AT Pro coils....5X8, stock, or Nel?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
I've been using my 5X8 exclusively....but am thinking of getting another coil.

I have the stock coil which I might put on today to hunt a park to try to get a little more depth (although the 5X8 consistently can get 8 inches). Are the NEL coils THAT much better, and if so, how are they better? I was thinking either the Snake or one of the BIG coils.

I like the coverage of the big coils, makes hunting faster, but that would also impact target separation at trashy parks, which is where I tend to hunt.

Thoughts?

I borrowed my buddy's NEL storm coil once for my ATP. Definitely a little deeper than the stock coil. Pulled an 8"+ merc I'd missed multiple times. But in trashy areas it will drive you crazy as it will hit all the shallow trash due to its size. It does pinpoint fairly well. It's like all coils as it has it's place. Trashy parks would probably not be one of them IMHO. And it's pretty heavy. I'm considering a Thunder coil as it's a bit narrower than the storm and a little lighter. Definitely nice to have a big coil in the arsenal just use it in the right situation.

BTW, my buddy has the snake coil also. Very nice for tight areas and well made but IMO not worth buying if you already have the 5x8. I run my 5x8 90% of the time.

thanks for the info....That's what I was thinking about the snake as well...I have the 5X8, and I don't think that it would be worth the cost to get the snake.

Since I don't detect fields often...maybe I'll just stick with what I have until I "need" the depth of the bigger coils.

I've been using my 5X8 exclusively....but am thinking of getting another coil.

I have the stock coil which I might put on today to hunt a park to try to get a little more depth (although the 5X8 consistently can get 8 inches). Are the NEL coils THAT much better, and if so, how are they better? I was thinking either the Snake or one of the BIG coils.

I like the coverage of the big coils, makes hunting faster, but that would also impact target separation at trashy parks, which is where I tend to hunt.

Thoughts?
I had the stock coil for 2 years, and got the 5 x 8 this spring.

the 5x8 works great, and I will keep it on until my hay field is mowed and I'll put the 8.5 x 11 back on.

I definitely like the 5 x8 in the trash.

Just remember, if you want to get the most depth out of any coil, the coverage is the same, more or less.. In other words, all coils cover a very small area at the deepest portion of their field. That's why overlapping your swings is really important...

If you want to cover an area and get the most depth, it should take the same amount of swings regardless of coil size...

<°)))>{

Just remember, if you want to get the most depth out of any coil, the coverage is the same, more or less.. In other words, all coils cover a very small area at the deepest portion of their field. That's why overlapping your swings is really important...

If you want to cover an area and get the most depth, it should take the same amount of swings regardless of coil size...

<°)))>{

With the DD coil the field is as long as the coil so you would not have to overlap much of the coil size if I understand it correctly. Concentric Coil would be the same size at the end but even then you would get better depth with a larger coil and would still have less overlap. I'm no expert and could be wrong but this is what I have understood about it.

I had the stock coil for 2 years, and got the 5 x 8 this spring.

the 5x8 works great, and I will keep it on until my hay field is mowed and I'll put the 8.5 x 11 back on.

I definitely like the 5x8 in the trash.

The 5x8 is great in trashy areas. It separates well and is easy to swing. The stock coil goes on for the large open areas like hunting fields. Just got an NEL Sharpshooter. Looking to see how well it does.

I own a 5x8, NEL Thunder, and the stock coil for the AT Max. You can bet that I will be up early, with the big Thunder coil, sweeping fast, covering large areas,with the sensitivity low, picking all the surface finds from the firework gawkers in the park!

With the DD coil the field is as long as the coil so you would not have to overlap much of the coil size if I understand it correctly. Concentric Coil would be the same size at the end but even then you would get better depth with a larger coil and would still have less overlap. I'm no expert and could be wrong but this is what I have understood about it.

Sort of, but, I have seen plenty of times where the target is so deep, if you take the coil two inches forward or back, no response. I don't even need to pinpoint on those deepest targets because it's always centered...

<°)))>{

I own a 5x8, NEL Thunder, and the stock coil for the AT Max. You can bet that I will be up early, with the big Thunder coil, sweeping fast, covering large areas,with the sensitivity low, picking all the surface finds from the firework gawkers in the park!

I plan on using the stock coil tomorrow morning at our park. Much larger coverage

Sort of, but, I have seen plenty of times where the target is so deep, if you take the coil two inches forward or back, no response. I don't even need to pinpoint on those deepest targets because it's always centered...

<°)))>{

I agree with this. Those sweet, deep, hightones that only register in the center of the coil are the deepest, and most exciting. You still need to overlap, if you want to effectively search deep in an area, even with a large coil.

Back
Top Bottom