New York

Fiskamon

Elite Member
To metal detect in New York city public parks and beaches, do you need to get a permit?

I have no personal experience, but I believe you do need a permit. I remember others posting on here about it. Central Park is off-limits, I believe. Someone with more info will answer, I hope.

Funny.

I was just thinking of asking the mods if there was a section we can/should use that would list permit information for the various states.

Here's the NY info which I just found out a few days ago myself....

NYC permits are free - PM me and I'll send you the .pdf of the application (too big to upload here). Return the application with a copy of valid state ID or driver's license, telephone number, address and SASE to:

Arsenal North
1234 Fifth Avenue
Room 213
New York, NY 10029

If you want to detect in the State Parks or Beaches on Long Island the fee is now $40 for a permit.

Send a check or money order for $40 payable to 'OPRHPLI' along with your name and address to:

Metal Detector Permits
P.O. Box 247
Babylon, NY 11702

Or if you're in the area you can pick the State Park one up in person by visiting the office at:

Belmont Lake State Park, Monday to Friday, 9:00 to 4:45, exit 37 North on the Southern State, cross over parkway make first right, big white mansion, Police; 631-669-1000, Permit Department.

Hope this helps!

John

Funny.

I was just thinking of asking the mods if there was a section we can/should use that would list permit information for the various states.

Here's the NY info which I just found out a few days ago myself....

NYC permits are free - PM me and I'll send you the .pdf of the application (too big to upload here). Return the application with a copy of valid state ID or driver's license, telephone number, address and SASE to:

Arsenal North
1234 Fifth Avenue
Room 213
New York, NY 10029

If you want to detect in the State Parks or Beaches on Long Island the fee is now $40 for a permit.

Send a check or money order for $40 payable to 'OPRHPLI' along with your name and address to:

Metal Detector Permits
P.O. Box 247
Babylon, NY 11702

Or if you're in the area you can pick the State Park one up in person by visiting the office at:

Belmont Lake State Park, Monday to Friday, 9:00 to 4:45, exit 37 North on the Southern State, cross over parkway make first right, big white mansion, Police; 631-669-1000, Permit Department.

Hope this helps!

John

Thanks for this info. I had no idea it had become so difficult, or reasonably so. I'm originally a Brooklyn boy from Bay Ridge now living in Delaware. I see I would have to produce a drivers Lic. Would it be a problem if mine were a Delaware Lic.?

I don't think that's a problem, they probably just want it to verify ID.

I picked up the State Park one the other day in person. Took me all of 5 minutes.

As for the NYC permit app. it really only asks for your name and address. Not much to it. Most of the info on it is for the dectectorist to list permissible places to hunt.

John

I don't think that's a problem, they probably just want it to verify ID.

I picked up the State Park one the other day in person. Took me all of 5 minutes.

As for the NYC permit app. it really only asks for your name and address. Not much to it. Most of the info on it is for the dectectorist to list permissible places to hunt.

John

Do you think when I send this in I should send a stamped self addressed envelop?

Back
Top Bottom