best way to hunt high trash.

acehunter

well i have started to hunt this 1870 property and it has a lot of trash. my detector is the mxt tracker e series.should i just start with in the coin mode with little disc. and dig every thing or in the relic mode. i just dont know where to start. i normally just coin shoot school yards and cherry pick the coins. any advice would be great.

Oh, boy! If there is a lot of shallow trash items, I would try the coin/jewelry mode without too much sensitivity, and try to clear as much trash as possible. Using a grid is going to be a must, I would think. Don't be surprised to find some interesting/good finds in with the trash. It happens, and you don't want to throw them out by accident.

Once the initial trash is handled, I would re scan the entire gridded area in relic mode and reasonable sensitivity.

Just my way of looking at it.

GL & HH

Yeah. Start out in a notch mode and a small coil would help-otherwise a slower sweep speed. If the finds are good, then right before nickel reject. If more finds surface, right at foil reject. I call it digressive discrimination. All my choice sites STARTED out that way and now I'm mostly at iron disc. since they are constant producers.:cool:

Yep, small coil like the 5.3 or the 4 x 6 shooter. Clean up the trash and you will find more good stuff. At old houses the parking area, shade trees and the ground outside the kitchen door are typically the best. If you have a lot of time, grid the whole yard. HH

i cant buy anoyher coil right now but my old 1980s coinmaster has i think an 8 inch coil and works great . i think i will use it to hit all the trash i can stand to dig then go back with my mxt. i am not sure i know how to grid a yard.

How much time do you have ?
I hunted a 1790 home, sooo much trash, there was no garbage pick up back then and much of what was tossed was burned.
I found all kinds of scrap copper and metal that seemed good til you dug it.
Unless you have lots of time I would go slow and cherry pick for a while till you find a productive area then work there.

yeah i found my self the other day alternating between digging everything until i got tired of the trash then switching over to cherry picking so i would find stuff to keep me excited about digging. as of right now i as much time as i need . i told the owners this could take years and it didnt seem to bother them. they have so far given me free reigns to do what i want. will see how long that last haha.

Back
Top Bottom