Fisher F2 and wet conditions ?

Paul2012

I'm looking to buy a new detector soon, i was seriously considering picking up a F2. But after reading some reviews I've read that in wet conditions ( Early morning dew on the grass, or after rain ) the F2 does not do well at all! It gives loads of false signals and other not so good things! This is a major problem for me, considering i will be using the F2 almost 100% of the time early in the morning when the grass is still wet!

Has anyone else had this problem ? Is it really that bad in wet conditions ?

I don't have an F2, but I do have an F75. I haven't had any problems, and I have gone detecting with a buddy in the morning, with the F2, and dew still on the ground and he never complained.

I've run my F2 in drizzle once without problems. Same with wet grass and dirt. I've ran it the creek nearby as well.

It's the beach you will have problems, can't use it in wet sand.

I have never had any problems in drizzle, rain, dew, wet grass or mud with mine, and I have found way more than my share of treasure with it.
The F2, like all the F series detectors, is a very sensitive beast and even though I usually hunt on full sense and do get some extra chatter at some sites, it really isn't necessary to do this everywhere and you can still get very deep even on lower settings.

I have all 3 concentric coils available for this one and in my experience the 8" standard coil seems to be the most sensitive to EMI, (not so much you can't use it, however), and the 10" and especially the highly recommended sniper coil much quieter over all.
The DD coil also seems to be pretty quiet and stable from other posts I have read.

I have never had any problems in drizzle, rain, dew, wet grass or mud with mine, and I have found way more than my share of treasure with it.
The F2, like all the F series detectors, is a very sensitive beast and even though I usually hunt on full sense and do get some extra chatter at some sites, it really isn't necessary to do this everywhere and you can still get very deep even on lower settings.

I have all 3 concentric coils available for this one and in my experience the 8" standard coil seems to be the most sensitive to EMI, (not so much you can't use it, however), and the 10" and especially the highly recommended sniper coil much quieter over all.
The DD coil also seems to be pretty quiet and stable from other posts I have read.

Great post! Spot on!

Digger has it spot on. If anything the machine does better in wet conditions. I have a 12x10 DD and I find it runs more stable than the 8 and the 10" concentric. I would highly recommend the machine. I have a full year under it and paid for it at least twice now.

I've run my F2 in drizzle once without problems. Same with wet grass and dirt. I've ran it the creek nearby as well.

It's the beach you will have problems, can't use it in wet sand.

It works fine on wet freshwater sand, at least for me. Found lots of great things along the river - and in the river (shallow water). Did have a few issues on a sand volleyball court where the sand was half wet and half dry but not to the point of not being able to detect. I have never tried it in/near saltwater though. I did have some falsing from wet leaves once but it wasn't that big of a problem.

Last edited:
I went out today in wet and soggy conditions in a park. I was there three days ago when it was damp as well. Today chatter the whole time i was out there. Sensitivity up or down made no difference. Used the 8 in coil and the 4 in. Both had the sams issue. Moved locations the 4 in coil was not near as good as the 8 in damp conditions. I was not pleased with my f2 today at all in wet and damp conditions. I have never found it to work well with wet grass or wet sand at ocean beaches. Dry conditions it works amazing. I hunt ocean beaches but it only works on dry sand, as welsl as land with all different soils. Took it out to Texas as well and in wet it was no fun trying to listen through the chatter. This is a big reason why I am looking for a new machines because even though the f2 is great it limits me.

I went out today in wet and soggy conditions in a park. I was there three days ago when it was damp as well. Today chatter the whole time i was out there. Sensitivity up or down made no difference. Used the 8 in coil and the 4 in. Both had the sams issue. Moved locations the 4 in coil was not near as good as the 8 in damp conditions. I was not pleased with my f2 today at all in wet and damp conditions. I have never found it to work well with wet grass or wet sand at ocean beaches. Dry conditions it works amazing. I hunt ocean beaches but it only works on dry sand, as welsl as land with all different soils. Took it out to Texas as well and in wet it was no fun trying to listen through the chatter. This is a big reason why I am looking for a new machines because even though the f2 is great it limits me.

then theres something wrong with your machine, i've used it in the rain with no problems, wet grass no problems, hell friday i was out ankle deep in mud, ground was soaked, not a problem. I've also used it in a stream once again no problems.

Hi Paul, I also have the F2, I have used it during light rain, I live in Western Wa go figure. Anyway, I do put a gallon baggie over the control unit if it's raining, I have heard the electronics do not hold up well to the moisture. They make covers for them, but the baggie works great as you usually end up getting it dirty and muddy and it's easy to replace. I have also detected in the wet sand on the Wa coast with no problems. Once in awhile you get what a call a ghost hit, but it's not often and pretty easy to figure out. I've actually dug up cans about a foot deep in the wet salt water sand. Good luck!

Just this past weekend I had my F2 act a little funny in super-super soaked ground (ground was so wet when you dug a plug it would fill with water)

I used both the 8" coil and the sniper coil - it was a little noisier than usual but not unusable. The 8" was a little noisier than the sniper. Was still able to get some clad out of the ground.

Just this past weekend I had my F2 act a little funny in super-super soaked ground (ground was so wet when you dug a plug it would fill with water)

I used both the 8" coil and the sniper coil - it was a little noisier than usual but not unusable. The 8" was a little noisier than the sniper. Was still able to get some clad out of the ground.

Mine still gives me no problems whatsoever in any kind of damp or wet conditions.
As a matter of fact, the last time I used it in some decently heavy rain with a bag over the head unit it found me a gold class ring.

Mine really didn't give me any problems it was just a bit noisier than I am used to. I really think it had to do with the saturated soil - picking up even the slightest metal in the ground - may have something to do with the soil here also.

GL and HH all

then theres something wrong with your machine, i've used it in the rain with no problems, wet grass no problems, hell friday i was out ankle deep in mud, ground was soaked, not a problem. I've also used it in a stream once again no problems.

Nothing wrong with my machine at all. What you people are NOT saying is how wet the ground is. I was out and it was swampy. I was getting chatter and false hits the whole time. My machine works fine and I have plenty of good finds to back that up. What was your sensitivity set at? What were you discriminating, What is the mineralization of your soil? I am sure these factors all come into play. I have used the F2 in snow and wet conditions as well and it worked but swampy clay grounds it does not do good in at all.

I'm looking to buy a new detector soon, i was seriously considering picking up a F2. But after reading some reviews I've read that in wet conditions ( Early morning dew on the grass, or after rain ) the F2 does not do well at all! It gives loads of false signals and other not so good things! This is a major problem for me, considering i will be using the F2 almost 100% of the time early in the morning when the grass is still wet!

Has anyone else had this problem ? Is it really that bad in wet conditions ?

I have an F2 and I love it. Used it in the snow, in the rain, and even in a river.

The only caveat I have is you can not get ANY water into the box. Other than that I've never had a situation where I got "loads" of false signals, and I can't imagine that happening. F2 is a great coin shooting unit.

Nothing wrong with my machine at all. What you people are NOT saying is how wet the ground is. I was out and it was swampy. I was getting chatter and false hits the whole time. My machine works fine and I have plenty of good finds to back that up. What was your sensitivity set at? What were you discriminating, What is the mineralization of your soil? I am sure these factors all come into play. I have used the F2 in snow and wet conditions as well and it worked but swampy clay grounds it does not do good in at all.

+1 on what mattyshore says, in my area when its super swampy it was noisy but useable.

Back
Top Bottom