Hunted yesterday with my 40 year old machine

Acey

Wayne; one of my two relic hunting partners from the 80's and 90's called me last week. Wanted to go out for a little while yesterday morning. We hunted the fields in back of a Union fort which was built along the Nansemond River during the siege of Suffolk, Va.. My custom built Double Eagle is not working anymore so I put batteries in my old White 4900 Coin Master which I purchased in the early 1980's and away we went. I was very pleased with how the old White performed. Wayne has a new machine, which I don't know what it is. I'm 73 years old and Wayne has had two strokes so we planed only to hunt a few hours. We did last 2 and half hours with not a whole lot found but it was fun. Wayne got a dropped minie ball and I a full minie size melted lead; one round 57 caliber musket ball and one military button back with shank still attached. Haven't been able to read any back marking on the button as of yet. Was good to get out and we're going to try it again soon. Acey :cool:
[/LIST]

Hang in there, gettin out and about with a Whites 4900 is a lot better than watching another re run of Gunsmoke or waiting for the Equinox to show up:lol:

Heck, I'm 73 and the doctor told me to exercise by walking. He never told me I couldn't swing a loop. So I bought me a new Garret AT Max and hunt three or four times a week. One of these days I hope to find something.:?::lol:

Excellent hunting report . đź‘Ť
Way to dust of the trusty old whites .
Metal makes them all beep.
Simple as that . , Dew

I enjoy reading about your hunts of yesteryear Acey, you have some good stories.

Glad to hear you & Wayne were able to make it out for awhile, and score some relics. :yes:

My good hunting buddy from just outside of Chattanooga would tell me of the good ole days, relic hunting.

He would talk of how folk would just pull off the interstate, near Dalton and Rocky face, grab their Silver Sabers and Bandidos, and dig bullets til their arms fatigued out!

Must've been a sight to see!!

Good job, I know the pickings are slim in the Suffolk area. I hit a lot of them Forts when I was there. They have been pounded for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you are right on Blackbetty. If not hunted hard, most areas have been built over. Acey

Did ask Wayne what kind of machine he now hunts with. He told me be brought a Garrett AT Pro, and he let Jimmy try it out and Jimmy turned around and went and got him one also. Both Wayne and Jimmy have those orange, detail detectors which will find your target once you have it out of the ground and in your dirt pile. I guess it is just like the one the guy who does the metal detecting on The Curse of Oak Island uses on the show. Acey

The old machines Still sound better than the newer ones---My 47 yo Garrett Deep Seeker, which found me 120+ cannon projectiles, still has the best sound of any detector I've ever had. IF I could relive all those wonderful times!!!

The old machines Still sound better than the newer ones---My 47 yo Garrett Deep Seeker, which found me 120+ cannon projectiles, still has the best sound of any detector I've ever had. IF I could relive all those wonderful times!!!

azau13 you said a whole lot there.

IF I could relive all those wonderful times!!! Wayne called me about 2 hours ago and we talked about some places we'd like to go when all this rain gets out of here and the ground dries out some. Did talk about some of the old day hunts and Wayne asked me if I remembered the hunt when we were looking for a Corps camp on the West end of the main Union Line and we had to cross over a Beaver Dam. I mean a big, big, long Beaver Dam. Jimmy and I had already made it across and were waiting on Wayne. Wayne fell off the Dam and into the deep side. He somehow held his machine up out of the water, got back on the dam and came on across. Good thing the water wasn't very cold and the air temps were not too bad. Wayne hunted the rest of the day soaking wet. Wayne also reminded me of the time I stopped the car and backed up to a man working in his yard and asked him if he owned the little field in back of his house could we take our machines and hunt the field. The man said to help ourselves. I found all the eagle buttons to a union coat laying in a straight line in the field. Acey

Very cool hunt.
Like the use of the older machine. I had a Garrett in the early 80's.

Back
Top Bottom