Northern California New Member Intro

nwprospector

Hi All - New here to both the forums and metal detecting - posting my intro. Been reading the forums for a few days now and can’t wait to get my hands on a detector (thinking of torturing myself and waiting for the equinox).

I’m based up in the SF bay area (northbay), would be good to hear what others opinions of hunting up here have been (lots of state parks and beaches near me - which rules out a lot of options). I enjoy taking trips way north to Tahoe & Reno - want to go on a gold hunt!

Hi All - New here to both the forums and metal detecting - posting my intro. Been reading the forums for a few days now and can’t wait to get my hands on a detector (thinking of torturing myself and waiting for the equinox).

I’m based up in the SF bay area (northbay), would be good to hear what others opinions of hunting up here have been (lots of state parks and beaches near me - which rules out a lot of options). I enjoy taking trips way north to Tahoe & Reno - want to go on a gold hunt!

You can hunt state beaches except for historic ones like China Camp. I occasionally hunt the
state beaches in Sonoma county.
Lake tahoe is a fun place to detect too,but best in the summertime.
I don't prospect but it would be fun.
Happy hunting!

You can hunt state beaches except for historic ones like China Camp. I occasionally hunt the
state beaches in Sonoma county.

Thanks for the tips on the beaches. Overall has it been a rewarding hobby in the northbay? I was kinda bummed about the no detecting in state owned land/parks - that makes up 90% of the spots I was planning to take a detector (in Marin County).

Haven't really seen many people with detectors out here (hopefully that's an advantage!).

Welcome from W. Tn. Are you going to detect for nuggets too? There should be plenty close to you. Are you a GPAA or LDMA member? They have claims and patented land open to search for gold.

Thanks for the tips on the beaches. Overall has it been a rewarding hobby in the northbay? I was kinda bummed about the no detecting in state owned land/parks - that makes up 90% of the spots I was planning to take a detector (in Marin County).

Haven't really seen many people with detectors out here (hopefully that's an advantage!).

Well it is a shame we can't hunt National park land.
I hunt in Marin for sure.:yes:
Yes it has been a great amount of fun in our area.

Last edited:
Welcome from Placer County, don’t hunt up in Tahoe it’s awful there :lol:

JK! Water levels been really high though this past summer, like chock full!

Have fun! Maybe I’ll see you around some day :) though I rarely if ever hunt over by you, have family in Novato and Alameda.

Back
Top Bottom