Got my new scoop and tried it out

Do you guys prefer the angled handle or the 90 degree straight up and down handle? I've been using my same stealth for years and back then I think the 90 degree was the only thing available. Now I'm looking at new scoops and wondering if I'd like the angled handle or not and can't decide.

I like the 20 degrees best since I hunt in the water, deep in the water means I won't be drinking much water on the deep targets. Best for me. Just got my second 720i, this time around I got the smaller holes bottom and back. Good for now I see what I was missing when the small targets fell thru. At this point I missed nothing good.

Good point. When I wear the waders at the lake and go chest deep I do sometimes take water over the bow leaning the scoop forward. I'm going to try the 20 degree scoop this time I think.

I built my first scoop 90 degrees. I eventually broke some of the welds and needed to rebuild the handle attachment. I decided to try a 20 degree setup while I had it torn apart. Huge difference in comfort for me. I didn't have to lean as far forward to scoop. And during sifting the scoop naturally tilted in a way that allows the holes in the bottom and the back to both sift giving more sifting area leading to finding my targets faster with less fatigue.

I didn't even consider ordering a 90 degree. I knew without a doubt that mine had to be a 20 degree.

Those stealth scoops are nice looking. I looked at them pretty hard but for my digging needs, I bought a Nuttall diamond head scoop instead. I hunt the local rivers and creeks where there is gravel and very little sand. There isn't much info on gravel scoops and I would be curious how well the stealth would work in the gravel and how well it would hold up over time.

Good luck with your new scoop. It should serve you well.

I ordered a new Stealth scoop. I ended up with a 720i hybrid. I nearly ordered a 920, but wasn't sure I wanted to lift it from the water full of mud. I'm glad I got the 720. My back and shoulders are already in bad shape. Besides, the Stealth scoop has a taller basket than the one I built myself, so the stealth digs more material per scoop than I was used to. The welds were beautiful and the craftsmanship was incredible. I have been a trim carpenter for years and I love attention to detail. This thing was well thought out, intelligently designed and skillfully finished!

I was having a hard time getting free time to detect, but my daughter was staying the weekend at my sister in laws this weekend and sister in law lives on a lake. So when I dropped the kid off, I snuck in a short hunt with the AT pro and the stealth. Man that scoop digs like a dream! Nothing spectacular in the finds, got a junker ring, a wheat cent and a petoskey stone. I wasn't expecting much, I detected this spot last year and there wasn't much likelihood of fresh drops.

GKlcEt4.jpg

pzMoXkN.jpg

I've had my 720 for 5 years and like it

I like the 20 degrees best since I hunt in the water, deep in the water means I won't be drinking much water on the deep targets. Best for me. Just got my second 720i, this time around I got the smaller holes bottom and back. Good for now I see what I was missing when the small targets fell thru. At this point I missed nothing good.

+1

Those stealth scoops are nice looking. I looked at them pretty hard but for my digging needs, I bought a Nuttall diamond head scoop instead. I hunt the local rivers and creeks where there is gravel and very little sand. There isn't much info on gravel scoops and I would be curious how well the stealth would work in the gravel and how well it would hold up over time.

Good luck with your new scoop. It should serve you well.

I will likely eventually buy a Nuttall just for a spare/loaner scoop and river hunting. I want something small that doesn't get swept away in the current. I'm not a big fan of cold water so going under and fanning in Michigan rivers isn't for me, except maybe late summer when the water gets it's warmest. Nothing wrong with the Stealth, I just think that a different profile might be better for rocks and current.

Back
Top Bottom