• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Need advice on Detector better than "for Beginners&quot

OverRunWithSons

Husband has an old Bounty Hunter, a good 20 yrs old, he wanted to invest in something BETTER than for Beginners this time around, but their just seems to be a tremendous selection, We plan on camping at this Place with a Treasure Hunt going on, so want somethign that would be good for competition with other pros but not break the bank. He is interested in Better DEPTH than the beginers detectors. All advice really appreciated, tell us what brands to stay away from too, thanks so much! :?:

Welcome. First off decide what you want to spend MAX. This will narrow things down a bit for you. There a lot out there that can be considered junk so be careful. Once you determine the price range , we can go from there.Let me know if you need anything else.

Welcome to the forum. Two midrange machines that might be something to look at would be the new Whites Matrix M-6, and the Garrett GTP-1350. Both are good machines with good depth capabilities, and the M-6 is an easy machine to learn. The 1350 has a graphic target profile that might be something he would want in a machine. Lots of great machines out there, gonna be hard to choose. :yes:

I think the Max we want to spend is about $500. I dont' know that what we are doign is a compitition, going to some camp site that has a Treasure Hunt, never done this before, you have to Pay $30 just for the day, I think maybe they give you so much space, so maybe it is not a competition, I have no clue. We have 4 sons, & a little girl, the boys seem interested in doing the metal detecting too, so we do not want anything real complicated and want to stay away from all Junk models, so I hope that is enough info, would be nice to have the detector tell you what it has found before you dig, is that possible. I am asking for my husband, he knows more about all this than me, but I like the message boards for advice, really appreicate the Help ! :duh:

I wouldn't go anywhere without them. They have many advantages. As far as 500.00 detectors , you might want to look at the Fisher ID Excel , or the Tesoro DeLeon or the Minelab Xterra 30. All of these are excellent detectors.

Any recommendations on Head phones? I seen on an Ebay site something about Killer B headphones, looked that up and those are REALLY expensive. What is so much better about this expensive headphones? What do you all use?

Actually Killer b's are reasonable . You can buy cheaper ones and they send sound to your ears or you can buy better ones and they can send SOUND to your ears. They are clearer and can enhance quieter sounds on deeper targets.

since the subject of headphones came up,Would a High quality Audio headphones(Koss)suffice or do detector headphones have extra that make them worth the premium?these head phones seem to be cosmetically identicle to the Detector headphones made by Koss when I bought them.

headphones

Iv,e usually used headphones with a minimum threshold detector but it seems like most of the new detectors use silent search maybe with tone ID .
Just bought a prizm 4 and it is silent search with 3 tone.
I prefer Threshold as it would seem that a slight signal may not be strong enough to trigger a tone.
I am looking for a new or used detector up to about 500$ with thresholdor maybe I,m just old fashioned . I,ve heard fairly amazing reports on the fisher 1236 even though it is also silent search.
M y Wife would likely hurt Me if I bought a new detector,so would I benefit from a better pair of Headphones?.
IV,E also heard that the whites factory Could upgrade it to the prizm 5,(7 tone)and I would definately want to use the best headphones I could afford.
Sign me,not a newbie but still confused..

Back
Top Bottom