Lowes True temper vs Lesche digging tool

While I was waiting for my Lesche to arrive, I bought a $14 digger with a long handle. Once the Lesche arrived I was somewhat disappointed with it. As others have stated, I found the blade on the thin side. It's serrated on only one side and not on both as some of the ones pictured here but that's my fault as I should have researched and specified better on ordering.
Another thing about the Lesche is that it's ok to cut plugs but it's a mediocre digger. My $14 digger does a much better job scooping out dirt.
So I use my no-brand, $14 job 90% of the time.
I am contemplating buying a T-handle Lesche or a T-handle Predator(?)

Agree. See my thread about Lesche digging video. After using garden shovel for months its gotten pretty easy to get in and out of hole. Maybe I need to just use Lesche only to get better. Lesche is alot better in the harder soil and does get thru roots.

mine beats both

I have tried both of these and some other tools for digging. I finally ended up using a 12 in US Navy seals combat knife. Seriously it puts both theses digger to shame. Its made for abuse ans stays razor sharp. Rocks no problem, hard dirt no problem. Trust me it will not break and comes with finger guards so when you jam it in a enemy and hit bones their is no chance of your hand sliding down the blade. The only down fall is people look at you like a serial killer when using it but who really gives a !!!!. Fifty bucks for a digger is just plain stupid to pay, there are way to many alternatives out there. Its really not rocket science it simply digging a small whole.

The Gator sold by Kellyco is a nice alternative. I think the Lesche is easier to get sharp, but the Gator is serrated on both sides and is thicker, which would make me think it's probably even tougher than the Lesche. The thickness of the Gator blade does create a lot of drag sticking it in and out of the ground though.

I had a friend fill in the notch on my Fiskars with his welder. It is a big improvement.
Fiskars.JPG

I got the dirt cheap Sunjoe Hori Hori from that big on line auction place and after a few swipes with a grinder I love it! Had 2 ex marine preppers at work want to buy it for defense and it digs like a charm.

I got the dirt cheap Sunjoe Hori Hori from that big on line auction place and after a few swipes with a grinder I love it! Had 2 ex marine preppers at work want to buy it for defense and it digs like a charm.

The Hori-Hori knife is about as close to my 30+ year old 3-in-1 knife as I've seen. I've dug through rocks, bricks, concrete and who knows what else in the past 30+ years. I have even hammered it into hard baked clay that my pick wouldn't dent. I had a Lesche and it felt weak compared to my knife.
3N1a.gif
I don't think I could break it if I tried.

What's with all the blasphemous talk about the Lesche? HOW DARE YOU!!!!:laughing: I bought my Lesche about 10 or 12 years ago. The only thing that's changed about it is it's 1/4" to 1/2" shorter (from digging 1000's of holes). Other than that it's just as good as the day I bought it. Will the TT last 10+ years...IDK, but I'm guessing it won't. I've put stress on that Lesche that would no doubt break any other digger. The Lesche is the digger of choice for a reason...quality and toughness.

I love the lesche as much as the next guy (although mine is dull now), but since I only hunt schools and very busy parks, I'm looking to go with something a little less knifey. Wilcox will probably be in my arsenal. Plus, I can scoop wood chips at the tot lots easier. I can't stand it when all I have is the lesche for wood chips or sand! :(

Back
Top Bottom