• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Diamond tester

pryan67

Forum Supporter
Since this is the year for me to find gold, I figured I'd better be prepared for the diamonds that go along with that :)

I was thinking of starting with something like this:

link

And then for a acid testing kit this one:

link2

Any thoughts on those?

If the diamond tester says it’s not a diamond them it’s not but it can’t tell you if it a diamond. There are stones that it can’t Identify as not being a diamond.

I have a diamond tester similar to that, also bought from Amazon. It's accurately identified the diamonds that I've found and I've tested it on friends' known CZ or crystals. As long as you calibrate it accurately, it is an inexpensive tool to have on hand.

I also have an acid kit like the one in your link. I think that the silver acid in it was old when I got it, because it doesn't react the way it should on known silver test scratches.

If the diamond tester says it’s not a diamond them it’s not but it can’t tell you if it a diamond. There are stones that it can’t Identify as not being a diamond.

All the hand held, electronic diamond testers, depend of the heat transfer properties of diamond. In this regard, it can differentiate between a real diamond and a CZ, but it can't differentiate between a diamond and a moissanite gem, because moissanite has the same heat transfer characteristics of a real diamond. Fortunately, moissanite gems are not too common.

I found one of those moissanite rings just before daylight one morning a few minutes after low tide. Took it to a jeweler and she said it was a very nice diamond. Later I had another jeweler look at it and he did a lot of studying and testing and said it is moissanite.

I then took it to a GIA trained gemologist and she took one look and said moissanite. There went my dreams of riches.

I found one of those moissanite rings just before daylight one morning a few minutes after low tide. Took it to a jeweler and she said it was a very nice diamond. Later I had another jeweler look at it and he did a lot of studying and testing and said it is moissanite.

I then took it to a GIA trained gemologist and she took one look and said moissanite. There went my dreams of riches.

I'd be tempted to sell it to the first jeweler :)

You really need to have both testers to be absolutely sure the diamond is real unless there is a tester that combines the two test.

Well, I'm mainly just trying to avoid CZs...the one I posted I think will at least give me an idea

The big question is what acid test kit to get. I HATE paying for shipping and Amazon doesn't have any with Prime :)

Well, I'm mainly just trying to avoid CZs...the one I posted I think will at least give me an idea

The big question is what acid test kit to get. I HATE paying for shipping and Amazon doesn't have any with Prime :)

The last two acid test I bought were from the Bay. I don't know if they were a deal or not.

Back
Top Bottom