Advice sites

Re: About Advice

I am looking at getting my first detector and have been checking several brands & have narrowed it down to 3 choices that fit my budgit. After reading this post I am afraid to mention the brands, the manufactor of both brands claim theirs is the best. I want something for the beach & in the hills and parks around my area. I am on a disability pension so money is limited,2 of the ones I have looked at I can get for cost +10% through the store my wife works at. I am leaning in that direction but ........... on the other hand should I spend more and pay full price or what? If anyone wants to ask about my choices then I will tell the what I am looking at. Thanks

Don't be afraid to tell us your choices. That's what the forum is about. We all have budgets and we want the best we can get for our money. If you have found 3 machines for X amount of dollars, let us know what you have to choose from so you can get a better deal.

Right with you jason. i was in line to get ace250 and everyone gave me great advice but as fortune had it i am now getting whites prizm IV. I would love to have top of the line but that will come with time.
Paul

I think you did better. The Ace250 is a great machine, don't get me wrong, it's a power house. But I have always been faithfull to Whites. I have strayed a bit with a Fisher and a Tesoro, but I always come back to Whites. I hope that Garrett will see that the Ace line is very desirable and will come out with some optional coils for it like a 4"-5", and a DD. When I got the Prizm III, the V wasn't out yet and all I was loosing from the IV was the notch filter. I didn't think I would use it all that much since I tend to hunt in "All Metal" more often. You will like the Prizm, it's super light. While not the deepest machine, an optional 9.5" coil or the Big Foot should cure that.

Jason (or anyone)
I here the "DD" coil mentioned a lot, what is the difference as opposed to say a spider coil?
Thanks

OK, I'm going to "try " to explain this. Jump in if I go wrong. Regular concentric coils are shaped like a "O" and if you could see the energy coming from the coil, in a side view, it would look like an upside down triangle or cone. Now, let's use a common 8" coil as an example. If it was resting on the ground, at ground level, the "cone of energy" (Like that?), would be 8" around, at an inch deep, it may be only 7" around. And at 2 inches deep, it may be 6" around and so on until 8" deep it's just a dot. By now you should see the need to overlap your swings. Using my example, if you overlapped your swings by half the diameter of your 8" coil, theoreticaly, you would miss targets more than 4" deep between the swings. (It's alot easier to explain this in person with pencil and paper)

Here's where the DD coil is your friend. A "DD" or "Double D" is essentially two coils side by side in the shape of two "D"'s sitting back to back. The "cone of energy", instead of an upside down cone, goes straight down untill it "bottoms out" around 8"-10". They generally go a bit deeper, and the "cone of energy" is more box shaped, thus eliminating the need to overlap your swings.

Now given this, we have all heard of the "Big Foot" coils made by Jimmy Sierra right? They are a DD type coil 18" long and 3" wide. Jimmy claims that it goes as deep as a normal 8" concentric coil, but it's an 18" long "Double D". With not having to overlap your swings, at 18" you could really cover some ground!

I hope this made sense, and if I was wrong about something, I hope you guys will jump in and correct me so I will learn more.

Jason said:
OK, I'm going to "try " to explain this. Jump in if I go wrong. Regular concentric coils are shaped like a "O" and if you could see the energy coming from the coil, in a side view, it would look like an upside down triangle or cone. Now, let's use a common 8" coil as an example. If it was resting on the ground, at ground level, the "cone of energy" (Like that?), would be 8" around, at an inch deep, it may be only 7" around. And at 2 inches deep, it may be 6" around and so on until 8" deep it's just a dot. By now you should see the need to overlap your swings. Using my example, if you overlapped your swings by half the diameter of your 8" coil, theoreticaly, you would miss targets more than 4" deep between the swings. (It's alot easier to explain this in person with pencil and paper)

Here's where the DD coil is your friend. A "DD" or "Double D" is essentially two coils side by side in the shape of two "D"'s sitting back to back. The "cone of energy", instead of an upside down cone, goes straight down untill it "bottoms out" around 8"-10". They generally go a bit deeper, and the "cone of energy" is more box shaped, thus eliminating the need to overlap your swings.

Now given this, we have all heard of the "Big Foot" coils made by Jimmy Sierra right? They are a DD type coil 18" long and 3" wide. Jimmy claims that it goes as deep as a normal 8" concentric coil, but it's an 18" long "Double D". With not having to overlap your swings, at 18" you could really cover some ground!

I hope this made sense, and if I was wrong about something, I hope you guys will jump in and correct me so I will learn more.

Thanks Jason, that was very well explained. A DD coil sounds like one of those "must have" items.

Oh yes, a DD is a good addition to your arsenal.

I have ran into this very subject in regards to one of my other hobbies (astronomy) that when people ask about a particular brand of telescope, you get the same thing are you are talking about here.

What I try to do is to make a recommendation on the brands and type that I personally know something about and (hopefully) let the others do the same.

Unfortunately, this almost NEVER works that way.

For the most part from what I have read here on this forum, as responses to my questions have been kept to the particular brands that the individual has had experience with. I want to thank anyone who has responded to my post in regards to recommending a detector for my particular needs, a beginner.

Tom

Jeff R said:
Where to get some great information.
Start here
http://gometaldetecting.com/
I will be posting links in this thread that give references and advice.
Please feel free to PM me links to add or post them yourself.
I will add in manufacturer links shortly and you can add others.

Thanks
Jeff
I do not want store links or "where to buy" links. Just information to help make a purchase decision.
When you want to purchase please consider our forum supporters.

I have looked at several forums and it seems like everybody has the same problem that I had- finding the best detector for their use. I purchased a Garrett GTI 2500 and looked at the White DFX but thought it night be to complicated for me. I went home and printed the owners manual for the DFX and went back and purchased the White DFX. Now I have two great machines and there is things I like on one and other things about the other. Bottom line is I still don't know which is the best detector as I love both of them. They only thing I might add is that I am happy that I purchased them from a local dealer who will be there to help me with any problems or questions I might have.

I thought the same thing, purchase from the local dealer and he would be able to figure stuff out with me........went to my local dealer and asked him about programming my DFX......he had never done it and hadn't a clue. I get all my advice from this forum and what I don't get I find on the DFX only board and Rogers Relics :lol: :lol: It's all good though :yes:

What type of beach hunting are you wanting to do ? Salt or fresh wet or dry or a combination of both :?:

I checked out Tony's website, and I will say that he is where I will make my next detector purchase. Wish I had known at the time that he is a sponsor of this good forum and he has given some great information and advice. Last purchase was with a local old-timer(a good guy). I could have saved some money with Tony. Anyway.....................Next time, Tony!!!

Very Cool 8)
thanks for your interest. I'll do my best for you. :yes:

Advice worked for me! Now I have some advice...

The advice I got from this forum was to buy an Ace 250 and the best place to get one was at TCMetalDetectors. It was great advice.
Okay. I'm a newbie. Just got back from Florida where I did some detecting with the kids on Melbourne beach. It was great fun. Found 2 quarters, 3 nickels, lots of gum wrappers and beverage tops in about 2 hours.
Now, here is my advice (in humble tone) whether or not you would use head phones, get some anyway, even if they don't work! I can't believe the number of people who are curious and want to ask questions. They don't anger me, it just becomes such a bother when we have to keep stopping. Then there are the sarcastic jokers, "hey, has that thing paid for itself yet?" The smile on my kids faces when we found that first quarter paid for it. Some people are such dorks.
Anyway, it was an overall great experience.
I'd like to suggest geocaching to those who are the outdoor, hiking, treasure hunting types. Go to geocaching.com for more info. You can get started with an in-expensive Garmin Geko GPS ($70.00) and be on your way.
Thanks again for the great advice and to the webmasters.
Dyer Family

Back
Top Bottom