Upstate NY places and permissions

Broseph

I just ordered my first MD from Bart! I should have my Ace 250 in about 6 days. I want to know what spots are good in upstate NY (syracuse, auburn, geneva area) and what permissions do I need?

Thanks guys or any help!

I would start with your own yard.If your home is over 40- 50 years there is a good chance your yard may have silver coins.If your friends have old homes,ask them for permission.My best find(s) have been in my backyard!I would then check about your local parks.If they have some age to them you may also have good Luck there as well.good luck...ETT

Yeah, my parents yard should be fun to start in, its really dry though from the drought. Will that harm the yard? And i have found 2 nearby beaches where permits are free!!! My in inlaws have a very old house, may find much more junk, but probably more silver too!

I need help with a definition. I was told this in a permission response:

"Rules are on the permit: short version - garden spade only, replace and be certain hole is covered safely. No digging in playgrounds, athletic fields, areas closed to the public."

What is the definition of garden spade? It seems like shovels of all shapes and sizes are considered garden spades. Would I not be able to use my lesche digger? This would make me sad slightly.

How close to Rochester are you? Maybe after school starts again for he kids we could meet somewhere between and do a hunt.

How close to Rochester are you? Maybe after school starts again for he kids we could meet somewhere between and do a hunt.

Well, currently I'm about an hour and 40 away from rochester. I live in syracuse, but on the edge closest to Rochester. In a month I will be moving to a little place called seneca falls, about 40 minutes closer (a scene from "it's a wonderful life was filmed there!).

Geneva is halfway between rochester and syracuse. My grandparents live there, and there is a lake in the area. We could hunt there, it would be about an hour drive for both of us I think? It would be a great excuse for me to visit family after the hunt, I don't see them nearly enough.

I'm in Penn Yan, not so far from Seneca Falls, so look me up when you move. As far as digging tool, what I IMAGINE the interpretation to be, of a garden spade, is the small (10 inch or so) spade, with the intent being to avoid giant excavations....so I bet your Lesche would be just fine. Just my interpretation though. Also, I grew up outside of Syracuse, and have wondered about detecting some of the areas in Thornden Park, near SU. There are a lot of old parks around there and it may be worth a look to see what the regs on detecting them may be. There's one are in particular in the park that I wonder about, so if you find out its to detect, PM me and I'll share it with you. Good luck!
Scott

PS also wondered about some old sites along the canal.....

I'm not familiar with the heart of syracuse, but I am up for anything!

I just went to visit my brother who lives in Camillus N.Y. over the weekend. I did some detecting with my nephew at Long Branch Park for a couple of hours with some nice finds............There was an old amusement park there at one time. The park is part of the Onondaga Parks system and you can get a permit for free from the visitors center. If you get a chance check out the map on the wall at the visitors center. It shows the location of an old campground that we didn't have time to search. I used my lesche digger there and had no problems..........Though I really didn't see any parks dept. workers there either.

Last edited:
CNY here, brand new to the hobbie. I've got a tesoro compadre on the way and a lesche. I'm up for meeting up with someone around CNY if people are interested.

What is the conditions on the permit for the park? Does it only cover that park? And does it restrict where you can hunt?

Todd, The permit is good for any Onondaga County Park and the only restriction is they want you to stay off the baseball diamonds. No other conditions are mentioned. Took less than 5 minutes to fill out.

Sounds great, thanks for the info! Do I go to the park in Liverpool to get it? And how long is it good for?

Yes, The park office is in Liverpool. The permit is good for a year. If you get a chance take a look on the back wall and there is a map showing where an old campground was. Its across from Long Branch Park on the other side of the I-90 behind a business park on Dwight Park Dr. and the 690. If you get a chance to detect there I would be curious on how you did. I'm from Buffalo so I only get that way every 6-8 months or so to visit family in the area. Good luck !!!!

Stopped at the Griffin visitor center at Onondaga Lake Park and got the permit.
It's good at that park, she said other parks have their own permits that allow detecting. I didn't even fill anything out, they made a copy of the permit with their signature and my license and said to have fun. :)

e2yrubag.jpg

new to syracuse

new to the Syracuse area from Montana looking for some places to use my metal detector. Any suggestions ?

Back
Top Bottom