On the Board for 2018!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
On Friday afternoon I finally got fed up with waiting for Spring - the weather was relatively warm and I had about 20 minutes to spare, so I decided to de-winterize the detecting gear and head out for a quick curb strip expedition. I didn't get far with so little time and I found next to nothing to put in the pouch (4 cents total - 3 zincolns and a copper memorial!), but the really important find was that the ground was definitely diggable!!

Today (Sunday) I had some more time available, and although we got about 3/4" of snow overnight, temps climbed rapidly to over 40F by the afternoon. So I went back to the same curb strip to finish it off and within 20 mins I had a Merc dime! And a little later in the hunt, out came a nice silver ring - my heart just about stopped when I saw the clear stone still in it! I seriously doubt it's a real diamond though, but still a super fun find - and I'm ecstatic to notch my first silvers of the year on essentially my first real hunt of 2018 :grin: I also got a surprise Wheatie (thought it was a copper memorial until I got it home), some clad, a mangled piece of older costume jewelry, and a big brass ring - maybe horse tack?

Merc out of the hole:

DugMerc.jpeg

Heart stopped for a moment with this heart shaped ring - the glint from the stone was more prominent in person!!:

DugRing.jpeg

Here they are cleaned up:

RingMerc.jpeg

And the .925 mark:

Ringmark.jpeg

Destroyed costume ring - the two pieces clearly were tacked together originally, and some sort of outrageously large decorative stone went in the center which I couldn't find in the hole:

CostumeRing.jpeg

Full hunt:

FullHunt_02182018.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome getting out!!!! This winter is killing me...LOL Can't really get out much do to the rain, snow and cold. Anytime getting out is a good time!!!

Nice finds! I wish I had some curb strips to hunt here that weren’t so close to peoples houses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome getting out!!!! This winter is killing me...LOL Can't really get out much do to the rain, snow and cold. Anytime getting out is a good time!!!

It really did feel good to get out there again - I guess it's really only been a little over 2 months, but it sure feels like an eternity! Yesterday was just enough to get the addiction kick started again, but I'm paying for it through withdrawal today...it's supposed to get into the 60s today and tomorrow, but it's raining!! Mother Nature can be just flat out cruel! :lol:

Nice finds! I wish I had some curb strips to hunt here that weren’t so close to peoples houses

Thanks, cw! I only just started targeting curb strips at the tail end of the season last year, but they are rapidly becoming my favorite, especially when I only have a short time available for a hunt. This one seemed perfect because it used to be residential lots according to the maps for 1912 and 1886, but it's been combined into a commercial business/storage yard since at least 1951 (aerial photo). Older residential homes are still right across the street, and the curb strip still gets quite a bit of foot traffic. I was hoping to get some older finds from the former residential homes that used to be there (and maybe the possible horse tack is older), but I'll take the ring and Merc regardless :yes:

Here's a pic of the strip I hunted. There's another 30' or so behind me to the street corner, and the "fluffy" tree in the distance is where I started (residential homes begin there again). The whole strip is about 230' long:

Curbstrip.jpg

Thanks, BlackBetty!

Glad you made it through the cabin fever and congratulations on the finds! Love finding those little silver rings nice Merc too.

It's certainly a great way to start a hunt with a Merc and who doesn't love finding a nice silver ring with a shinny stone in it....smiles.

We had some warmer temps here today but rain came with them. I got about an hour hunt in after the rain let up some. I took the ATP out in the sprinkles and found me a few toasted Lincolns' and a couple of coppers. The ground seemed "active" with all the soaked up rain in it. I hope our winter is just about over, I'm ready for more treasure hunting that's for sure.

HDD

Back
Top Bottom