How old are these trees? Worth hunting?

SA_Digger

Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time finding locations to hunt in my area. The "old" buildings here date to the early 1900's, with most being from 1920 or so.

I have come across this church from the 1920's, and think this lot with 2 rather large trees behind it might be an okay spot to check out. The front of the church is directly on a street, so this is the only area that people may have congregated/kids may have played after or before church.

How old do these trees look to you guys?

qHm3T.jpg

Different trees grow at different rates...by the looks of the trunk I would guess 100years, some trees around my neighboring town (which I think is willows) dont look that big or old but have been here since Christopher Columbus...looks like silver potential to me!

Different trees grow at different rates...by the looks of the trunk I would guess 100years, some trees around my neighboring town (which I think is willows) dont look that big or old but have been here since Christopher Columbus...looks like silver potential to me!

Thanks,

That's what I was thinking, they seem quite big. I'm hoping people used them for shade 50+ years ago. Going to try to get out there sometime this week.

Sneak in under complete cover of darkness and cut one down and count the rings... That should give you the correct age. :laughing:

Looks like a good spot to me. A lot of grass to cover.

Good luck.

Mike

40acre1870 that was an irresponsible thing to say...you should have mentioned that to be sure and carry lots of wood glue with you so after you count the rings on the tree you put it back like you found it...:laughing:

no, i wouldn't cut them. just count the leaves, multiply by the number of branches and divide by the total length of the square-roots! :laughing::laughing:

seriously, they look like they could be about 70-100 years old to me. but just the fact there's a church right there and those large trees in a nice grassy area, it sounds like a great spot to me! :yes: :D

those are willows aren't they?

there's a way to semi-determine the age of a tree:

measure the circumference around the tree at about 4' high.
divide by pi (3.14). then multiply your answer by the tree growth factor. Sadly, couldn't find a growth factor for willows if those are willows.

from what I've read, they reach an average of 35'...but then again, if those aren't willows, I'm totally off.....

The pines across the street from me at the park are roughly 90-100 feet which means 1' per year roughly. I know they were planted in 1920-1921 so that's about ballpark.

I agree with you Joves. I always look for the big fat trees/stumps when I hit a new spot. Too many ppl sitting under them for picnics/reading/certain activities with one's date....

I once was hunting under a tree on a small sloped hill. I found 2 pockets full of quarters. My shorts were almost falling down they were so loaded down with quarters.... Trees can be awesome places to dig.

my favorite "under a tree" story: I'd seriously insta-poop myself if I hit this.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...-silver-caches-out-there-5-3-4-lbs-worth.html

Looks more like a sand live oak. Can't find the growth factor for a sand live oak, but I would say definitely 100 years or more.

Judging from the size of the trunks, I would say 100-150 yrs. Having grown up in North Florida, I know we had several oak trees in our yard that were 200+. God I miss moss in the trees...

Go by the posts from FL people that are familiar with trees. Hopefully more will confirm the species, but they look more than old enough.

It very much depends on the tree species. I can't tell what they are. A swampboat tour guide was telling us Cypress trees smaller than that were 400+ years old.

I would probably assume that they "came with the house," meaning that they were planted for shade after it was built...

Go by the posts from FL people that are familiar with trees. Hopefully more will confirm the species, but they look more than old enough.

It very much depends on the tree species. I can't tell what they are. A swamp guide was telling us Cypress trees smaller than that were 400+ years old.

I would probably assume that they "came with the house," meaning that they were planted for shade after it was built...

Right off hand, I would say the one on the right is a Laurel Oak. They can grow 50-60 ft. and having a 4-6 ft. diameter is common.

Not willows, that 'tree beard' lichen gives them the appearance of willows, but willows they are not!

I too would guess them to be at least 100 years, probably 150 or so. At first glance they reminded me of something you would see along the driveway/entrace to an old plantation house.

DEFINITITELY worth hunting!

Back
Top Bottom