will dig her own holes, making me feel like a hypocrite for telling her not to. The difference is, my plugs are neat, and hers are not. :grin:

Your pup is adorable! Our GSD likes it when we're detecting, and she drops her ball in our plugs. :laughing: She also likes to dig my holes and one time she ate my coin, at least i think she did, because I saw the coin and then she came sniffed out my plug and my coin was gone! :laughing:

As for your digger, I use this 12'' Serrated Edge Digging tool For Metal Detecting from Amazon (around $14). I really like it & totally recommend it. Here are some of the neat specs considering its price-range:

• Made out of heavy duty carbon steel
  • Has a blaze orange handle (so it's harder to lose)
  • Comes with a sheath
  • Serrated edge cuts easily through roots
  • Cuts nice deep, clean plugs
  • Appears to be built surprising close to the quality of the Garrett Edge Digger (but at a fraction of the cost)

Cute pup! You're paying about twice the going rate on those Ames diggers. Go to Lowes, or buy a Fiskars.

You can buy the one below for less than $20, and it's one piece stainless (I use one), you won't break it.

attachment.php

I have 2 fiskars, one snapped, so I got a replacement, and that one is already bending like a banana! Not happy with them at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom